"What does the inside of your refrigerator say about you?"

I don’t remember my parents saying “proteins”, but I don’t think they referred to fash as meat. I don’t think they referred to chicken as meat either. I can remember a close hildhood friend being excited when she had “meat” for dinner. I don’t recall how it came up but I remember the excitement on her face when she said " we’re having MEAT!".

2 Likes

Interesting read.

All our best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I shouldn’t complain - much further back in history, “meat” sometimes meant “food in general”.

1 Like

I’m thinking the recovery was in March 2020, but maybe not.

I think of “proteins” as a chemical description: beef, pork, chicken, fish, beans, soy, … Meat is animal-based protein.

This is my usage, not necessarily “right.”

2 Likes

Tofu and other soy products are one way omnivores can be more inclusive in nomenclature. They count as proteins. There must be many others

I remember picking up our son after a Saturday morning school event. He had a friend in tow and asked if he could come for lunch. Sure. So I made these two strapping teenagers mammoth hamburgers with all the fixings. The friend wolfed his with gusto, telling me afterward that his mother “didn’t really make hamburgers”. I later found out she was a devout vegan. Ooooooops.

6 Likes

Every vegan parent with more than one brain cell knows their child is going to encounter meat or animal products when they’re out somewhere. It can’t be exactly simple for them to know how to handle that, but it’s an inconvenient part of life as a vegan. It’s the same (broadly speaking) for parents who intentionally refrain from any other widespread behaviour.

Indeed. It is important for even very young children to understand that every family has (what we called) house rules, and may have very different expectations for behavior and interaction as well as dietary strictures. It starts simply with things like “shoes off”, “rough-housing in certain rooms” and progresses as children understand more difficult concepts. Like not taking advantage of things like candy dishes or cookie jars. :smiley:

2 Likes

Kinda reminds me of an acquaintance from Pennsylvania with three daughters. The oldest two would come home with some friends tagging along and they’d watch TV after school. Then my acquaintance found out that the little friends were Amish.

2 Likes

I’d forgotten about this! My daughter was prescribed that and it makes her feel like expletive!

1 Like

Lot’s of people can’t take it at all due to side effects. Doc wants to put me on another trial of it, but the extended release version. Maybe I’ll be able to tolerate that. Your daughter may want to ask her Dr. about the extended release option too.

2 Likes

Mine says “Your spouse likes to do a lot of pickling/fermenting”.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Hilariously stupid. And when that wine bottle topples the fridge shelf shatters.

4 Likes

That is not real. A professional photo shoot? A homeowner going to extremes to stage the home for sale?

4 Likes

Oh come on, FFS

1 Like

My fridge is organized, but jeez. I keep parsley in a glass of water covered loosely with a plastic bag, but my plants stay outside the fridge. Wine bottles go in a door, which has a shelf to accommodate them. I wouldn’t stack a glass bottle on top of anything.

2 Likes

Side question. Have any of you got tired of losing food in the back of a normal refrigerator and bought a counter depth fridge instead?
Did the “multi year old relish with green mold colonies growing” incidents end? If not, were they greatly reduced?
If i was better organized it would never happen but i found a tupperware container of tuna salad at the back of my refrigerator last year that nearly convinced me to burn everything in the fridge. Better yet, i could have nuked it from orbit to make sure those germs were all gone.
The other thing i am curious about is can you get a platform for your fridge that raises it up so that it is at an ergonomic height? Kind of like the lifts for clothes washers and dryers? If so, i want one for my fridge!

3 Likes

What is FFS?