"What does the inside of your refrigerator say about you?"

You get me! (Lol).

That’s a pretty funny joke. But from a different perspective. If I were the one out doing good work and walked into the house smelling of fried onions because my husband thought it was a welcome home sign that some kind of dinner would be ready sooner or later. Well, there’d be hell to pay. I hate the smell of onions frying…lol

1 Like

Ha! My one comment was going to be…“hmm, carpet in a kitchen…?”

Your fridge is like mine in that it’s packed with vegetables and a lot of sauces, condiments and jams. I also tend to have a lot of leftover boxes in there. I can’t really cook for 1, so I will almost always have some sort of leftovers. Helps when I get home from work late, but I generally don’t like leftovers. :confused:

1 Like

LOL I have a runner carpet on both sides of my kitchen (under the sink and under the oven). I get the same comments, but I love them.

My sad, sad fridge reveals the irony of chef life - spent 13 hours in my commercial kitchen yesterday, ate the last scraps of braised pork for breakfast, am left with random chocolate products, cranberry coulis leftover from a catering, and the last inch of kimchi in the foodservice sized jar.

I guess there is one broccoli crown that still counts as food :joy:

4 Likes

This makes me sad for you - I feel like dropping off a nice home cooked dinner for you @Babette!

BTW, haven’t forgotten about the black currant jelly drop off, none of the fam has been in your area of Seattle recently. But they’re excited to see your business however. So, one of these days you’ll get a surprise!

3 Likes

Mine. Quite dark.

Goodies from travel or farmer’s market.

7 Likes

Lol, it’s ok, I just stopped by Trader Joes and stocked up on snacks & frozen pizza - which I kind of subsist on anyway, but even more so in busy season.

It seems to be true about the irony, if you cook for a living. I had a friend that had a thriving lunch and dinner delivery business, yet as a family they ate takeout mostly.

During my visits there I nearly starved. She’d drop a banana off in the guest room for me, don’t think they even made or drank coffee. I flew in to do most of the floral work gratis, for her son’s wedding, told her all I needed in return was to get fed. Didn’t happen. At least I got to drive her Jaguar to pick up fast food. :joy_cat:

2 Likes

It looks so extremely neat, clean, and well organized @naf. Do I see stainless steel cabinetry in the background? I’ve heard to use WD40 as a cleaner/polisher for stainless steel; much cheaper than regular spray cleaner for appliances! Same stuff evidently.

4 Likes

Yeahhh, and it’s awful carpet haha. I just moved from FL to NJ, and am staying with my aunt until I decide where I want to find my own place. So, she’s using a small fridge upstairs (she apparently lives mostly on Diet Coke, sandwiches from the gas station, and cigarettes), but since I cook nearly every meal, I’m using the full size in the basement. I’m a vegetarian, but not a huge fan or dairy or eggs. I could rely on more processed foods, but I used to be in terrible shape, and felt like crap, so I try to eschew that kind of thing. The fake cold cuts were an experiment. Probably been in there since I moved in September, ha. I also run marathons, so I require a decent amount of food haha. I’m not big on leftovers myself, so I usually either cook something which will freeze well, or make a bunch of different meal ‘components’, and slap them together in different throughout the week.

1 Like

This is great fellow onions! Thanks so much for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I usually use a normal grease and stain cleaner to get rid of hard water stains and finish off with a pro product oil on stainless steel to protect, pretty easy to wipe clean if maintain regularly (but not my case :rofl:). In the past, I used a stainless steel cleaner, but it didn’t clean very well and ended with weird traces.

You can also apply a coat of Turtle Wax, buff it with paper towels, and that stuff is amazing to repel water and other stains. Especially good for dishwashers. RainX may work as well.

My work fridge is in better shape

4 Likes

Interesting!

Much better @Babette, now I don’t feel so bad…

2 Likes

4 Likes

What’s interesting to me about this thread is seeing what people do/do not keep refrigerated. For instance, I don’t keep olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup or hot sauce in my fridge but I see some people do. Growing up we didn’t refrigerate mustard, ketchup or jams/jelly either, but since I have so little cabinet space I do keep these things in my fridge now. Apples I don’t refrigerate and only put lemons/limes in the fridge when I get a big bag and want them to last longer.

2 Likes

Good point! I agree most of those are grey areas for me, but not maple syrup. My husband carries maple syrup in a flask when we travel. (JK, but he should). I have had that get mold and the "real " stuff can be pretty expensive.