What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

A Gin Daisy, vintage 1910 or so. Perfect for a hot day in the East Bay.

–1 tsp. superfine sugar
–Juice from 1/4 lemon and 1/2 lime
–1 tsp. grenadine
–2 oz. Plymouth or Old Tom gin
–1 oz. soda water

Combine all ingredients in a silver julep cup (or 6- to 8-oz glass), fill glass two-thirds up with crushed ice, and stir until frosted. Garnish with berries (optional).

4 Likes

Since it hit 90 today, a Negroni.

8 Likes

A hot toddy with The Glenlivet 12, to chase away the blues of a head cold.

4 Likes

Discovered a new aperitivo: Mezzodi. Drink it in the late afternoon with half sparkling water and a slice of lemon. It’s light in alcohol and very refreshing, I like it to celebrate starting the evening. After 2 or so of these drinks I typically switch to wine.

5 Likes

And the fog has rolled in so we are back to Manhattans weather

4 Likes

International whisky tasting. The Kavalan Solist from Taiwan were some of my favorites

5 Likes

The La Infante:

• 2 oz. reposado or anejo tequila
  • 3/4 oz. lime juice
  • 3/4 oz. orgeat

Stir ingredients with ice and strain into a rocks glass over ice. Add a sprinkling of ground nutmeg on top.

5 Likes

Had a pour of Aberlour A’bunadh while sitting on the patio watching the rain fall and smoking a cigar. Very enjoyable whisky

Milam and Greene’s just released Very Small Batch. Terrific.

See you got a piece of Aass. Love that Norwegian brewery.

(post deleted by author)

I finally found a bottle of green Chartreuse, so I can start making some cocktails I couldn’t before, like the Last Word.

1 Like

Sour Cherry Boulevardier

5 Likes

Widow’s Kiss, a cooler-weather drink good for a night in the 50s:

• 1 1/2 oz. Calvados (I ran short and used Laird’s Applejack to make up the difference)
  • 3/4 oz. green Chartreuse
  • 3/4 oz. Benedictine
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.

4 Likes

Comparing OGD BIB with Knob Creek in OFs.

1 Like

A Honeymoon. I halved this recipe because I didn’t want too much alcohol.

• 2 oz. Calvados
  • 1/2 oz. Benedictine
  • 1/2 oz. orange curacao
  • 1/2 oz. lemon juice

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel.

3 Likes

This recipe comes courtesy of the TV show “J. Schwanke’s Life in Bloom”. (Yes, his given first name is just this initial J.) It’s a nice drink for a hot day.

Calla Lilly

• 1 1/2 oz. dry vermouth (I used Dolin Blanc)
  • 1/2 oz. Lillet Blanc
  • 1/2 oz. Benedictine
  • 1/2 oz. lemon juice
  • Dash absinthe

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled flute glass.

5 Likes

Had some neighbors in to taste a few local whiskies: Milam & Greene cask strength single barrel and their triple barrel along with Garrison’s single barrel and their Lady Bird. Plenty of Knob Creek and OGD BIB for those who like Kentucky 100 proofs. Interestingly, two pretty knowledgeable tasters chose rocks glasses over Glencairns.

3 Likes

One or two tequila and mezcals

4 Likes

I made horchata for a change. Great summer drink. Followed this recipe and loved it.

1 Like