What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

Are you new here :crazy_face: The longer a thread goes, the driftier it gets.

1 Like

Sure, more employment at slavery wages is just what we need.

1 Like

True true, but I was hoping the drift will be talking about puppies and kittens, or something more dramatic like this:

1 Like

Well HO history suggests it won’t be long. I did have a cat who loved McD’s fries. But then she was a salty kitty.

2 Likes

Salty cats are a big problem today. This is the problem of McDonald. Their fast foods are causing an epidemic of salty cats. We need to raise awareness.

5 Likes

Good lord, I hope not.

2 Likes

Decades ago, I used to take my cat to a vet that was right across from a McDonalds. When we were done I’d always get her a little hamburger for a treat.

5 Likes

IPSEDIXIT Yes !!! That is precisely correct ! I have been telling people this for years. Only those who understand life, the velocity of money and real economics knows this all. The only ones who benefit from any “minimum wage” are the banksters or elites as you call them. Also the big Corp. and government. Meanwhile the small businesses and middle class are pillaged of their wealth including the poor and those who earn the “minimum wage”. They earn more but pay much more percentage wise for living and consuming. No different than when the government takes your wages from your paycheck before you get it. And then gives you back a fraction of what they took in the first place. Most forget about the initial grab. So I am not surprised at how many folk think any minimum wage is good for wealth generation of the People. Minimum wage is a debt slave instrument . And just one tool to destroy America from within. The elites want a two part system of the Ruling Class and the Serfs. Just like it was in the entire world BEFORE the United States was born.

1 Like

I’d much rather see a kid in Taco Bell than in a packing plant. I started working at 10, although the law at that time said 12 (just checked - still does - Illinois). Baling hay, walking beans, detassling corn. All summer stuff.

I don’t see a problem with 14 year olds working, which is the federal guideline set by FSLA. Especially since (I believe) all states have to follow [edit - or do so voluntarily] the FLSA hour-per-week and time-of-day rules for anyone under 16 (i.e., during the school year, it must be part-time job).

Illinois has the lowest I’ve heard of (12 as mentioned above). Oregon is 14, by the way. So are many other states.

I don’t think you read your article carefully enough. Most states have a caveat for under-16 that they can’t do hazardous work, which probably[1] includes meat processing. The NPR story says the Arkansas law isn’t changing where they can work, just eliminating the permissioning requirement, so meat packing plants are still out, anyway.

But the NPR story does mention dangerous jobs like meatpacking and construction are allowed in some midwestern states like MN and IA (where, by the way, the work age is also 14).

[1] Edit - Arkansas specifically forbids meat processing, among a lot of other hazardous jobs.

2 Likes

Every job needs to pay enough to eat at Shake Shack or Five Guys.

2 Likes

Shake Shack ain’t cheap!

4 Likes

Five Guys is insane with their pricing. Until you factor in the ton of food they slap you with. But still kind of costly for a burger joint.

If you just went for fries, you could be in a carb coma pretty cheap! (Plus all the free peanuts for some protein.)

3 Likes

@CCE and @small_h , it was in jest. I find them both priced ridiculously high, and neither is close to being my favorite. If you make enough to eat at either, you are probably doing pretty well, but even people with very low incomes indulge themselves now and then.

1 Like

Oh, okay. I’m slow.

1 Like

Or a minimum age or workweek at which minimum wage is required, if the objective is “living wage”. Real thorn in side is that labor markets tend to be local, so one size cannot come close to fitting all, making such legislation a very clumsy and likely ineffective means of simultaneously addressing competition for labor and workers’ economic welfare.

3 Likes

Yeah. I took it as that joke too. Minimal wage people should have enough money to eat the “expensive” version of cheap foods. You know. When we were in college, being poor college student, eating at places like Denny’s or AppleBee is like a huge deal

2 Likes

Just stay far, far away from the way the US Gov’t does it, requiring contractors to be paid prevailing wages, creating a huge pile of pointless paperwork and not really accomplishing anything since the prevailing local wage is determined by market forces! (Davis-Bacon)

1 Like

That’s the thing. BLS data indicate that the majority of folks making minimum wage in year 1 graduate to higher paying jobs in year 2.

As I mentioned above, you can always find some poor person who’s been toiling at minwage for years on end.

But they are not the modal minwage person.

1 Like

I hate to interject with a fast food item on the fast food thread but, my cell phone carrier Mint Mobile sent me a free Jack in the Box mint shake for St. Patrick’s Day. No idea how it tastes since I got it for my kid.

9 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes