What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2023

Can ya tell Jenji lives in Seattle? Lol

The one UK store they picked has FIVE Ottolenghi books on their list of 10? lol

2 Likes

Actually, the UK store they feature has two, it’s the Berlin store (Goldham & Sampson) that has five Ottolenghi books out of ten bestsellers.

1 Like

Kitchen Arts & Letters latest email highlighted a number of international cookbooks coming out this year. Portico by Leah Koenig has a picture of a piece of pie I want right now. I will be watching for reviews of this book. They showed a wide variety of books. I suggest checking them out to see some upcoming books that might not be on your radar.

1 Like

Picked up an excellent used copy of Room For Dessert by David Lebovitz.

3 Likes

I received four cookbooks for holiday gifts, only one of which was anticipated. That was Claudia Fleming’s new book, Delectable: Sweet & Savory Baking, which was a request. It’s full of appealing recipes, but really needs an errata page/corrections, as I discovered with the first thing I made from it (detailed here). That post also incidentally shows the second thing I made, maple sugared pecans (on the cupcake), and both were delicious.

I also got:

Cook As You Are: Recipes for Real Life, Hungry Cooks and Messy Kitchens by Ruby Tandoh. This has thoughtful writing and interesting-looking, doable recipes. It might make a good COTM.

Ottolenghi Test Kitchen: Extra Good Things, the British edition, which my mother picked up on a whim at Shakespeare & Co. in Paris. The theme is recipes that all have some kind of condiment (sauce, topping, pickle, etc.) that can be repurposed in other ways. While the recipes can be typically Ottolenghi fussy, the suggestions for using the “extras” are not; think on toast, pasta, eggs, roasted vegetables, etc.

A Feast of Serendib: Recipes from Sri Lanka by Mary Anne Mohanraj. This one I hadn’t heard of, and I’ve yet to take a really thorough look through it. She has a related book called Vegan Serendib, not indexed on EYB (all those links are to EYB indexes for the other books) and a shop where she sells Sri Lankan curry powder and sweets, among other things.

5 Likes

Twice last week I found myself searching for the Margaritaville Cookbook that was a Chowhound COTM. Turns out (per my note to myself on the EYB bookshelf) I had used a library copy of the book. I’ve now got my own copy of the ebook version.

4 Likes

Been revisiting his My Paris Kitchen this week. Really enjoyable book. His Mustard Chicken is a staple in our house, caramel ribs and harissa chicken are great too.

1 Like

Love that cookbook. I was just looking through it a couple of days ago.

2 Likes

I have that Ruby Tandoh book out of the library, and am quite enjoying it. I also got the Milk Bar "All About Cookies" book from the library, and am very tempted to buy it!

2 Likes

Diana Henry has announced that Roast Figs Sugar Snow will be reissued in the fall, with the addition of some new recipes.

1,353 Likes, 185 Comments - Diana Henry (@dianahenryfood) on Instagram: "It’s coming…I couldn’t be more thrilled about this. Roast Figs, Sugar Snow, published almos..."

6 Likes

I had checked the original out from our library in wintertime several years ago, since I enjoyed cooking from her other books. And was disappointed by how few of the recipes looked like ones I’d make. I should revisit.

I hate reissues with a “few more recipe” - either make a completely new book or just don’t change any thing. It’s not like the latest reissue from Led Zeppelin because they found an old demo song somewhere on an old tape.

1 Like

Received my copy of Standard Baking Co. Pastries today, and am watching the reviews come in for Tamar Adler’s new rekease The Everlasting Meal Cookbook.

1 Like

Anyone who is a fan of Anna Olson, Costco Canada, has her new book Baking Wisdom on for $29. Lots of information for bakers of all levels,150 great recipes and the book has 2 ribbons. I love it when cookbooks have ribbons.

6 Likes

Have you cooked from any of her books?

Yes, i have several of Anna Olsons baking books. She is very well known in Canada. Has a great you tube channel

4 Likes

I bought it but I haven’t really even flipped through it. I also have the All About Cake book but have only made 1 bundt. It isn’t for a lack of interest, it is just that I don’t really have anyone to bake for. Sometimes I’ll make something just to improve my skills and then leave it in the teachers’ room at work. That gets to be an expensive hobby with Tosi’s recipes though. I’ve had the original momofuku milk bar baking book for many years and I love it.

2 Likes

I fell in love with the cover of Ursula Ferrigno’s new book “Cucina di Amalfi” and had to order it along with “Istria” by Paola Bacchia that has been on my list for awhile.

2 Likes

I ordered Mayumu; been thinking about it since I saw it mentioned on EYB. As much as I love a perfect chocolate cake, I might have to say that Filipino desserts are the best in the world. I also picked up Fabulous Modern Cookies, which I think someone brought up on this site.

1 Like