What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

I know Wiki isn’t the best source, but this is exactly how I remember mom making them (growing up in Philly 60s-70s). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Tommy_(food)

Mom’s were always grilled and used (white) American cheese–no other condiments. Served on a hot dog bun, or in a pinch, white bread.

2 Likes

Definitely

2 Likes

I can’t remember if I’ve ever tried Jersey Mikes. Have to see if there’s one around here anywhere - as I mentioned above, some (and our closest one is in this group) JJ’s stores seem to be lower quality.

Some digging indicates a couple of things that might be relevant to those deciding whether or not to boycott Jimmy John’s due to Liautaud’s dumbass hunting excesses (WTF would want to shoot an elephant? But I digress).

One is, his last big game hunt is reported to have been in 2004 (rhino), with the elephant prior to that. Apparently the photo circulated in the boycott urgings was over 10 years old even when it first started making the rounds in 2015.

The other is, he’s no longer owner and chairman - he sold off JJ’s to another corporation about 3.5 years ago. I can’t find any evidence one way or another whether he still has any “advisory” status at Inspire (when the sale was announced in 2019 they said he’d be some kind of advisor - in my line this usually means a 6-12 month contract where the exec answers unforeseen questions that pop up after the sale).

I don’t boycott any companies, but if I were of a mind to and compiling a list, there are many that should seem to me to deserve a much higher spot on such a list - for ongoing alleged human rights/child labor abuses and other antisocial behavior - than a company whose 3+ years-ago former CEO used to shoot big game almost 20 years ago.

P.S. He also claimed that the meat from the big game hunts was eaten. I don’t know how those safari companies worked back then but let’s just say I’m skeptical. Maybe it got donated to a local village. Maybe.

3 Likes

Growing up in small town Midwest, our chamber of commerce so feared chain restaurant competition that they kept them all out (except DQ - “non-brazier”) for decades.

When they finally let DQ revamp with “brazier” foods (under pressure from other CoC members, because towns 6 miles on both sides of us had them) it was A Wonder To Behold. We young teens thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

And yes, in accordance with the CoC’s fears, having a DQ Brazier did shut down the old “Toot-n-Tellum” burger joint a mile up the highway.

1 Like

Then there’s always John Schnatter …making it easier to boycott mediocre pizza.

2 Likes

Oh, y’all, regarding Waffle House - did you know we have a “dedicated” thread?

[EDIT - I just figured out that the OneBox is posting 2 separate threads. The link in “Waffle House dedicated thread” is the one I intended. Just below that in the OneBox is another thread that links to it, something about @NotJrvedivici’s aversion to hair. LoL. ]

I haven’t been in one in ages, probably since my teens. I thought the food was okay but back then, they permitted smoking in the restaurant which was always a big turnoff for me. When I started work as an engineer we had one just outside our compound and another directly across the street from it. But that was back in the days of “smoking permitted” so I never went.

Ha! Yes, but their pizza is more than enough reason to skip that joint. I’ve tried it twice. Both times were radio call-in awards - and both times when I was simply trying to request a song or comment on a song and didn’t know a contest was going on.

The second time was near my end of term in the Army. I called in to ask for a song and the DJ told me there was a contest going on, and that the callers were supposed to guess the band who’d done the last song played. I said, “I don’t know who it is but it sounds like a badly done Eagles ripoff”.

Turns out it was indeed the Eagles - their first release from their “Hell Freezes Over” album/tour (because earlier they said they’d get back together when Hell freezes over).

So I got myself a free, quite bad, pizza.

2 Likes

Food for thought, certainly. I’ll certainly look more into it. Sometimes good things come about as an unforeseen consequence, but I hate the mentality of men with their guns who kill beautiful rare creatures for sport, to achieve some twisted feeling of machismo. The ones that only feel good when they are overpowering something or someone else. That part of it sickens me.

2 Likes

I heard about the big-game hunting later. The reason I boycott was this:

"Ditto for Jimmy John Liautaud, founder of Jimmy John’s sub shacks, who also appeared on FBN.

Like a lot of small businesses, he said that the firm is considering cutting hours of workers to 28 to get under the Obamacare cap that requires companies to either fully fund health care or pay a $2,000 fine.

“We have to do that. There’s no other way we can survive it, because we think it will cost us 50 cents a sandwich. That’s just the actual cost,” he told Fox. “If you have 40 or 50 employees at a restaurant, and the penalty is $2,000, and you’re going to pay $80,000 or $100,000 penalty, there goes the profit in your restaurant,” he added."

Overall, it seems like a terrible company. There are just better places to spend my money.

"Jimmy John’s employee in a major Midwestern city reports that the company, or at least the owner of this franchise, is following through on Liautaud’s threats.

“My manager has told all of us several times that they are going to cut our hours down to 28 or 25 hours a week, specifically because of that law,” says one Jimmy John’s employee, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation. “I work most of the time over 30 [hours a week], as do more than 50 percent of my co-workers.”

This accords with the threat analysis of UC Berkeley’s Center for Labor Research and Education, which estimates that 3.1 percent of the workforce employed by large firms are “most vulnerable to work reduction.” Workers in the restaurant, hotel, building service, nursing home, and retail trade are at greatest risk, all industries that have historically provided low pay and health benefits except when forced by law or worker organizations."

https://www.salon.com/2013/06/24/10_companies_that_threatened_to_cut_worker_hours_to_avoid_obamacare_partner/

He’s also a big Trump donor. Granted, that was in 2020 after selling off his share of the company. He bankrolls lots of Republican candidates.

3 Likes

Back in my graduate school… I used to say that I 100% support all big game hunting if they can bare hand kill the lion or the elephant. Ok… stone and rock are allowed too.

1 Like

I would agree with that. The ones that pose with their “trophies”… - what did they actually do or accomplish. They aren’t smarter, they aren’t stronger, they aren’t more athletic. They have a killing machine. That’s it.

1 Like

Sooooooo… back to Fast Food Chains [We] Love…

I love Qdoba!! I’ve always found their food to be tastier than Chipotle’s, and the 3-Cheese Queso sauce? Yum!

Unfortunately they just seem to struggle with getting a foot into the California market, so I’m not able to enjoy them as easily as I used to be able to. I’m sure the pandemic didn’t help, but I do love their food!

2 Likes

I have seen Qdoba many times, but I cannot be sure if I have had it.

Okay, they hurt their workers by cutting hours. That makes JJ’s one of the ~ 44,000 large employers (out of some 300K large employers US-wide) and over 3 million small firms[1] who said they planned to reduce part time hours to sub-30/week to avoid ACA costs.

Not to mention thousands of school systems (whether university/college or K-12) who thought they couldn’t handle the ACA costs so they cut adjunct professor hours to keep them under 30 hpw, capped work hours for students on work-study programs, capped administrator and other staff hours as well. Many hospital systems similarly capped hours.

How many of those who said they planned to cut hours actually did so? There doesn’t seem to be much follow up in the news on that. But I’d be surprised if some of them who planned to originally didn’t have a change of heart after public and media outrage about it got going.

[1] Napkin-back calculation based on survey mentioned in The Guardian and Firmographics data on employers counts by size.

We’ve got a plentiful supply around here for both chains. I would go sometimes for work if that’s what someone in the party wanted, but honestly although I thought both were good, I couldn’t really tell them apart.

Comedian Jake Johannsen said the only sporting way was for the “sportsman” to be equipped with a straw broom. Sneak up on the sleeping animal and whip it into shape.

You seem to really want to argue about this. I don’t.

1 Like

Fair enough!

What about a sword fighting dog?
This Dog Is REALLY Obsessed With Sword Fighting With Her Humans | The Dodo - YouTube

1 Like

Can we please get back to and stay on the topic?

1 Like

I went to Popeyes to get a fish sandwich, and it turned out that yesterday was the last day they had them. The chicken sandwich I got instead was fine.

3 Likes