What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

For a fun demonstration of bitters, try three otherwise identical old fashioneds, one with Angostura, one with Peychaud’s, and one with Fee’s black walnut. In a Manhattan the bitters and the red Vermouth can almost merge, making it harder to sort out. This is especially true with my two favorites, Punt e Mes and Cocchi. Cheers!

2 Likes

thanks, i’ve never had an old fashioned, will give it a try. the grand tier perfect manhattan we liked was cocchi and punt e mas, we have to purchase punt e mas.

we’re on track for 8 manhattans a month (one per week each), thinking we have to hunt down some half bottles of vermouth.

1 Like

thanks. both have crème de cacao. yours sounds like a nice drink.

1 Like

I have over a dozen bitters, commercial and a few home made. I like using 2 types in cocktails i am using bitters in. Even my martinis have peychauds and orange bitters.

Bittermans makes an orange citrate bitter that i use in most brown cocktails i make. Not a lot of orange flavor but the citrate rounds and smooths bourbons and ryes.

They also make a chocolate bitters that is great as a second bitters as well

1 Like

Thanks. Bulleit is 95% rye as well.

If you don’t have this book, you should get a copy: Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas: Parsons, Brad Thomas, Anderson, Ed: 9781580083591: Amazon.com: Books. My wife got a copy because she likes to do home distilling, fermenting, brewing, etc.,

1 Like

Not a fan of Bulleit for non-product reasons. But I am a big fan of the redemption, the Bulleit less so.

1 Like

what are your favorite simple snacks with cocktails beer and wine ?

i like home microwave roasted nuts. usually start w raw cashews.

had a chicken skin crostini (i’m going with that)

olives for sure. i like the big green ones with pits. and plenty of stuffed olives.

apple slices

blue cheese

little bits of meat like leftover steak slices

ruffles, cape cod, zapps, cheetos

what about u

3 Likes

A Boulevardier–essentially, a Negroni but with bourbon instead of gin.

3 Likes

Barrel aged bourbon Manhattans. Recently refilled my 5L barrel with Old Grand Dad 114 and Antica vermouth. Manhattans on tap are a wonderful thing, yet dangerous

5 Likes

what kind of barrel do you use ?

i’ve had mixed results drinking these - one spot i like does a barrel aged old fashioned and it’s so smooth and nice. I’ve also had stuff like that where it is way way too woody for my taste.

sounds like a fun project and yes danger zone

A 5L barrel that I’ve had for near 8 yrs or so. If you get a barrel hydrate the barrel with water and do many water changes. The barrels are prone to leak until the wood hydrates and swells. It took longer than I anticipated to seal but it did seal.

Then fill with some cheap spirit of your choice. I was using Old Grand Dad 114 as my first spirit fill along with Antica vermouth. Which it is currently filled with. The OGD is a bit more expensive today but the Antica is quite a bit more expensive than the whiskey but is one of my favorite vermouths

cool, thanks!

so, keep changing water and let it sit a few daye until it comes out clear?

Just be patient

1 Like

Got this recipe from the Punch website. I made it half strength.

Al Sotack’s Brainstorm

2 oz. Irish whiskey
1/2 oz. dry vermouth
1/2 oz. Benedictine

Combine all ingredients with ice in a mixing glass, then stir to chill. Strain into a chilled coupe glass. Express a lemon twist over the drink, then discard the peel.

2 Likes

T n’ T

Goes well with Lebron’s tears.

4 Likes

After reading about the growing popularity of “ranch water”, I decided to try it using one of the umpteen recipes out there. It’s basically a margarita highball. The key ingredient is Topo Chico mineral water, which fortunately for me is easily obtainable at my local Grocery Outlet. All of the other ingredients can be tinkered with.

Ranch Water

1 1/2 oz. blanco tequila
1 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. orange liqueur (I used Cointreau)
Topo Chico water

Mix the tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur together in a Collins or highball glass. Add ice, then top up with Topo Chico.

3 Likes

With martinis I love jalapeño potato chips, peppered hard salami, or crostini. With whiskey I go for smoked goat cheese Gouda called Chevre Lait, seriously. Lately we have also enjoyed both fermented garlic hummus and fermented beet hummus.

1 Like

delish. crostini are great.

how can you afford chevre lait?

im with you on the jalapeno chips!

never tried fermented hummus…interesting!

1 Like

Manhattan with orange bitters (my cherry sunk!)

5 Likes