What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

I agree. It’s currently my daily bourbon. I used to drink Stagg Jr when I could get my hands on it which is what developed my taste for the high proof stuff.

“What’s in the bourbon?” “Mostly corn.”
“What’s in the chips?” “Mostly corn.”
“What else have you got?” “Cornbread, Cornflakes, grits, corn on the cob, and some rye crackers.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A few recent cocktails:

La Louisiane:
dash Peychaud’s bitters
dash absinthe
2oz rye
0.75oz sweet vermouth
0.75oz Bénédictine
Stir and strain into glass, garnish with cherry.

My first time making this drink, which is apparently gets its name from a hotel in New Orleans. From the ingredients it looks a bit like a Vieux Carré but with more Bénédictine and with the addition of absinthe and all rye no cognac. I liked it but found it a bit on the sweet side, may be a good after dinner drink.

Aviation (used this recipe):
2oz gin
0.75oz lemon juice
0.5oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
0.25oz crème de violette
Shake and strain into glass.

Pegu Club (followed Jeffrey Morgenthaler’s Recipe)
1.5oz gin
1 oz Cointreau
0.75 oz lime juice
1 tsp simple syrup
dash Angostura bitters
dash orange bitters
Shake and strain into glass. Garnish with lime wheel.
Nice, balanced, and refreshing.

Irish Coffee (followed Jeffrey Morgenthaler’s Recipe more or less)
1.5oz Irish whiskey (I used Tullamore Dew)
2 tsp 2:1 brown sugar syrup (I just used two tsp of brown sugar)
3 oz hot, strong coffee (I used a shot of freshly brewed espresso and added hot water to make it 3oz)
1.5 oz heavy cream, lightly whipped
Preheat glass with hot water, discard water, add sugar and coffee and whiskey and stir, spoon whipped cream on top. Tasty! I haven’t been to the Buena Vista Café in SF in over a year, hopefully will get to have an Irish coffee there again one of these days.

6 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to share the recipes with us. They look good, and I really like the color the Creme Violette gives the Aviation. Love the Buena Vista, but sadly my absence from there has been much longer than yours @Mr_Happy!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder about the Pegu Club. It’s a nice one.

3 Likes

Manhattan–nice, straightforward, 3-ingredient cocktail.

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

Killed a low fill Single a barrel Wilderness Trail Rye last night. Had a lot of family over for dinner

2 Likes

Love your glasses, especially the nick & nora :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks! I’m a fan of the Nick & Nora too. This is the one in the picture I think. The coupe is a Libbey champagne coupe 5.5oz, and the Irish coffee glass is a Libbey 8054 Irish coffee glass.

Amaretto sour

4 Likes

Nice froth!

1 Like

Smith and Kearns :yum:

4 Likes

Cool glass @Respectfully_Declined! Also, that’s a pretty newish cocktail…hmmm, just happen to have all the stuff on hand. Tempting.

1 Like

I find it a perfect digestif. What did you use for cocoa? Tempus Fugit Creame de Cacao is my favorite.

During Passover, I made a tequila old-fashioned since I couldn’t have bourbon. A little on the sweet side–probably used the wrong bitters.

1 Like

I’d actually never heard of it before @Respectfully_Declined, so I googled it up. The recipes I glancingly looked at mentioned using Kahlua; upon closer review, I see that you can use Creme de Cacao also. I think it would be good with a combination of the two. I can see why you like it as a digestif though. I’ll sometimes have a kahlua and cream later on after a holiday dinner, especially if I’ve skipped dessert.

1 Like

I prefer Tempus Fugit Creme De Cacao with Half-n-Half and a splash of Fever Tree Club soda.

It tastes like a delicious creamy fudgesicle. :drooling_face:

I’ll make a note of that creme de cacao @Respectfully_Declined; I tossed an ancient, but cheap C de C a few years ago when we remodeled our kitchen, and I was organizing the drinks drawer. Might be time to replace a few things.

1 Like

I haven’t had anything…yet. But since this has been the fourth Monday of this week I am ready to start!