What cookware brands do you find in restaurants ?

This is a very similar combination of pans I use to make my chicken Parisienne–with a similar progression and spices. The difference is that with induction I can hold a perfect simmer on the stovetop without doing much, so I don’t need to put it in my oven

The majority of restaurants use industrial, non name-brand cookware, usually All-Clad or Vollrath.

Only when you get to the upper echelons of restaurants and/or chefs do you see name brands like Le Creuset, Staub, or Demeyere etc.

1 Like

Quite likely, even there they get them for free as part of a demo project–like the French Laundry and Hestan nanobond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v60ED4i-c5I

Ray

I would have liked a bit more browning of the meat here. Don’t you agree? I’ve never been a fan of enameled cast iron on induction. I’d have used a Paderno GG paella pan here instead.

Another Staub in action, Jacques Pepin.

3 Likes

I don’t think he will serve this to paying customers, so I can ‘understand’ the double dip.

By the way, here you can see the Mauviel ss-lined frying pan used in all its full glory. Browning is quick and uniform, and then when the frying is done, you can instantly continue. This is the reason why I love this pan so much!

1 Like

Thanks all for all the video postings. A treasure trove.

2 Likes

I certainly am not qualified to critique that steak but it sure looked to me to be under-seasoned. I like adding garlic and thyme to the top of the steak when basting with butter and then finish in the oven. That’s just me though. Otherwise I love the videos. I could watch people cooking for hours.

1 Like

I’m acquainted with a couple chefs but not familiar enough to be in their kitchen or have much more than a polite chat if we bump into each other. I know and socialize with some owners but again I’m not in their commercial kitchens. I’d like to visit but it’s awkward…at least I feel so.

1 Like

Anyone able to see what carbon steel frying pan they use in this video ?

I love how he butterbastes the fish continuously for minutes, while cooking the fish.

The restaurant is called Visaandeschelde and is placed in Amsterdam in the Netherlands.
It’s a Michelin star restaurant. Most of the cookware used here is cheap restaurant supply pans, which just shows that the quality of the cooking technique and the stovetop is far more important than the quality of the cookware.

Link

1 Like

The quality of cookware is still important. It is just that we have pretty much perfected the technology to make straight/bare metal cookware like straight aluminum cookware and straight carbon steel cookware.

1 Like

The chefs at the danish Michelin restaurant called Barr, the ‘Old Noma’, situated in Copenhagen, use a good deal of All Clad pans, Microplane graters and Global spatulas.

Link

2 Likes

Cynic alert: It’s my sense that replaceable stoveware is used in 99% restaurant kitchens. Copper is minion-dependent, requiring substantial after service scouring. Supportable for celebrity TV segments or 3* kitchens with substantial cadre, but a total conceit for most kitchens. All-Clad and Staub, again, make good photo ops, but are they really used day in and day out? It doesn’t sound reasonable to me.

4 Likes

Belgian 3 star Michelin Restaurant Hof Van Cleve makes their famous turbot dish using a whole lot of Demeyere Apollo saucepans and sauciers, an old Le Creuset ECI dish and a Staub ECI dish.

Link

1 Like

On my wish list for next time I’m gifted a turbot.

4 Likes

Belgian Michelin starred restaurant Colette De Vijvers making a divine hare dish using - among many other pans & pots - a couple of Demeyere Apollo sauciers, a Fissler Original Profi pot and a black Staub ECI dish.

I see this Staub ECI dish in many professional kitchens.
It’s an extremely versatile ECI dish and looks rustic yet elegant for serving purposes. I own 2 of the same Staub ECI dishes and use them quite often (1 20 cm in red and 1 24 cm in black)

I’ve never made hare in my life, but I consider doing so after watching this video.

Link

1 Like

Hi Olunia,

No I don’t own one and would never consider buying one.
It’s extremely cumbersome to sharpen and it can’t do anything a chefs knife can’t do as well.

2 Likes

Arroz seco de marisco, Spanish lobster rice, using a 15 euro cheapo paella pan. I have one as well, and because it is so thin it requires quite some cooking skill.

3 Likes

I’d prefer a plate of this hokkien mee over any 3 star Michelin restaurant dish - any day of the week! :slight_smile:

Charcoal as the heat source, and then a carbon steel (I think) wok. Claus, this is the dish I was telling you about where they use pork lard, shrimp and squid.

https://youtu.be/RA2HLsIE_jg

4 Likes

Love these videos of street food kitchens.

I follow a few YouTube channels from Japanese smaller restaurants and street food kitchens.

I’ll try to post some videos here in this thread.
It’s still on topic as it’s still related to what cookware they use. They are rather lengthy videos.

Hope you’ll enjoy them, Damiano.

1 Like

I follow a few Japanese restaurant channels on YouTube and I hope you’ll find the videos interesting.

I have a soft spot for Japanese culture and I see this in the way they handle ingredients and food in even smaller street food kitchens and smaller restaurants.
They are all about respect, thoroughness, hard work, dedication and proper manners.

To this day I have never met more respectful people than Japanese people.

They don’t use any kind of fancy cookware in these restaurants, but you’ll see carbon steel woks en masse, stainless with sandwich bottom and a lot of non stick pans.

I really love to watch these videos. You see how they start preparing the ingredients early in the morning and then opening their small restaurants in the early afternoon.
Their cooking technique is masterful.

I’ll post the first video now. More will follow.
Enjoy !

Link

2 Likes