What Cooking Shows do you Watch?

That show isn’t watchable, at least for a PBS offering.
The Food Network crowd loved it, I suppose.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a big fan of the Great British Family Cooking Showdown - it is a competitive show, but calming, doen to earth, and they spend the whole time cooking.

Carla’s on a Netflix show called Crazy Delicious. The show itself isn’t very good- a shameless low-end copy of The Great British Baking Show, with one or two changes, and Carla’s the best thing on it. She doesn’t do that mugging for the camera thing on it.

1 Like

These two are really cool in a short story format.

5 Likes

Thanks for the recs @Rooster - I’ve been off cooking shows for a while, but the short story format sounds interesting.

Not exactly “cooking shows” per se - more food shows - and I know mentioned elsewhere, but these two are on my watchlist (though I haven’t been inspired to start watching yet):

The Next Thing You Eat - Hulu (David Chang)

Taste the Nation - S2 - Hulu (Padma Lakshmi)

I have pretty mixed feelings about both hosts, but I’ve found their content interesting in the past.

1 Like

Is Food. Curated a video blog only? I’m not finding anything about it on SoCal tv or streaming platforms. The titles look interesting.

It’s a tv program. On the east coast it plays on PBS and NYlife channels. The video archive on her website is the identical programming though.

1 Like

I’m watching the 2nd season of Nation now. I’m enjoying the holiday themes. David Chang can be fun!

2 Likes

Thanks all! I’ve been binge watching The Great British menu on Amazon Prime. A banquet format vs a restaurant or dinner party format… These British shows have SO many episodes per season!

2 Likes

Thanks. There’s way more content available these days than anyone could possibly consume even a small percentage of. Digital shows can be cast from my phone to our TV but there just aren’t enough hours in the day. I can see, from many of the titles, that this one is heavily focused on NYC. Grew up there but haven’t been back in 20 years. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yeah. I’m enjoying programming at my leisure these days. Enjoying the options.

1 Like

Thanks. When I looked these up on Amazon, it says that none of the seasons are currently available to watch in my location (northern California) even though I have Prime. Wonder why…

2 Likes

I am in NCal too and I can see seasons 5, 7, and others. OTOH I recently realized I was paying extra for Amazon Prime VIDEO.

Here’s a screenshot.

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t check all of the seasons, and I can watch some of them.

2 Likes

Here’s a review of the episode I just watched…Season 8, episode 27…of about 45!

I’m trying to figure out why one chef served soup with a side of veloute. It didn’t say.

Well, I better get started!
Soup with a side of veloute - weird.

Turned out the veloute was the soup!

1 Like

Pati made me mad a couple of weeks ago. She was doing Sonoran food and kept piling cheese on top of cheese and more cheese, at one point she looks at the camera and says “Don’t blame me, blame the Sonorans! They just put a lot of cheese on everything!”
Which to me was rude and condescending. I’ve lived in the Sonoran desert an hour and a half from the Mexican border nearly all my life and I cannot figure out what on earth caused her to say that, because it’s a gross exaggeration. She must not like or know many Sonoran cooks, is all I can think.

3 Likes

I mostly used to see Master Chef.

1 Like

I don’t enjoy contests of any kind: cooking shows, sports, awards shows, etc.

The cooking show I adore is Good Eats. I like how you really learn to cook dishes as opposed to the contest shows where you see very little cooking. I like the history and science lessons. I like the cheesy props, especially the sock puppet yeast. I like the supporting characters, especially W. Most of all, I adore Alton Brown’s sense of humor.

4 Likes