What did you eat for Christmas?

That sounds like a wonderful meal, and a comforting time with family. Hugs to you!

3 Likes

Christmas falls on Christmas Eve. The son, daughter, son-in-law, and grand daughter are here, and the next day the daughter, SiL, and grand daughter head to Houston. We had martinis and Delice de Bourgogne while making dinner, rare prime rib with sour cream and horseradish sauce, Yorkshire pudding and gravy, fondant potatoes, and roasted Brussel sprouts. Wine was a Ridge cab. Dessert was apple pie since I was too lazy to make pudding and hard sauce. Second dessert was a 1994 Warre’s. (Wow. Just wow.) This was a good dinner. The next day was hot roast beef sandwiches on home made breadwith mashed potatoes (smushed through a tamis and stirred with Mexican crema) and gravy. Tomorrow the ribs will be roasted for onion soup. Gads, what a debauch! I guess if it had not been so cold, we could have hit the deck for a Partagas.

14 Likes

Soooo many hugs, or as many as you’d like.

1 Like

Dinner for 1 here, rare prime rib, I dropped my baked potato on the floor and had to salvage the insides, Sauvignon Blanc because actually I can’t drink red wine without my sinuses stuffing up, olive oil & lemon juice on the romaine b/c I was too bummed out after dropping the potato to make a Caesar Salad, pitiful little tray carried into the bedroom because that’s where the space heater is, and the recliner, and yes, those are cherry Tootsie roll pops. Kinda pitiful, not up to my usual standards, but the prime rib was tasty. I rarely (lol) make it because it’s too much - it’s like what they say the definition of eternity is: one person and a ham.

21 Likes

That’s a nice looking dinner for one. And does anyone really ever outgrow Tootsie Pops?

4 Likes

The jar is regularly emptied, and not by my hand alone!

1 Like

I worked with a guy that always had Tootsie Pops on his desk . . . he had to restock often (I was partial to the chocolate myself :wink:

At least now the Internet Tubes all us to indulge in our favorite flavors!

1 Like

that looks delicious!

1 Like

I remember my mom’s raisin sauce with ham, but haven’t had it in decades. It was one of the few things she did that I loved.

I’ll have to look at her recipe books to see if one exists (be nice for new years dinner).

Thanks for reminding me of it.

2 Likes

Oh,man…there were whole ones on sale at the local Lucky market, choice for $5.99/pound (and I was told $12/pound at our Costco) and I was sooo trying to make it work, but it would have taken me two years to eat it. :pensive:

4 Likes

I think mom’s is fairly simple–water, brown sugar, raisins and cornstarch whisked in a saucepan until “properly” reduced.

2 Likes

@ChristinaM , This: https://youtube.com/shorts/63YZez-CqTc?feature=share
is what your varmint visitor should do, in return for all the delicacies grabbed from you.

5 Likes

A pickled egg, some grape tomatoes, and Chex mix. He proudly told me all the kids ate only Chex mix for dinner. (I made him a plate, which evidently he ignored.)

6 Likes

I’d eat that plate!

2 Likes

Brunch was overnight baked eggnog French toast stuffed with a ricotta-almond-golden raisin mixture (a nod to the flavors in the homemade Danish pastry wreath my mother made for Christmas for decades).

Dinner was this lasagne with an umami-rich mushroom, tomato, and spinach sauce, caramelized onions, béchamel, and cheese (details and link in this post), plus roasted Brussels sprouts.

And dessert was Cointreau-vanilla soufflés.

12 Likes

Where do you source your geese? I’ve only made wild ones, and they’re not very good.

Mother f’er

13 Likes

grrrrr the worst!

1 Like

My local indie butcher shop in Toronto called Sanagan’s Meat Locker. I used to email the owner in advance so he would find me a goose. He opened 2 more shops over the past 2 years and has a well-designed online shop, so I could have had a fresh or frozen goose delivered, but I bought my frozen goose at the butcher shop as a walk-in customer this year.

Other places to look for raised geese:

French butcher shops (Oliffein Toronto $$$$- $149 Cdn)

Butcher shops that bring in poultry from Mennonite, Hutterite or Amish farms
, such as Fresh from the Farm in Toronto https://freshfromthefarm.ca/

Directly from a Mennonite or Hutterite colony, or from a shop in town located near a colony. https://www.hilltopacrespoultry.com/categories/duck-geese/seasonal-geese/

In Chinatown or at a Chinese supermarket such as T&T.

Some American sources:

D’Artagnan - but I’m not ready to pay over $200 USD for a goose. My frozen Manitoban 7.8 lb goose cost $93 Cdn.

2 Likes