What did you eat for Christmas?

Christmas breakfast. Duck egg, crispy bacon from the farm, tomatoes, mushroom.

15 Likes

This morning, we had a tradition- Greek style fast fry pork chops with lemon, oregano, garlic and thyme. Also, a fried egg, toasted walnut bread, headcheese, some remaining Oreiller de la Belle Aurore (striped pâté en croûte below), Pineberries (white strawberries) and panforte. Hot apple cider with pumpkin pie spice. A little eggnog. Some panforte for some.

15 Likes

Wow. Sounds like y’all took care of breakfast, lunch & dinner in one fell swoop!

2 Likes

I only fried one egg for one person in our household :rofl:. I’m keeping my last 2 eggs in case I need them. Our Cdn grocery stores won’t be open until the 27th.

My goose has been defrosting in the fridge since Fri morning but it was still frozen so now it’s sitting in a cool water bath.

4 Likes

Good news! Many stores are open on the 26th, albeit with reduced hours. You can use those eggs. :slight_smile:

Risalamande

There’s a whole almond in there with the slivers/chunks. Finder was the almond queen and got a bar of chocolate.

glædelig jul!

11 Likes

Last night: small ham with Dr. Pepper (!) glaze, mashed potatoes, and buttered peas. Too full for dessert. Tonight, I’m doing the A Christmas Story movie meal: meatloaf (one vegan, one not), more mashed potatoes, sweet and sour red cabbage, and my late FIL’s fudge, which turned out crumbly but tastes good.

8 Likes

Damn, you grow bacon in your farm?

I need to move in.

6 Likes

Xmas Sunday brunch, starting off with Greek yogurt, dill and avocado dip with taro chips

6 Likes

Middle Eastern appetizer spread

13 Likes

For dinner, there is one bedrock that i always make, Oyster Stew. It’s not a stew (in my eyes), and despite being passed down from my grandmother from Minnesota, features oysters which are not native to that locale. This is the closest recipe i could find:

My version is a mix of milk and cream as the base. Otherwise it’s just oysters, butter and seasoning. Oyster crackers are a requirement, and they have to be of this variety

Other than that, i’ll just improvise with a mix of somewhat traditional sides. The only noteworthy item that i’ll feature is a Chanterelle risotto for no other reason than they just exploded in my area last week and i picked up a bunch.

Merry Christmas!
17 Likes

I’ll have to check my local stores. I don’t really need more eggs over the next 36 h, tbh.

I know Whole Foods in Yorkville is open on days most other stores are closed. In London, where I am right now, most stores are closed on the 26th!

OMG plz share where chanterelles are currently exploding! They’re one of my favorite shrooms, tho I do love them all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Time for the main dishes …

Three Cup Chicken with Rice

Chicken Pot Pie

15 Likes

I just checked on our Christmas Ham. It is cooking nicely in the slow cooker. So far… so good.

13 Likes

Meatloaf

16 Likes

Lookin good everyone I love seeing the diverse foods and the classics too

Mole is a pain in the arse. That’s what friends are for.

7 Likes

None have the smell of the chanterelle. They feel special when you find them, like gold.

Little spendier than I’d go; but, if you really want them…

2 Likes

Ham, mashed potatoes, roasted tomatoes, buttered peas. A favorite, so good!

13 Likes

My great-grandparents were married on Christmas Eve, so that was the time for all the kids, grandkids, and cousins to gather at their tiny little bungalow. God help the significant other who had to pass the Grandma test at that gathering.

Oyster soup (and yes the recipe you posted is spot on) was the featured dish, with chili (midwest chili with ground beef, kidney beans, and spaghetti in doctored-up tomato juice! ) for those who wouldn’t touch the oysters.

For a tiny town in northern Indiana I’m sure this was an absolute luxury many years, but we did it every year until my great grandmother passed.

I remember a noisy, chattering horde, playing with my cousins in the upstairs bedrooms (or in the basement if it wasn’t crazy cold), tinned pears in lime Jello, and falling asleep on the drive home so we’d be home before Santa got there.

13 Likes