What do you cook or bake with browned butter?

This!

Particularly hood with gnocchi and gnudi, but also works with pretty much any pasta.

Delicious!

2 Likes

Brown butter with a chiffonade of fresh sage is awfully good drizzled over a poached salmon.

1 Like
  • Put it on both sweet and savoury dumplings, sometimes with bread crumbs that are toasted in it. (South German and Austrian regional cuisines)

• Quickly warm (North Sea) shrimps in the brown butter and pour the whole thing over fried fish. Or fry finely chopped Speck in the butter and top the fried fish with it. Both ways are north German style.

• Asparagus.

1 Like

With Armenian pilaf, the vermicelli/ pasta and rice get browned in butter, and the browned butter flavour makes the pilaf especially tasty.

Brown Butter Wedding Cookies

This Hill Country Peach Cobbler starts with browned butter . I make it a few times each summer.

2 Likes

Finely sliced onions for steak

3 Likes

ASPARAGUS. That is a genius idea!

2 Likes

Yes, that cake is the best. I bake a lot with browned butter… it just adds something extra…

2 Likes

For the adventurous:

Turkish poached eggs - çılbır ("chill-beer).
(Add the paprika only at the very end or it’ll turn black)

Over seared fruit (honey added separately)

5 Likes

smitten kitchen blondies are a house favorite here at chez noodle and using browned butter really kicks them up a notch.

7 Likes

I make a browned butter sage sauce for butternut squash ravioli which is also nice. I’m not a baker…

3 Likes

Blackberry financiers.

8 Likes

@hotoynoodle,
Welcome and thank you for your input.
Your handle looks familiar to me.

In equal parts, I lust after those financiers and that pan.

3 Likes

The cast iron pan was another item I have from a great great aunt. Perfect for financiers. Not sure what she used it for.

Asparagus, green beans, really all kinds of green vegetables. I roast Brussels sprouts and dress them with brown butter and lemon juice and zest; i serve them for Thanksgiving every year.

With asparagus or green beans, I sometimes toss sliced or slivered almonds and capers in with the brown butter.

Great on roasted cauliflower, too.

3 Likes

After I made the brown butter cream cheese frosting from Dessert Person, I realized I’m unlikely to ever make plain cream cheese frosting again. The brown butter addition is a total game changer. (I do only use around two thirds of the confectioners sugar.)

I have not made the carrot cake that accompanied it in this link, but @Stef_bakes has high praise for it. There’s no paywall on this recipe if you click through this link.

6 Likes

I made that carrot cake too - it was outstanding

2 Likes

You mean anything sauced a la meunière?

Here’s a start: https://www.thespruceeats.com/brown-butter-recipes-5189310

2 Likes

In peach season I make muffins and mini loaves with peaches and berries (usually blackberries, sometimes blueberries); I’m thinking your browned-butter icing might transform these from “snacks” to desserts.

3 Likes

This sounds absolutely delicious.

1 Like