What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

Tasted this at a friend’s. My assessment was I’d rather not drink than drink this. He thought it would be better in a cocktail. Maybe.

2 Likes

I can’t even find Chartreuse, in any form. All of the stores I’ve gone to over the last several months say there are supply issues.

Our chemistry learning has long deserted us, but we’d hazard the idea that ethanol-soluble aromatics and other compounds that provide taste are what differentiate alcoholic beverages from those sold as non-alcoholic versions. In other words, it’s not the same drink, just without ethanol; ethanol is essential to the malt’s, wine’s, beer’s, etc. taste

A cocktail might improve it because you can add missing flavors… bitter and so on. But I’m not sure what this thing would be bringing to the mix other than… color?

It’s gotten to be a trendy cocktail ingredient I think there’s more demand. I’ve been trying to reel in a bottle of VEP as a gift for a while and it’s been hard too.

Got some recently at our BevMo maybe check there ?

1 Like

Bowmore 12, with a splash of water. A generous pour, despite it being increasingly difficult to find in stores around here (Boston area).

3 Likes

I had some vodka with a splash of kombucha.

Why? Dunno. Just because both were there, I guess.

1 Like

The Royal Bermuda Yacht Club:

• 2 oz. Barbados rum
  • 3/4 oz. lime juice
  • 2 tsp. falernum
  • 2 dashes Cointreau (yup, dashes)

Shake with ice and strain into cocktail or coupe glasses. It makes for a tart drink, so adjust lime juice/falernum as necessary.

4 Likes

What Barbados rum did you use?

A Toronto

4 Likes

This is Thursday morning aka the 4th Monday of the week. I am unsure whether to drink an espresso or pour a bourbon.

2 Likes

I snagged a bottle of Old Grand Dad bonded yesterday. So it’s old fashioneds tonight. There are other finer bourbons for sipping straight or with a cube, but for me OGD bonded is perfect for old fashioneds. The cinnamon note is terrific. Regular OGD is too tame and the 114 just doesn’t have that perfect balance.

I was discussing this with a friend .

Why is Iced Irish Coffee or Frozen Irish Coffee, or Iced Brazilian, Montecristo, Spanish, etc., not more of a thing?

2 Likes

Or spiked ca phe sua da!

2 Likes

Check Joyal’s Liquors in West Warwick RI if you are down that way.

1 Like

Old Fitzgerald Primo. My dad left me a few of those. Good Bourbon!

1 Like

Nothing at all wrong with OGD not Cabin Still.

2 Likes

Kaniche Reserve.

The Goldie , courtesy of the cookbook Eat Something (from the folks who run Wise Sons Deli in SF). Made in honor of one of the author’s grandmothers, who had a prune-soaked gin every morning.

In a 1-quart glass jar with a tight-fitting lid, mix 1 cup gin, 8 oz. pitted prunes, and the grated zest of 1 lemon. Store in the refrigerator between 2 weeks and 2 months. To make the cocktail, mix equal parts prune-infused gin, sweet vermouth, and Campari over large ice cubes in a rocks glass. Garnish with a strip of orange peel and one of the boozy prunes.

3 Likes

Do you taste the prunes (in the gin itself and as part of the cocktail) ?