What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

FAME! …I gonna live forever…baby remember my name!

I know about the performing arts schools in NYC that Fame made visable to the rest of the country . I was never good enough to even dream of trying out, but I went to tryouts with kids who did.

2 Likes

I don’t dine out much anymore but have had good luck at Oceanaire in Minneapolis.

1 Like

Oh my!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

!!!

In the spirit of fast food, we would all go to Pizza Hut after cotillion.

2 Likes

My apologies. I only read “chain” and skipped over “fast food”.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Dave was saying that his own mention of ballroom dancing was outside of the fast-food realm, not criticizing you. :slight_smile:

Oceanaire is probably fast sometimes, anyway. :slight_smile:

I can’t say there’s a fast food chain I really love, though some are definitely better than others. Sometimes it matters which particular location.

3 Likes

Don’t you have Go Moose Go up there in the frozenland?

1 Like

Once a moose is going, it usually doesn’t require much encouragement. :slight_smile:

Just don’t hit one on the road - they can be over 6 feet at the shoulder and can weigh as much as a finished steer. Cars don’t usually win.

2 Likes

I thought about this some the other day. The fast food chains I love the most are those I remember from my youth. I’m not sure they have changed. The change is on my part. Still, I miss what I remember, or at least what I think I remember. A Wendy’s hamburger that is juicy but not drippy. My first Big Mac. An Arby’s roast beef sandwich. A Subway BMT built my way. A Pizza Hut pizza. All and any from before about 1988. When I try those “foods” now I’m invariably disappointed. I come closer to my memories cooking (is making a sandwich cooking?) at home. I can make a burger that makes me reminisce about a hamburger from Red Barn or Burger King that those places can’t duplicate. Memory is a strong force.

5 Likes

I think probably both.

I went to Bayside High and we’d wait for the bus home at the corner of Northern Blvd. and Bell. According to Google Maps the White Castle that was there 60 years ago is still there now. That’s a LONG run!!!

3 Likes

Although my tastebuds and sensibilities have certainly changed, there’s no question that the fast food has changed as well – partly due to recipes/ingredients, and partly due to preparation procedures. Let’s take McD’s (I’ve expounded upon this before, so feel free to ignore this lengthy tome):

I never much cared for premade burgers congealing under heatlamps, so (prior to about 1995), my SOP was to order a double cheeseburger, ketchup and onions only, as a “grill”. This ensured my getting a freshly grilled burger every time. Unfortunately, 1995 was when the chain started a nasty procedure that was internally called “Q-ing”, which meant giving their par-grilled burger meat a quick microwave before assembly (I learned of this on a Usenet group frequented by McD employees). I managed to confirm that this was a corporate-wide process when I tried to place my usual “grill” order at my local outlet, but told them “Don’t ‘Q’ it!”. A visibly alarmed manager ran out to the customer area from the back and asked me how I knew about “Q”-ing. I just told her I learned about it “on the internet”.

These days, this process seems to have evolved into something different, involving pre-cooked burgers going into pre-assembly warming ovens. All I know is, when I ask for a freshly grilled burger, it’s better than it would be otherwise, but nowhere near how it was before 1995.

As for Taco Bell and its ilk, I’m pretty sure that when I first ate it in the 70’s, they used actual spiced ground beef rather than the soy protein mixture used now. I could be wrong about that though.

3 Likes

It is and still good

2 Likes

Although I don’t consider them “fast good” I guess the really are. I am addicted to Dunkin Donut’s iced coffee’s have one a day, however I’ve also grown pretty fond of their avocado toast. It’s fairly new item, a slice of sourdough bread topped with an avocado spread and topped with the “everything bagel” mix like the one Trader Joe’s sells. A perfect morning snack vs. one of their breakfast sandwiches.

5 Likes

I never would have thought of you as an avocado toast kind of guy. So hipster.

5 Likes

What can I say? I’m more than just a pretty face ya’ know.

4 Likes

Why not just make that at home? Really?

2 Likes

1.) convenience like anything else.
2.) if I could buy individual slices of sourdough bread, it might be worth it. I don’t really care for sourdough bread, but in this case it works. However I would have to buy a loaf for the “occasional” urge
3.) ditto for the avocado although I would have more use for the left over avocado than I would sourdough bread :face_vomiting:( I really don’t like sour dough bread lol hell I don’t like rye bread either but I bought a loaf for St Patrick’s to make a few Reuben’s. Now I’ve got 3/4 loaf of rye rotting, I’m not a big fan neither is anyone else in the house

I won’t go full David Letterman on you and give you the complete Top Ten list. lol

3 Likes

Sourdough rye French toast.

1 Like