What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

Parche, a new upscale Colombian restaurant in Oakland, offers 3 variations on the G&T: a gin G&T made with grape gin, vermut and tonic, and pisco and tonic. I had the 3rd one last night. Not too strong, with pomegranate seeds, a lemon slice, an orange wedge, and what I think was a kumquat in the cocktail, along with a huge ice cube that had the restaurant’s logo etched into it.

5 Likes

4 Likes

It’s safe here, right? I can confess? Well, I’ve had a strange craving for… grape soda. As God is my witness, I haven’t had one since I was a kid. In summer camp. We used to pull the cork seals out of the caps and the rearrange the cork and cap so they’d stay on our camp shirts like a campaign button. The brand of soda was local, and sadly no longer exists, so I was in uncharted territory. But I knew I wanted a glass bottle, and I wanted sugar, not HFCS.

So, there I was, in a little local grocery/caterer, and in the cold case was an assortment of singles. I searched, and found a Boylan’s grape. Took it home, put it in the fridge along with a wine glass, and tested my patience.

So, I popped the cap and poured. No guzzling from the bottle! And I was transported back in time lol. It was a fun sip. I restoppered the bottle with one of those lever stoppers for my anticipated nightcap.

Which now brings me to my next experiment - how to carbonate Manischewitz :joy:

Yes, I know not to use my Sodastream - I’ve seen the pictures.

3 Likes

If you feel like doing additional experiments, how about hot mulled Manischewitz? Not a joke. I had some at a Chanukah party years ago, and the heat and spices make the wine less sweet & cloying.

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ll check it out!

The Barbara West cocktail–origin of the name unknown.

2 oz. gin
1 oz. amontillado sherry
1/2 lemon juice
1-2 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake over ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

5 Likes

Rum rhubarb old fashioned

Nutty Irishman

5 Likes

Jalapeño crush

Hemingway meets Henry

Pricy but well done - no way I could do these at home.

4 Likes

Nice! My sister turned me onto crushing jalapenos in margaritas.

1 Like

Brings out the sweetness of the pepper I’m a big fan. Your sister is on point !

1 Like

All the flavors in the jalapeño crush sound delicious. I love the name Miss Scarlet in the Study with a Wrench! Loved that game. It almost looks like garlic aioli is an ingredient lol. The last one sounds good as well, and they all should be - as you say, pricey!

1 Like

It was a really well balanced drink very refreshing. The cucumber and cilantro and pineapple really worked. Not too sour or sweet or strong tasting. The bartender had sort of a wheatgrass looking potion in her cooler made from all those green ingredients juiced that she added to the tequila and lime and pineapple juice.

Aioli was not invited to the party ! One of my wife’s many similarities with me is our distaste of mayo in all its forms!

The Tap Room is a cool spot.

During the pandemic the Huntington Library (gardens) was a refuge for my family so we decided to come back up this way and enjoy it again on grown up terms while her folks managed our kids. John and Yoko time.

On the Miss Scarlett aperol cocktail I’m intrigued especially after seeing all the orange drinks on White Lotus! Can’t drink em all at once !

2 Likes

Anejo and silver tequila, grenadine, dry curaçao, lemon and orange bitters.

5 Likes

Looks refreshing !

What kind of curaçao is the blue one ?

Had no idea about that place at Huntington Gardens! Spent most of a day at the gardens several years ago, with an old friend, most of it touring the many gardens, with a break for the full deal tea. Very enjoyable time! Later we ended up at Trader Vic’s DT, near to where H & I were staying, so a couple potent tiki drinks.
Glad you were able to get away for couple time! Very important. Also, nice to have something to return for, i.e. The Miss Scarlet. You’ll have to let me know if you try it. I love a well mixed, well balanced cocktail, high in antioxidants lol.

1 Like

Thanks @Lambchop the langham Huntington hotel is a short a walk or bike from the library / gardens. It has some nice grounds too and nice views of the mountains That’s where the bar is. I’ll be back for sure not soon enough and I’ll let you know about the Miss scarlet. I really like tiki drinks and miss the trader Vic’s in the Beverly Hilton. I don’t know if there are any more near here any more. There may be one in Emeryville.

1 Like

This stuff

5 Likes

Double hit of the orange to match the tequilas x2 then the grenadine too. Nice drink.

1 Like

A different animal from blue curacao.

1 Like

I think of the blue with the tiki drinks

What are some of your favorite drinks with either curaçao ?

1 Like