What Cooking Shows do you Watch?

Hey! We have “Check please Bay Area” here on public television. I once started filling out an application to participate but realized I didn’t have the chops or patience to describe what I was eating.

1 Like

We’re getting this Irish guy named Rory in way too large a quantity on Create.
Not annoying and grating like Pati or absurd like the happy vegetarian lady. Not near as bad as the spinster sisters or whatever their name is.
Just boring and uninspiring. Piddling around and making me change the channel. :cowboy_hat_face:

I don’t watch as many shows as I used to since Food Network went down the drain, but there are a few on Cooking Channel I watch, and some on other channels.
Iron Chef America - I’m sure I’ve seen them all at least once, but it’s kind of a habit any more.
Lidia Bastianich
America’s Test Kitchen
Good Eats- Also a habit.
Great British Baking Show
Any Martha Stewart cooking show. Say what you will about her, she’s a fantastic teacher and fearless
The occasional Valerie Bertinelli show (I’ve always liked her)
Man Fire Food
Bizarre Foods Delicious Destinations- Zimmern’s actually all right when he isn’t gobbling down raw lungs or something

Shows I smiss
Two Fat Ladies (probably my all-time favorite)
Ming Tsai
Melting Pot
James Beard- not sure if I’d like it now, but I did then
I’m sure there are others

4 Likes

I adore Carla. I’ve never seen her in a whole show, just on Best Thing I ever Ate and in ads

1 Like

I find I want to support her even on shows I am not find of.

1 Like

I loved her and then didn’t. She has a schtick, and it was cute until it got to be too much. But she was wonderful on Top Chef and I always wanted to eat her food.

3 Likes

I understand, but I think TV might force the schtick. My real life forces a schtick too. Can’t wait until I don’t need it and I can “retire”. Soon.

4 Likes

You may be right. I used to watch Emeril all the time, but his BAM got on my last nerve after a while.

4 Likes

Kind of like pretty much anything Rachel Ray says at this point -Delish! EVOO. ugh

2 Likes

OMGosh yes with the evoo, and the sando, and the 100 kinds of burger. She is like everywoman, in the kitchen. Which is fine. A good place for a cook to gather ideas. Not a good place to learn anything, or get out of your box.

4 Likes

“Not annoying and grating like Pati”

A few years ago Pati had her sister on the show. They both have almost the exact same voice. So it was like there were two Pati’s in the kitchen.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Kevin Belton’s shows (New Orleans Kitchen and New Orleans Celebrations on PBS) are fun to watch.

I found myself getting irrationally angry at Rayna Jhaveri from Milk Street Television who said the “aloo” in vindaloo meant garlic without explaining that the dish is based on the Portuguese name “Carne de Vinha D’ahlos (Beef with Wine and Garlic),” created in a Portuguese colony in Goa. The episode was about making Indian classics at home and Every. Other. Chef. on the episode stated that (as I thought I knew) that “aloo” means potato in Hindi. I was seriously mad for hours. Maybe the fact that I find Christopher Kimball to be an officious lout tainted my mood.

5 Likes

Hi @Homestyleturkey! Good to see you!! We miss you on the NY/CT board!!!

1 Like

Thanks, winecountrygirl. I appreciate that.

1 Like

Use to watch a fair amount of Food TV. Now Top Chef is about it. Food TV if insomnia is an issue

Thanks for bumping this up! Currently watching My Kitchen Rules.

Top Chef was what I like best of all!

2 Likes

The first season of Dishing With Julia Child (2020) was a major dud imo. Celebrity chefs watching her old shows, commenting back and forth and talking over her half the time. I was like be quiet so I can listen to her. Here’s hoping there’s no season 2. Although, with a new movie coming out and a TV series in the works, everyone seems to be jumping on the JC bandwagon. Wonder how she’d feel about the TV series. If the first season going over her life is a hit, they’ll have to come up with something more dramatic for the second season. I don’t think she’d like that at all. I say let her RIP and stop trying to capitalize on her memory.

1 Like

Sounds to me like this wasn’t the show for you, but that a cache of old JC videos is what you want. That’s cool, but calling something a dud because it’s not what you wanted (as opposed to failing what it tried to achieve) is complicated.

Given how often there is interest in JC, it could be a ‘bandwagon’, it could be ‘synergy’, or it could be testament to how influential and near timeless she is as legend. (Also how committed people are to ensuring her legacy.)

1 Like

I agree. I only watched a couple. The “celebrity chefs” weren’t interesting at all, didn’t really seem to be interested themselves in much more than posturing about how well they knew Julia Child, and completely missed historical context.

The show came off to me like Mystery Science Theater 3000 without the entertainment value of the jokes.

2 Likes