What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

If memory serves, the best thing there would be tempura green beans.

1 Like

Oh, yes.

1 Like

Wow. Talk about hyperbole!

Still in high school, my mom convinced me to get my nurse assistant cred instead. Thirty years later and still ambivalent. Just a little.

1 Like

As someone who’s diet is wrapped around CKD, I’ve seen zero so far about the true health benefits and dangers from this cascade of new products. My nephrologist wants me to eat more meat for the protein.
A fair amount of fruits and vegetables are on my no no list because of high potassium and phosphorus.
I’m gonna have to delve more deeply into what all this is really made of. I heard peas on the radio, but I have a feeling there’s a lot more involved.

1 Like

Below is a comparison between meat & plant based burgers.

Interesting. Lots of salt. And the
stuff I need to watch isn’t listed, which is par for the course.
Thanks
:slight_smile:

Are they all the same size? 'Cause if not, the comparison isn’t terribly useful.

1 Like

According to the article:
“The Bubba Burger is also the largest burger in the lineup, at 151 grams compared to Beyond Burger, Impossible Burger, and Burger King’s 113 grams.”
Besides the Bubba Burger the plant based burgers and the Burger King burger were the same size.

Beyond burger ingredients:

Here’s what’s in a Beyond Burger:

• Water
  • Pea protein isolate
  • Expeller-pressed canola oil
  • Refined coconut oil

The Beyond Burger also contains 2% or less of:

• Cellulose from bamboo
  • Methylcellulose
  • Potato starch
  • Natural flavor
  • Maltodextrin
  • Yeast extract
  • Salt
  • Sunflower oil
  • Vegetable glycerin
  • Dried yeast
  • Gum arabic
  • Citrus extract (to protect quality)
  • Ascorbic acid (to maintain color)
  • Beet juice extract (for color)
  • Acetic acid
  • Succinic acid
  • Modified food starch
  • Annatto (for color)
1 Like

Impossible burger ingredients:
According to Impossible Foods’ website, the five main ingredients of an Impossible Burger 2.0 are:

• Water
  • Soy-protein concentrate
  • Coconut oil
  • Sunflower oil
  • Natural flavors.

Impossible “meat” also contains 2% or less of:

• Potato protein
  • Methylcellulose
  • Yeast extract
  • Cultured dextrose
  • Food starch, modified
  • Soy leghemoglobin
  • Salt
  • Soy-protein isolate
  • Mixed tocopherols (vitamin E)
  • Zinc gluconate
  • Thiamine hydrochloride (Vitamin B1)
  • Sodium ascorbate (vitamin C)
  • Niacin
  • Pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6)
  • Riboflavin (vitamin B2)
  • Vitamin B12

The Impossible Burger is kosher and halal certified but not organic. A 4 ounce patty packs 240 calories, 14 grams of fat, 370 milligrams of sodium, and 19 grams of protein — a slight improvement on thenutritional profile of the original recipe, which had 290 calories, 17 grams of fat, 580 milligrams of sodium, and 27 grams of protein.

1 Like

Kind of a lazy job by Business Insider, to not compare per gram (instead of per burger), and to include only four examples. No Mcdonald’s?

1 Like

No. They only included those 4 burgers as an example. I’m not sure why they included the Bubba Burger since it is larger than the other ones and not nationwide.

>>According to Fast Company, Americans switching from beef to plant-based patties would be equivalent to taking 12 million cars off the road for an entire year.<<

A Wild Hare Claim if ever I’ve heard one.

2 Likes

After reading all that, I’m pretty sure real meat is better for me than those, especially the Impossible soy burger :hamburger:, a definite no go.

“The food company commissioned a study with the Center for Sustainable Systems at the University of Michigan to conduct a “cradle-to-distribution” life cycle assessment of its best-selling burger, made with pea protein, canola oil, coconut oil, and beat juice extract.”
I’m intrigued by beat juice.
Might finally give me that rhythm I’ve always longed for and sorely missed.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m assuming that has to do with reduced methane gasses as produced by the current cow population to supply our meat demands. So by switching to plant based burgers, fewer cows are needed, fewer cow farts are generated and that equals 12 million cars!!!

2 Likes

Pray that the cowfart/cars index never becomes standard fare on the evening news, right alongside the temperature and humidity numbers.
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

A spokesman for the brand explained that, by this assessment, Americans switching from beef to plant-based patties would be the equivalent of taking 12 million cars off the road for an entire year–or saving enough electricity to power 2.3 million homes.<<

This assertion was not claimed by The Center for Sustainable Studies, but by the manufacturer…:thinking:

2 Likes