What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #2?

Friday Mai Tai :desert_island: :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

Anyone doing dry January? I’m doing California dry January! Please take no offense Californians, I think it’s a great concept. I’m having a T&T for happy hour tonight - sadly at home, BUT it’s happy at least! Cheers!

3 Likes

Just double checked and the 1792 “Full Proof” is listed as a high rye bourbon

Tanqueray a great choice - what’s your tonic?

@MaxEntropy - it’s Q Light Tonic in a 7.5 oz can. Only 20 calories and 4 grams of sugar. Tastes great and I get 2 T&T’s out of a can! Having another tonight. Cheers!

A Sazerac from one of the local bars.

Kentucky Mule, with a couple dashes of cardamom bitters just to mix it up

4 Likes

From Drinking the Devil’s Acre , I present the Cable Car, a Sidecar variant:

• Lemon wedge and cinnamon sugar
  • 1 1/2 oz. spiced rum
  • 1/2 oz. orange curacao
  • 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 oz. simple syrup

Dampen the rim of a coupe or cocktail glass with the lemon wedge, then coat with the cinnamon sugar. Pour the rum, curacao, lemon juice, and simple syrup into a mixing glass, add ice, and shake and strain into the drinking glasses. Garnish with an expressed orange peel.

3 Likes

I’m thinking this could work nicely with an Añejo instead of a spiced rum. What are you using for rum?

Kraken, but we’re nearly at the end of the bottle so we may get something a little fancier. And if you do use tequila, make sure it’s one that won’t clash with the cinnamon sugar rim.

Thx. The Añejo I’m thinking of is a bottle of Bacardi (rum) I hand-carried from my last visit to Puerto Rico.

Ah, I thought you were asking about spiced rum specifically. We have several different rums, including an 8-year-old Bacardi (not bought in PR, alas).

Rum Sour

5 Likes

An original Martinez: 1 1/2 oz. gin, 3/4 oz. sweet (Italian) vermouth, 1/4 oz. maraschino liqueur, 2 dashes Regan’s orange bitters. Stirred over ice, not shaken.

4 Likes

Comparing Beluga Gold with cheap Belvedere. I can’t taste a difference.

2 Likes

…so, transitioned to a Bloody Mary with celery salt. :yum:

5 Likes

Different vodkas are tasting so similar (particular if you serve them cold) that in blind tastings even experts often can’t differentiate between low and high end ones. I see vodka more as a possible empty canvas to create cocktails (for those who are new/afraid of more complex tasting spirits

4 Likes

I normally like nearly every cocktail but Bloody Mary is the one I don’t get - I have tried high-end, cheap ones etc. but they all taste horrible (and I like the different components but they don’t come together in this cocktail)

1 Like

Do you drink gin?

Yes