What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

Mai Tais for sure, and sometimes I’ll include it in a margarita as a substitute for triple sec. I’ve never bought the blue version though.

1 Like

ohh, sounds good

Last night, a Sazerac to honor Mardi Gras. I finally got to use the cocktail atomizer I got last year.

6 Likes

After making a Rob Roy, I realized that Scotch is probably never going to be my thing.

3 Likes

After replacing a few sprinkler heads in the yard, drinking a barrel aged Manhattan. On tap from my 5L barrel

3 Likes

A Turf Club. I ended up using this recipe:

• 2 oz. Plymouth Gin
  • 3/4 oz. dry vermouth
  • 1/4 oz. maraschino liqueur
  • 1 dash orange bitters
  • 1 dash absinthe (in my case, 2 sprays from the absinthe atomizer)

Stir ingredients in a mixing glass with ice, then strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass.

4 Likes

Recently enjoyed an excellent one here:

1 Like

Since I avoid going to bars on St. Patrick’s Day, a shot of Jameson while sitting at my kitchen table.

3 Likes

The Hibiscus, from my Trader Vic’s book.

• 1 1/2 oz. Puerto Rican rum
  • Juice from 1/4 lemon
  • 1 tsp. dry vermouth
  • 1 tsp. grenadine

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4 Likes

Sounds great and I actually have all the ingredients!

2 Likes

@StephanieL thanks for posting these great drink recipes. I would like to be more adventurous and try many of your recipes (mostly gin and bourbon based). Is there a website or store that sells smaller bottles of the bitters, orgeat, liquers, mixers, etc… that you recommend? I’d like to test some of the drinks before I commit to buying a whole bottle of something I may not use again.

I have vermouth, Angosutra bitters and Amaretto in the cabinet.

Chevre lait is quite affordable at HEB.

You’re welcome! Glad you’re enjoying them. I’ve been getting most of my booze from the local BevMo! and Total Wine & Spirits–big, big selection at reasonable prices. Total always has a lot of 375-mL bottles.

Bitters generally come in pretty small bottles and last forever. If you drink a lot of cocktails, you’ll use the “Big 3” (Angostura, Peychaud’s, and either Regan’s or Fee Brothers Orange Bitters) a lot. Orgeat, grenadine, etc. also come in bottles that range from about 200 to 375 mL.

2 Likes

Most recent cocktail was what I call The Desperation: half of an airplane bottle of Aviation Gin, packet of dehydrated lime (also obtained on plane), and Perrier, mixed and sipped in my hotel room.

5 Likes

Very resourceful.

We’re not partial to most breakfast possibilities, especially when domestically airborne. So fairly recently we asked for gin in the Bloody Mary, and it turned out well. Passenger across the aisle heard the exchange and leaned over: “I’m going to try that too.”

2 Likes

It’s called a Red Snapper. I only use gin or sometimes tequila for a Bloody Maria.

1 Like

Replacing vodka with the gin’s flavors does wonders for the mix.

2 Likes

Trick Dog SF: CHINATOWN - TD Private Selection Banhez mezcal, Uruapan, 5-spice falernum, mango, chocolate, salt, lime

Last Rites tiki bar SF:

Bahama Trauma: overproof spiced rum blend, 151 proof rum, swedish punsch, apricot, lime, cinnamon syrup, cacao bitters, dried mango

ZOMBIE KILLER - overproof rum blend, coconut, pineapple, falernum, grapefruit, cinnamon, lime, absinthe.

4 Likes

When I was at Powell’s Books last month, I picked up the revised edition of David Wondrich’s Imbibe!, a history of Jerry Thomas and pre-Prohibition cocktails. I made my first drink from the book yesterday, a variation of the St. Charles Punch. (Note that the drink I made contained half these amounts.) The original version uses 1 oz. of brandy and 1 tsp. of sugarfine sugar instead of the curacao, and is served in the shaker.

–2 oz. tawny or ruby port
–2 oz. brandy
–2 tsp. orange curacao
–Juice of 1/4 lemon

Shake with ice and strain into a Champagne flute.

4 Likes

Finally got a hot day in SF so after a full day of yard work while BBQing some ribs and pork butt a G&T was in order. Added a touch of rosé vermouth and lemon and lime.

7 Likes