What cookware brands do you find in restaurants ?

I know a few chefs and for that reason have I been in 15-20 or so different restaurant kitchens in Denmark.

Since I’m also a cookware enthusiast I often ask if it’s possible to see the kitchens of the restaurants I visit.

I mainly see cheap aluminium pans, non stick pans, stainless steel pans and pots, some PLY pans and pots and a good deal of enamelled cookware. I rarely ever see copper cookware in such places.

On a high output stovetop the quality of cookware becomes less important.

The skilled professional chefs can cook with just about anything on these high output stovetops and deliver restaurant dishes day in and day out.

Yet as a cookware enthusiast I find it interesting, when I see known cookware brands in use at these places.

This thread is dedicated to these places, where you see certain interesting cookware brands in use.

Whether it’s cheap cookware brands or expensive cookware brands doesn’t matter.

5 Likes

Restaurant Aperitif in Bali.

Making a special version of Beef Wellington using, among other pans, a Demeyere Proline 24 cm frying pan.
I also see some Demeyere Apollo pots in use there.

Link

1 Like

Yannick Alleno use Mauviel stainless steel (M’Cook) and copper pots in his kitchens. The handle is easy to recognize.

2 Likes

Restaurant Delahunt in Dublin, Ireland.

Using a De Buyer Mineral B carbon steel frying pan.
That pan looks very well seasoned indeed.

Link

3 Likes

Hi Claus,

Thanks for posting the videos, I really do enjoy watching them.

Olunia

3 Likes

Hi Claus,

The SOCAL restaurants that I frequent are using uninteresting restaurant supply pots and pans, but I have friends at elite senior citizen facilities that use higher level pots and pans–especially when they put on special inhouse catered buffets for Holiday events.

I am especially familiar with a facility down the street from Disneyland in Orange County. They have been very restrictive under Covid 19, so it’s been some time since I’ve visited a friend there, but when I next get a chance to visit, I’ll try to give you an update.

Ray

2 Likes

Hi Claus,

I tried very hard to find American restaurants regularly using upscale cookware–and KI struck out. The tradition here, begun with All Clad, is that higher end cookware is used for demonstration purposes. The best recent example of this is the role of Thomas Keller with both All Clad and Hestan nanobond. He also just cooks:

1 Like

Chef Jean Pierre making OssoBuco using a Staub oval dutch oven, an All Clad PLY saucepan and a Woll nonstick frying pan.

Link

1 Like

Chef Jean Pierre making a simple mushroom sauce using a Demeyere Atlantis Saucier and an All Clad PLY sauce pan.

Link

1 Like

Hi Claus,

I’m going to hijack your thread so I’m apologizing in advance.

I found this video and you do discuss it a little in your OPP.

Olunia

Nigella Lawson making Lemon Risotto in a huge Fissler Original Profi sauter pan.

Corrected by Damiano.

She’s making the risotto in what looks like a Padermo pan and the stock is in the Fissler Original Profi pot.
Thanks for the correction, Damiano !

Link

1 Like

Hi Claus, great thread… :slight_smile: By the way, I think she is making the risotto in a Paderno Grand Gourmet, and a saucepan. A saute pan has lower sides. The pan in which she keeps the stock is a Fissler OP - you can see it by the rolled lips (and the label on the side lol).

2 Likes

Hi Claus,

You speak my language ! I do really
enjoy watching Nigella cook and have quite a few of her cookbooks.

On a side note, I noticed her using a Mezzaluna.
I know that you have quite the collection of knives…
Do you own one and if you do you enjoy using a mezzaluna?

Thanks,
Olunia

1 Like

Someone back at chowhound posted this clip - wonderful cooking being done in I think a Mauviel tin lined copper saute pan. I think this is a 24 cm diameter. I have a Mauviel stainless steel lined copper saute pan in 24 cm and it’s my most used and loved pan.

3 Likes

You’re absolutely correct, Damiano.

My mistake.
The stock is in the Fissler Original Profi.

2 Likes

LOL. I am the one who posted this video on CH. Happy you liked and remembered it !

Another video with Mauviel cookware, non copper this time, and Staub ECI. The Italian chef in a French 3 Michelin star restaurant explains how to make ratatouille the traditional way and the Pixar way.

3 Likes

A De Buyer Carbone Plus carbon steel frying pan in use to sear a huge 500 gram Ribeye steak at the Michelin restaurant Maris Piper in Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

Link

3 Likes

Chef Max Mariola making one of my all time favourite dishes, Saltimbocca, in a Staub ECI cast iron frying pan. You also see a Demeyere Pawson PLY pot with a no name lid on the stovetop.

Link

Chef Patron Edouard Loubet at his 2 Michelin star restaurant La Bastide de Capelongue in Provence, France making Provençal Lamb in what looks to be a Mauviel M250C 30 cm copper frying pan.
Just in front of that you see what looks to be a Mauviel M250C 26 cm copper frying pan on the stovetop. Also several other copper saucepans nearby.

Next to these pans you see a round 7,2 liter Le Creuset ECI dutch oven in black with the black innner enamel.

Don’t like his ‘double dip’ in the pan sauce, but this guy can cook.

Link

2 Likes

Great presentation of the “basics,” but he stops just where the enthusiasts start: cladded vs. disc, ECI, and users of induction–which actually was pretty smart . . .

Ray

1 Like