What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

I need new eyeballs, for a minute I read that as “the flies in Greece are amazing”

2 Likes

I haven’t been to Greece in way too long, but I understand the food is getting better, overall. I had some excellent food there, but in most cases it was acceptable to good, with too much salt on mostly everything, including and especially fresh fish, unfortunately. Also too much olive oil on greens or other fresh vegetables, which had been cooked to death. And I like olive oil! The best meal we had was on the coast of the Pelopponesian Peninsula, in a town I can’t remember the name of. Delicious home style cooking, along with a home prepared meal in Kalamata by distant relatives. Fabulous hospitality always, wherever we went, but we couldn’t suss out where the best food was - everyday was an adventure.
ETA: loved the cat story! And cats everywhere too.

3 Likes

Haha, well insects are the next food frontier, so get ready!

1 Like

I am leaving if we have to resort to eating flies.

2 Likes

I think many tourists unfortunately never get the good stuff.

I was disappointed on some islands, that locals would recommend tourist traps over the real deal (maybe owned by a relative)

2 Likes

True, and that is sad. Further, I’m sure there are some that have never had very good Greek food, and think it’s all like that. I’ve known a few people who insist they dislike Greek food, until they have a great meal somewhere. I hope to revisit Greece in the near future, to see how it’s changed in a culinary sense.

Every time I hear a non-Greek mention the food in Greece wasn’t good, I know they ended up at the tourist traps with the menus translated into 8 languages.

I’ve only been to Greece 4 times.

My handful of bad meals were at tourist traps, when I was stuck in a touristy area or relying on recs from the front desk of our hotel ,or TripAdvisor. I started asking staff where they like to eat on their day off, rather than asking for the best Greek restaurant in town.

In both Greece and Italy, I avoid places serving too many dishes, and places with plastic laminated menus with translations in too many languages.

3 Likes

I’m sure that’s a smart MO! Yep, it can really run the gamut - the best meals we had, with a few exceptions, we’re in the towns and villages off the beaten (tourist) path. We did have a few really outstanding meals in Athens, including the Plaka area.

1 Like

May be a good position, but, in the post I was replying to, BKeats was lauding Belgian fries in comparison to Five Guys and then added a comment about “amazing””roadkill fries”. I love LA’s Tommy’s chili fries but I don’t compare them with true, naked fries at all.

2 Likes

Speaking of Tommy’s, the charm is the thin orange stream running down your arm heading towards your elbow as you munch a chili cheeseburger.

5 Likes

Definitely. That and chasing the fries across a tilted table as it slides down that stream. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Table? What table? Is that what they call the chest-high shelf bolted to the concrete cinder blocks with the paper towel dispenser attached at eye-level?

No. One I went to years ago had a few small tables outside, up against the building. Santa Ana I think.

You are quite right. I think, at times, you find little time when it’s a shorter stop. You feel confined to the screw you food court with local specialties. Look at the crowd. Sometimes yay, some nay. I’ve been lucky with mostly yay; but have my share of nays, too.

Get thee to Rampart and Beverly !

2 Likes

I know.

I just don’t like Belgian frites very much.

I’ve never been to Belgium, but in my old job, we worked closely with various Belgian companies, so a few of the staff went to Belgium on the regular. They were always soooo happy to go, both in terms of beer, and food. I may get there someday.

3 Likes

Why, when we’ve had a Tommy’s here, in Lake Forest, for years?

I don’t want to sound like a snob, but I don’t love any fast food chain.

I do however love my local Turkish kebab/dürum & coal grill fast food restaurant called Kösk Kebab - it’s a 5 minutes walk from my condo and I visit it once a week.

The smell of charcoals and meat being grilled just makes the whole area around this fast food restaurant smell so good. When the wind blows in the right direction I can smell the charcoal grilled meat from the balcony of my condo. I never get tired of that lovely smell.

2 Likes

Might not be a chain, but it’s your fast food. I know what you mean by the smell of the kebab grill. It’s open so you get full nosefeel. LOVE that. Brings you right in.

1 Like