What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

Oh dear - this means we will have another headline about a 911 call reporting the crisis!

2 Likes

I’ve tried Hardee’s perhaps 3 times in my life. It remains memorable in the sheer awfulness of each experience.

2 Likes

I had it something like 8 years ago, and it was awful then. I was hopeful because Carl Jr.'s got some positive comments here, but it was as terrible as I remembered. Service was also atrocious.

1 Like

I need to update my opinion regarding Popeye’s. One opened close to my home this past year. They have got their frying down pat - not at all greasy. All of the side dishes that I’ve tried have been up to par. They have some really good coupon too! The only quibble is I don’t find much difference between the spicy and the regular. I wish the spicy was, well, spicier!

3 Likes

Is there a relation between Carl Jr. and Hardees? I’m not that familiar with the background of either.

1 Like

They used to be 2 separate chains, but Carl’s Jr. bought Hardee’s several years ago.
I don’t know how much, if at all, the menus are different these days. I grew up in Hardee’s land and now live in Carl’s Jr. land.
:slight_smile:
Edit:

LIZZY ALFS | NASHVILLE TENNESSEAN | 8:08 am EDT June 21, 2018

|24pxx30px |24pxx24px |24pxx24px |24pxx24px

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – It’s a new dawn for fast-food chain Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. after two decades of trying to operate – and co-brand – in tandem.
Continued…

3 Likes

As much as we see these places as national brands, like Kleenex or Coke or Cap’n Crunch, they are almost 100% franchises and as such are defined by the owner’s dedication to quality of food and service. Training and supervision vary tremendously within besides among chains. It is not possible to use a broad brush when painting a picture of any brand. As DH constantly reminds me, everything in life falls on a normal curves, even quality at McDo, BurgKing and Carl’s. Walk 10 blocks and have a different experience,.

2 Likes

I totally agree. At one point I did have many (7) franchises and each had a manager and obviously different employees…and yes there was a difference in all of their performances on a daily basis, not only $$$ but quality…I realized this early on ( in the late 80’s) and made a concerted effort to have them “military” like conform… that was hard…but then again it must have worked when someone offered me ridiculous $$$ to sell and I did!

5 Likes

@PHREDDY “… I realized this early on ( in the late 80’s) and made a concerted effort to have them “military” like conform… that was hard”

I would guess like a 24/7 game of “whack a mole”!

Would we recognize the franchise? Inquiring minds want to know!

2 Likes

I’ll have to try this…

Well put. The branded franchise business model can be a difference-making head start, but how you get to the finish line is what matters.

I wonder how these will be. Let us know. For a buck you dont have too much to lose!

1 Like

One review on the bk tacos…

2 Likes

A relative amassed/accrued many dozen fast food franchises. They are not the fat cat panacea one might think. Corporate regulations and demands, local restrictions, and probably most killing, maintaining staff. I wouldn’t wish this kind of stress on my worst enemy. It takes a toll.

2 Likes

That’s the part I hear about. But I did work the register at one. Some place that served beer in NYC in the seventies, and I think I was too young. Didn’t last long.

Fast food franchising is obviously very profitable for large volume, multi-unit franchisees but I’ve been around enough retail businesses to feel for the smaller volume franchisees who pay a high percentage royalty plus marketing fees and have their pricing structure (and therefor their profit structure) set for them by the franchisor…

…or all the sleazy tactics unleashed on Franchisees by Subway that have recently come to light. :frowning:

1 Like

The reviewer obviously has never encountered deep fried tacos.
How could something as deliciously greasy and perfect be described as” This method of preparation sounds less than tacolike” ?
She doesn’t know her rear end from tacos dorados, deep fried, or taquitos or any other variations on the theme.
Now I gotta try myself to see.
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

E.g., Sean Tuohy. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blind_Side%3A_Evolution_of_a_Game )