Mayo: love it or hate it?

There are a number of incarnations of avocado mayos:

1.) Avocado oil mayo
2.) Avocado as a replacement for mayo, with various acids and seasoning.
3.) Avocado added to mayo, with various acids and seasoning.

I’ve only seen number 1 in supermarkets. It’s a bit healthier than veg oil mayo, but is pricier and stil contains eggs.

As for numbers 2 & 3, maybe just do a good guac… lot’s of ways to do it depending on which dish you’re making (including mayo if you want).

I really prefer mushrooms and swiss atop my burger and possibly with dijon. We need a ‘Burgers and all the accoutrements thread’!

2 Likes

You are correct. I think the one I see in the supermarket is the number 1 you have stated. They are significantly more expensive. Have you tried it? I haven’t.

I haven’t. I am a fan of Best Foods mayo, and while avocado oil is healthier than the soybean oil BF uses, it is no guaranty it will taste as good.

Both oils are relatively tasteless, so all things being equal I doubt there will be a difference… but in most (maybe all) cases all things won’t be equal. (c;

We have one. I just don’t know how to do the linky thingie
What goes on your burger?

ETA: created by @bbqboy and responded to by @mts Somehow I missed that thread even though I have some strong thoughts on the subject. I’ve switched that thread to Tracking in the event that it revives.

1 Like

I tried the Sir Kensington avocado mayo. I didn’t notice much difference in taste, but it separated in the jar fairly quickly, in a couple of weeks in the fridge.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

If you are referring to mayo made with avocado oil rather than neutral vegetable oil, yes, I have tried it. It’s fine if you like the flavor of avocado, but even as an avocado lover I don’t want that flavor everywhere I might want mayonnaise. I have yet to taste any “alternative oil” mayo that tastes like I want mayo to taste.

Ps: my DH doesn’t care for avocados and he HATED the avocado mayo. It is definitely NOT a neutral flavor.

Pps: I think the brand I bought was Primal Kitchen, from Costco.

2 Likes

My son the ex-chef makes a wonderful Mexican style street corn salad with avocado oil mayo and that was the only reason I had a jar of the stuff from Costco on hand. After 3 years in the fridge taking up valuable real estate, it went back to him. He said it tasted ‘off’, I thought it tasted ‘off’ from the get-go. Not a fan here.

I definitely think there are places where mayo is a must have. BLT for sure, hamburger (sans real cheese) I need it for lube with lettuce onions and tomato. Any sandwich that includes lettuce and tomato begs me for mayo on top of it all. Also need it for egg, tuna, chicken, ham salads.

2 Likes

It’s good on pork. If you use it o a pork sandwich, you might try adding hamburger dill slices for some texture. Another thing that’s great on a pork sandwich is raw cabbage, as per this place. https://johntannersbbqblog.wordpress.com/2019/08/21/the-dixie-pig-blytheville-arkansas/

3 Likes

Japan’s zeal for the stuff turned me way off of mayonnaise years ago. The damn thing is found in onigiri, hot dog buns, on fruit, but fortunately it hasn’t hit the Kit Kats yet.

(uh oh. Kewpie is going to have a Kit Kat collab now. I sense it.)

2 Likes

We had an ‘Asian fusion’ restaurant here years ago that served something like mayo or Miracle Whip on their green salad (consisting of watery iceberg lettuce, one thin cucumber slice and one snall carrot curl in a small rice bowl. I asked them what it wascand they said it was very difficult to make. The flavor kinda grew on me. Then they closed shop and split. It might have been Yum Yum or Kewpie, I dunno and I don’t want to buy a bottle of each to find out. Ideas?

It is probably heavily based on mayo, but not mayo. It may be Wafu version of Caesar Salad dressing.

1 Like

I love mayonnaise enough that it is near the base of my food pyramid. When I get store bought, it is always Duke’s. My recipe tastes very similar. Egg yolk, pinch of salt, tsp. of Dijon, juice of a lemon (not a Meyer lemon…too sweet), and a cup of peanut oil.

1 Like

I’m so glad Duke’s is now widely available here. And there are 2 things I never use strong, fruity, peppery olive oil in, because to me it’s overpowering - mayonnaise and Caesar salad dressing. Haven’t tried peanut oil, though.

It was definitely different than anything I’ve had before. Not garlickly, like Caesar might be, slightly tangy, maybe rice vinegar? They wouldn’t tell me the ingredients and now I want it. Time to play in the kitchen.

I regularly use ghee, olive, and peanut for cooking (peanut usually 50/50 with butter), better olive oil and sesame oil for finishing. Since peanut is all there is, I use it in mayonnaise and like the taste. Never felt a need to try others.

2 Likes

I find olive oil to get a little bitter sometimes when over-whipped or emulsified. Even for salad dressings or vinaigrettes I prefer a more neutral oil with just a splash of olive oil added. Unless I use my nut oils. Those are bomb.

Now that I have a proper stick blender I really should make my own again soon :slight_smile:

1 Like