"What does the inside of your refrigerator say about you?"

I’m rather proud of my new counter depth and I’ve been keeping things more organized than ever before.

8 Likes

Don’t we all. I’m on a search and destroy mission in my frisée this am. I am showing no mercy. Gotta make room for Moar Jars of Condiments. And cheese. Which I then forget I have. Until it molds.

3 Likes

I’ve started keeping a minimalist cheese collection: Boursin, gruyere, Parmesan and Cheddar are my current standards, and I buy specific cheeses when I need them for a recipe or a craving.

1 Like

Not to drag this topic in a serious direction, but my Father grew up in the Depression years. When i was young i used to complain about only having a couple choices for snacks and my Mom always choosing what was for dinner.
He used to say, “Son, there will always be food in the cupboard!”
It did not dawn on me until later that there had been years in his youth where there was no food to be had.
After traveling a good bit, i am even more convinced that we of the First World are INCREDIBLY lucky to be where we are in life! I take joy in dining in part because of that. I also try to pay it forward a bit. I do not do so as much as i should, but i try.
Foodbanks are my “go to” way to build my Karma via the Great Law, i.e., whatever you put out returns to you. I am not Hindu but it just seems to make sense.
One of the things i like about Hungry Onion is that it is a positive place. People bring good thoughts and leave with more positive feelings.

12 Likes

I’m curious about rules of Food Banks where you are. Some only seem to want non-perishables, but one I volunteer at has me bagging things like onions.

1 Like

Well @ChristinaM at least you have 3 (ok 2.25-ish) people to blame… (sheepishly closes own fridge and deletes pictures).

3 Likes

The view inside my fridge says I have too many jars of mustards and Asian condiments. I also have too many jars of home pickled red onions, pickled Japanese style cukes and pomegranate molasses. My crisper bins hold breads in one and cheeses and cold cuts inbthe other. The produce items go in a big perforated plastic bin. I’m always wanting a bigger fridge, but there is only two of us now. Oh, I forgot the jars of olives. I have to move jars into smaller jars and stack them to fit it all in. The roomate likes an assortment, I’m for the Kalamatas. I just checked…the are SIX jars. Time to purge or make a s-load of tapanades. Can one have too many kinds of hot sauces? I swear we have one of each kind you’d find in the grocery. If I ever remodel the kitchen, I will have separate refer for all the condimenty things!

6 Likes

My old one was pretty strict, no perishable food at all. No produce for the most part. But they did accept frozen turkeys which seemed odd. They really preferred donations of money, not food.
The one i donated to recently was more motivated. They had more demand and fewer donors. They happily took produce.
I used to buy Healthy Choice soup by the case. That seemed to work well. That and boxes of pasta and bags of rice or lentils.

3 Likes

Our food bank also takes vegetables from the garden during the summer.

Most recently, I’ve found some community fridges in Toronto where I can drop off refrigerated and frozen food as well as pantry items…

3 Likes

I love that you are a pickle fan.

4 Likes

That should read “fridge”. My auto-correct has its head in a French salad bowl.

3 Likes

SHOW us! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::wink:

3 Likes

Haha, thanks. I feel like enjoying sour things reflects good character. :wink:

What’s funny about this photo is that a bunch of foods I normally don’t purchase, including generic Cheese Whiz, Coca-Cola, sun dried tomatoes, Port wine cheese spread, battery eggs, and jarred gravy are front and center. I will fess up to those bottled salad dressings (kid). But yeah, these aren’t really representative.

The right door bottom shelf is all Chinese/other Asian condiments and seasonings, which DO reflect my tastes. :rofl: The one above it is hot sauces. My husband commented that we probably have too many mustards. That’s not a thing, is it?

4 Likes

The only thing more gauche than commenting on how ugly someone else’s wife is, is making judgments on someone else’s refrigerator.

All refrigerator contents are perfect just the way they are. They are reflections on each of us, the good the bad and everything in between.

Nothing to be ashamed of, to apologize for, nor justify to anyone.

:+1:

7 Likes

I’ve been on the road a bunch – roughly before and after 2020 – so whatever is in my fridge often depends on whether the hotel room has one. (I would seldom ask the front desk to hold something in their fridge to me, but I find it uncouth)

However, I would say the most likely candidates to be in the room fridge are chocolate milk, water, and peanuts. On top of the fridge are tomatoes and chili peppers.

1 Like

I spent the last 5 months traveling non-stop. The last 3 months i stayed almost entirely at places with refrigerators and i lengthened my average stay from 3 days in hotels to 4 days in an AirBNB or a hotel “mini suite”. Amazing how much coming home to a refrigerator full of cold food and drinks makes a stay more relaxing.
My favorites in Greece and Italy were cheeses, charcuterie, milk, local beers and white wines.
Here in my short term rental it seems that i have stocked up on booze of sundry sorts and little else.
I was happily surprised by the quality of the kimchi available in a small Montana town. But i have to find a way to isolate it a bit better. The kimchi aroma is impacting the flavor of some other items in the fridge.
And the local liquor store had Luxardo! Woohoo! Redhook, on the way!
Montana is now chockablock full of microbreweries, and some of them are making rather good beers!
This is not the same Montana i left in 1982!

Small aside, i was driving south of my temporary digs last week and saw the ranch from the TV show Yellowstone beside the road. I had no idea that Yellowstone was filmed in the Bitterroot Valley! I thought it was in Paradise Valley.

Also, the weather last week at Chief Joseph Pass, about 20 miles south of “Dutton Ranch”…

9 Likes

The empty state has as many small craft breweries and distilleries per town as it has credit unions and banks. The ranch and farm stores now sell ‘Yellowstone inspired’ clothing. I popped in to buy some Carhartts and feed and couldn’t believe it. Thank you, Hollywood!

3 Likes

I admit that i am part of the problem. I grew up in Glasgow up on the Hi Line, a town that could use another taxpayer/home owner.
But i am looking to buy a place in the Flathead or Bitterroot valleys.
And i am ok with that.

I was at Murdoch’s the other day and Carhartt still rules the roost in Hamilton, though the froofy stuff is making some inroads. LOL!

1 Like

I would bet Glasgow’s Gordon’s is a nicest grocery store for close to 60 mile radius. Certainly a bigger selection of pantry groceries that one can find in a grocery store in Moose Jaw, Saskatoon or Regina.

You’ll have to let me know if the Glasgow Pizza Hut is still running a lunch buffet if you visit any time soon. The Pizza Huts in Ontario no longer run buffets.

1 Like

I have to admit that i have never been to the Pizza Hut in Glasgow. Sam and Jeff make the best pizza at Eugene’s, so i have never been to PH.
But if i had known the Hut has a lunch buffet I would have gone to there at LEAST once! :pizza::pizza: :grinning: :pizza::pizza:

1 Like