What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

I hear you about the smell being important, Claus. I used to work on the west side of a Peruvian Rotisserie Chicken place called Crispy and Juicy. I was able to eat my healthy lunch as long as the prevailing NW winds were in play, but if the winds came out of the east, my healthy lunch stayed in the fridge and I was over a C&J for a half chicken and a small arroz con frijoles, with more beans than rice. Adding a bit more fiber made it “healthy”, in my thinking. And it really wasn’t that bad, health wise. But the smell from the smokestack was nothing compared to the taste of the crispy skin and the garlicy beans and rice.
I need to visit that place one more time before I leave the East Coast in October! I am going to be in Peru by December so I can compare it to the real deal.

3 Likes

Döner and currywurst are the Berliner’s FF, too :slight_smile:

Do they just do the takeout dürum/döner, or is it a sit-down place, and if so, do they serve my latest obsession, Adana kebab?

2 Likes

Not so bad. It’s snagging them with the chopsticks that’s hard. Unless you have beginner luck.

1 Like

I always figured they would be stir-fried.

Sort of like the Chinese dish “Ants Climbing a Tree” …

2 Likes

Me too! My H went to a Mariner’s game last week, and the concessions were pushing free samples of roasted crickets on fans - no thanks for me, but H ate a couple.

I hadn’t been to McD’s in years - partly after going vegan but mostly after watching Supersize Me - but I’m ashamed to admit I am in LOVE with their McPlant burger in the UK. Beyond Meat patty with ketchup, mustard, vegan mayo, pickles, lettuce, tomato and a slice of vegan American cheese which is so scarily like the dairy version that this was my face :face_with_raised_eyebrow: So basically they’ve got me and my vegan husband back as customers after decades!

Whenever I get back to my hometown Boston, I have to hit Taco Bell. Still great even for vegan options - mmmmm potatoes in a crunchwrap, drool! I know it’s not fine dining but YUM. UK Taco Bells are nowhere near as good, which is disappointing after being so excited to have them here.

And not sure if I’m alone in this but I have never really liked Five Guys fries, I taste the peanut oil in them and it puts me off! Only ever been there in the UK though, is it different back home?

2 Likes

When I was a kid, McD’s was a treat. In adulthood, I have very frequently eaten there. Most of the time, it’s eating something the reminds me I had terrible tastes back in the day. I did like the McDLT. “Hot stays hot and the cold stays cold.”

I miss the Burger King (yeah, I know, uff!) veal parm sandwich.

1 Like

I can’t say that I much like any fast food chain. I used to find Popeye’s spicy chicken sandwich tolerable but the last time I had one the roll was soggy. Subway makes a decent enough sub but their prices have become unreasonable. I can get a much better sub at Wegmans for half the price. Furthermore, a number of chains are socially and/or politically irresponsible. I can live just fine without any of them.

1 Like

I had a Junior Cheeseburger and Chocolate Frosty-Ccino at Wendy’s on Friday. Pretty good!

1 Like

Did you see you can now get a Big Mac single patty or 3-4 patty?!

2 Likes

Much as I like the Popeye’s sandwich, they have some serious quality control issues. I’ll just say what I’ve learned. If the Popeye’s isn’t bust, don’t even go in. You’ll get hot light chicken. I don’t have one by me, but when I visit dear old mom, I go to a very busy one by her.

My paternal grandmother was a Laflamme. I’m not sure what she would have made of this.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Damn straight.

From a visit this past Labor Day weekend.

10 Likes

I loved that! I might have to stop in when I’m in Georgia for TG, but it will be a hard sell.

2 Likes

This rant was posted further downthread in the one you posted. It’s fun - “Waffle House is dirty and I like it like that” (in response to a news article about some local WH failing health inspection).

2 Likes

Awesome :rofl:

2 Likes
3 Likes