What did you eat for Christmas?

Oh,man…there were whole ones on sale at the local Lucky market, choice for $5.99/pound (and I was told $12/pound at our Costco) and I was sooo trying to make it work, but it would have taken me two years to eat it. :pensive:

4 Likes

I think mom’s is fairly simple–water, brown sugar, raisins and cornstarch whisked in a saucepan until “properly” reduced.

2 Likes

@ChristinaM , This: https://youtube.com/shorts/63YZez-CqTc?feature=share
is what your varmint visitor should do, in return for all the delicacies grabbed from you.

5 Likes

A pickled egg, some grape tomatoes, and Chex mix. He proudly told me all the kids ate only Chex mix for dinner. (I made him a plate, which evidently he ignored.)

6 Likes

I’d eat that plate!

2 Likes

Brunch was overnight baked eggnog French toast stuffed with a ricotta-almond-golden raisin mixture (a nod to the flavors in the homemade Danish pastry wreath my mother made for Christmas for decades).

Dinner was this lasagne with an umami-rich mushroom, tomato, and spinach sauce, caramelized onions, béchamel, and cheese (details and link in this post), plus roasted Brussels sprouts.

And dessert was Cointreau-vanilla soufflés.

12 Likes

Where do you source your geese? I’ve only made wild ones, and they’re not very good.

Mother f’er

13 Likes

grrrrr the worst!

1 Like

My local indie butcher shop in Toronto called Sanagan’s Meat Locker. I used to email the owner in advance so he would find me a goose. He opened 2 more shops over the past 2 years and has a well-designed online shop, so I could have had a fresh or frozen goose delivered, but I bought my frozen goose at the butcher shop as a walk-in customer this year.

Other places to look for raised geese:

French butcher shops (Oliffein Toronto $$$$- $149 Cdn)

Butcher shops that bring in poultry from Mennonite, Hutterite or Amish farms
, such as Fresh from the Farm in Toronto https://freshfromthefarm.ca/

Directly from a Mennonite or Hutterite colony, or from a shop in town located near a colony. https://www.hilltopacrespoultry.com/categories/duck-geese/seasonal-geese/

In Chinatown or at a Chinese supermarket such as T&T.

Some American sources:

D’Artagnan - but I’m not ready to pay over $200 USD for a goose. My frozen Manitoban 7.8 lb goose cost $93 Cdn.

2 Likes

We use a locking cooler when necessary.

2 Likes

Grilled squirrels with pineapple reduction is ridiculously delicious.

5 Likes

Pretty close… her recipe says she added 1/2 tsp of dry mustard and 1 Tbsp of vinegar in 1.5 cup recipe.

1 Like

Squirrel is the best small game meat there is. Then you use their bones as toothpicks.

4 Likes

My Dad really liked squirrel. I never ate it with him, though.

Apps were crab cakes, hot crab dip, shrimp cocktail and cheese plate.
Mains were roast duck with sour cherry/pomegranate sauce, roast chicken (for those who don’t like duck), duck fat roasted potatoes (best thing ever - they were demolished) and frisée salad with pancetta duck fat vinaigrette.

Whole family together so 23 all in. My sister and I took the lead. I cooked 5 ducks and a chicken in 2 different ovens, each duck flipped every hour. I cooked for 8 hours straight, felt like a restaurant shift. But my BIL got a handle of delicious homemade Coquito from a Puerto Rican co-worker that I sipped on to get me through and my sis and I stashed a special champagne for cooks only. There were no leftovers.

24 Likes

what a fabulous and festive spread!

1 Like

Thanks, was nice to get everyone together. We are spread out so don’t really all get together like this other than funerals these days.

5 Likes

I used to eat fried squirrel when I don’t think I was old enough to realize what it actually was, even though I watched them being skinned, cleaned and cut up. Kind of a disconnect, I guess.

It’s very rare that I see it for sale. And then , only occasionally at the farmers market. On those occasions when we’ve seen it, the recommendation is always to treat it like rabbit.