What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

Hey speaking of which (filet o fish) I haven’t seen this year’s annual commercial for it!

2 Likes

Popeyes fried flounder sandwich. Delicious, crunchy flavorful, but I’m going to remember to bring a lemon wedge to squeeze on it next time.

8 Likes

My mom is a flounder lover. Does it have any sauce on it, or is it plain?

1 Like

It had a mayonnaise type sauce, but not too much. Mine was spicy which I liked, but I don’t know if you can ask for I t spicy or mild like the chicken since they didn’t ask me.

3 Likes

Wish Popeye’s had fish sandwiches in Canada. Only chicken up here.

I have always liked salad bars. Red Barn had a good one. Someone else did also…Roy Rogers perhaps? A few fast casual places did also. I suspect COVID has pretty well killed salad bars.

That there would be a “Fixings Bar” not a salad bar there partner. (that’s my cowboy vernacular for you)
Wendy’s strangely gave a salad & AYCE pasta bar a shot in the late 80’s early 90’s. Other than that I don’t remember any other fast food style restaurants having a salad bar.

You are correct Covid has put an end to salad bars and buffets’. Though I give it 1-2 years of “no-covid” and the American public will demand their AYCE buffet’s again.

1 Like

Au contraire. I worked at Roy Rogers in Monmouth Mall for three years (in the 1980s) and we had both a “fixin’s” bar (apostrophe, who knows why, and no g) and a salad bar.

2 Likes

Really? Well as a fellow former Mall Food Employee I cannot dispute your claim!! (line cook at Ponderossa in Ocean County Mall late 80’s). All I remember is the Fixin’s bar, perhaps my most recent trip to the now defunct Edison location didn’t have one and it erased my earlier memories. lol

I stand corrected!! (@Auspicious)

I have a lot of stories from that job. Least favorite customer: Kaiser Roll Guy. He came in every day and bought a $.15 Kaiser roll, then made himself a lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle sandwich from the Fixin’s bar. I did not like this, but there was no real rule against it. Then one day he showed up with a Tupperware container and started loading it up with vegetables. So I finally go to throw him out.

8 Likes

Yes, Wendy’s did have a salad bar back then. Thought I’d hit the mother lode with their blue cheese dressing. Chunks galore. Nope, it was some kind of cubed, flavorless tofu like substance. Took the wind right out of my sails.

4 Likes

Sounds…gross

1 Like

I remember the salad bar and the “hot and juicy” hamburgers from the ad campaign. They were good a far cry from all fast food burgers of today.

4 Likes

My dad, who was crazy about salad bars. always called the fixin’s bar at Fuddruckers a salad bar. He would not be budge off of that theory.

5 Likes

I used to pile fixin’s pretty high at Fuddruckers. Anything that fell off was salad.

Does fast casual count as fast food? The Ruby Tuesday store near me closed pre-COVID and is now a Chik-fil-A. I miss the salad bar at Ruby Tuesday. Not relevant during COVID as I don’t go anywhere.

I’ve never been impressed by companies that wear their politics on their corporate sleeves so Chik-fil-A has no appeal to me.

2 Likes

The salad bar, in particular their broccoli salad, was absolutely the best thing they offered.

I’ve never been impressed by companies that wear their politics on their corporate sleeves so Chik-fil-A has no appeal to me.

Personally I haven’t felt they wear their politics on their sleeves, I think the public dragged their politics out, sewed it on their sleeve then feigned indignation. Outside of being closed Sunday I wouldn’t know anything of their religious/politics.

5 Likes

I think it is pretty apparent, as are those of Dominos and all the places that put up BLM signs in their windows. I’m an equal opportunity curmudgeon.

I guess I’m blissfully ignorant. Though I will admit I’ve never looked at Domino’s nor had their food in 20+ years so I have no clue about their politics. I am somewhat familiar to Chik Fil A but as I stated more because of backlash I’ve heard from people more than anything I’ve ever witnessed them doing.

2 Likes

Avoiding Domino’s is easy. grin

At least Chik-fil-A and Domino’s reflect their founders/owners/managers beliefs. There is integrity there missing from the virtue signaling behind BLM signs.

2 Likes

One more reminiscence. We all had to work on New Year’s Eve (although we did close early). And we were a bunch of teenagers, so obviously we were all pouring vodka into the orange drink and trying to have a good time. The vodka got to the guys on the back line (the ones who made the burgers, as opposed to the girls on the front line, like me, who worked the registers). And the guys decided to remove their pants and work bottomless for the duration of their shift. So this is my apology to anyone who unwittingly ordered a burger and had it prepared by a guy naked from the waist down. I was not savvy enough at the time (because I was 16) to realize this was very much NOT COOL, but it happened.

5 Likes