What brands are you loyal to (under $10)?

Me:

• Heinz Ketchup

• Wonder White Bread

• Coke Zero

• SPAM

• Fage Greek Yogurt

• Talenti Madagascan Vanilla

You?

2 Likes

Clabber Girl Baking Powder… it came out in 1879, so to be in business that long, I figure they know what they are doing. I’m not 100% sure that it makes a HUGE difference when I bake, but I’ll pay a little more for that brand.
I just finished baking Sunshine’s Valentines Day Cake (heart shaped cake). It came out perfect. I’ll frost it tomorrow and post pictures.

4 Likes

Yeah, their logo is iconic. When I see that can, I immediately think of baking powder

1 Like

Heinz ketchup, Fage yogurt, Hellman’s mayonnaise, Old Bay seasoning, Three Crabs fish sauce, Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese, Cento canned tomatoes, Trader Joe’s skipjack tuna, Porto Rico Indian Monsoon Malabar coffee, Valley Shepherd Prairie Breeze cheddar, Alaea Red Hawaiian sea salt…

A lot! Probably more than that!

One more.

• Pillsbury doughboy biscuits

same, great product

1 Like

When I lived in the US (I live in Japan now), unless there was a reason to buy the “natural” stuff, I was totally devoted to Skippy peanut butter. I truly found that Skippy, Jif and Peter Pan all had distinctively different tastes and I could easily recognize which was which. If I did buy “natural”, it was Laura Scudder’s because that was usually all that was available.

As I said above, I live in Japan now and peanut butter isn’t all that popular here. While I should feel lucky that the only brand name I ever see is indeed “Skippy”, it costs and arm and a leg and I can’t afford to buy it. Thankfully, a chain of import stores carries a serviceable generic brand at about 1/2 the cost, so that’s what I buy.

1 Like

I really like the Three Crabs. But I think it’s also the only brand I’ve tried. A lot of my “loyalty” runs that way. Kame’ for a lot of sauces because that’s what the store first started carrying. San-J for tamari because the store didn’t carry real tamari for the other brands.

Other stuff I’m split loyal. Duke’s or Hellman’s mayo are both fine, slight nod to Duke’s, but bought depending on which is BOGO. But I won’t get Kraft mayo even if BOGO - no one likes it much. (I actually like my homemade mayo but no one else does.) Coffee beans - I like Eight O’Clock and Community both just fine, so same thing - load up whichever is BOGO.

Our store-branded cottage cheese. I don’t know who makes it, but it’s much better than Breakstone and Daisy. It’s identical (near as I can tell) to the Prairie Farms Dairy cottage cheese I grew up with.

1 Like

It was the first brand I bought, and I liked it a lot. Then I got Tiparo’s, and I didn’t like it as much. But I get your point - it’s not like I’m going through a bottle of fish sauce a week (or every 200 weeks), nor do I do taste tests.

ETA: Maybe I should try Red Boat.

https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/

1 Like

Heinz Ketchup
Gulden’s Spicy Brown Mustard
Lipton Onion Soup Mix (for dip)
Muir Glen fire-roasted diced tomatoes
Pillsbury pie crusts
Jif peanut butter (used to be a Skippy girl but now prefer Jif)
Ritz crackers
Honey Maid graham crackers
Ruffles OR Utz ridged potato chips
Fritos corn chips
Carnation sweetened condensed OR evaporated milk
Lea & Perrin’s Worcestershire sauce
Oreo Double-Stufs (although I never buy them anymore)
Kellogg’s Raisin Bran
Newman’s Own Mango Salsa
Jiffy cornbread mix
Nabisco Wheat Thins
B&M baked beans (I doctor them up whenever I do have them, but still - gotta be B&M)
Kraft American Singles

3 Likes

Wow, they really hated 3 crabs. I’m with you on seeing if I can find one of the 2 well-rated Red Boats, and try them side by side.

I just took a whiff of the 3 crabs and I guess it is a little stinky. If I can’t find the Red Boat brands, I might try the sister version of 3 crabs (flying lion) that the tester thought was decent if not great.

This is one other product that I am pretty loyal to. I grabbed an off-brand (might have been Aldi) for making a lot of cured/dried meats, thinking I wouldn’t notice the difference there with all the coriander and pepper. But once done I thought I could tell, and more importantly the 2 daughters who like my biltong said “this isn’t as good as last time, did you use a different recipe?”.

1 Like

In these days of unexpected empty shelves where your favorite brand used to be, it’s hard to be totally faithful to one brand. That said, for us it’s Peter Pan Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, Huy Fong Sriracha Sauce, and Maesri Curry Pastes.

1 Like

That just reminded me that I haven’t made “Frito Pie” in a while. And yes… I must have “Fritos” brand corn chips to make Frito Pie!! I’m going to put those on my shopping list.
Thanks Linda!!

1 Like

Red Boat consistently rates as the absolute king of fish sauce for every cooking channel or blog I’ve seen that has cared enough to compare and contrast. But they also note that it is the most expensive brand, and Three Crabs is usually among the “this is a really nice one if you use it day to day.”

I think for the amount of fish sauce I use, I can probably afford an expensive one. Thanks for this info!

My brand loyalty:

• Coke. I’ll go without rather than Pepsi (but I will grab RC if it’s on sale and I’m out)
  • Best Foods mayo. I love homemade but it doesn’t keep.
  • Kraft Mac and Cheese (aka Kraft Dinner for the Canadians in our midst). Nostalgia knows no bounds.
  • Ghirardelli chocolate. Their chips don’t have any other ingredients other than cocoa butter, cocoa solids and sugar, same as their 60% bars.
  • Huy Fong Sriracha. Accept no substitutes
2 Likes

Website says “How an ex-Apple engineer made the leap to become a fish sauce entrepreneur”

Purest Fish Sauce on Earth – Red Boat Fish Sauce

Tiparos is a good brand we buy too (in your article)

Oh, yes, for sure.

Hydrox is just so wrong.

2 Likes

I have seen it at tj’s but not recently. It was at my Costco a few years back. That was a lot o fish sauce