What bar chocolate are you eating?

Oh, and I just found a small chunk of Arete, from our local craft maker, still in the pile of packaging. As I was enjoying it, I found out they just moved from Milpitas in California to Tennessee.

We give those chocolate library series as gifts to our nieces. Always a hit.

Valrhona 71% from Trader Joe’s, $3 a bar, unbelievable price-point.

I must eat 2-3 bars a week!

I used to eat entire 1 lb Milk Chocolate blocks from TJ, but I’m too old for that now. It still tastes good, but I don’t feel good. I’d rather have a hit from the Valrhona even though I like milk chocolate better. I like really, really sweet!

2 Likes

Try this at TJ:

as well as the Milk Chocolate Lover.

I personally like them both more than the Valrhona, and its cheaper than the Valrhona too.

1 Like

85% cacao? That’s dark but I’ll give it a shot.

Best bang for the buck. $3.99 Cdn at the grocery store. Occasionally on sale for less. This is currently my favourite flavour of Ritter Sport.

1 Like

Not exactly a bar yet these are my choices:

Sees Candies Almond Royal
Russel Stover Almond Roca
Baci original dark
Ferrero Rocher
Lindt Lindor truffles Stracciatella chocolate.
Roshen individually wrapped chocolates
Solidarnosc Polish Plum chocolates

I prefer chocolate that is individually packaged it’s like I’m unwrapping a gift to myself each and every time.

I’ve been very lucky that, on special occasions, my family indulges my chocolate tooth with some extremely good chocolate. I can recommend these:

https://marouchocolate.com/

There are a few more, but these are the ones that I can think of at the moment. These are not everyday bars, they’re something special that I get to indulge in a couple of times a year.

Usually, instead of a bar, I’ll just grab a few Cacao Barry Tanzanie buttons. Baking chocolate is dangerous.

2 Likes

Simple. Hershey’s Milk chocolate with almonds. A favorite for 60+ years.

Mostly I go for a dozen or two semi-sweet chocolate chips (Kirkland). Occasionally Lindt raspberry or chili.

Our family favorite, “bar” none lol!

3 Likes

I like that 85% from Trader Joe’s too. Lately I have been indulging in Tony’s Chocolonely 70% - it’s a bit sweeter than my usual, but because of that I find it easy to limit myself to just one or two squares. https://tonyschocolonely.com/us/en

2 Likes

Every so often, they run out, and then I grab a different bar. This happened last time and I ended up with a 70% and a 92%. Too sweet, and too bitter. I think 85% is my “sweet spot” if you will. I love it. We usually get 8-10 bars at a time, but part of it is that my husband and older son (when home) consume it about 4x faster than me. I’ll have 2 squares and they’ll have 8. So it’s self preservation to get so many! It’s also one of very few dark chocolate bars I’ve seen that doesn’t have a nut allergy warning (either may contain or shared equipment), which we look for on account of our older kid.

LOL, mine too. For a special treat I sometimes add a spoonful of unsweetened peanut butter to a square of 85% with a few flakes of Maldon salt on top. Why anyone would choose a Reese’s cup when they can have that is beyond my comprehension!

1 Like

I will confess to liking some pretty trashy snacks. Peanut m&ms ruled the day awhile back for me. And my fave Ben & Jerrys is still pb cup. While I think that’s because they have the best pb ice cream of all I’ve tried, it wouldn’t be the same without the chunks.

1 Like

My mainstays from TJ’s for nibbling. The Uganda has the slight edge for my taste, but I like the Colombia fine.

I also always have a stock of this, which has great balance. I use it mostly in combination with other things and for baking.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen the Uganda, but I will look for it next shop trip. I don’t really enjoy the 70 percents - too sweet for me.

1 Like

1 Like

I really enjoy dark chocolate. Lately, I’ve been enjoying Zazubean Buff 90% . It has less sugar, which works nicely as my daily treat.

But, when I need sweet, smooth, milk chocolates I’ve tended to go for Whittaker’s peanut butter bar. So much nicer than Reece’s peanut butter cups when I need chocolate and peanut butter. I just can’t keep it in the house. Never lives long with me.

1 Like

IMG_1004

Years ago I stumbled upon Cacao Sampaka at the Park Slope Food Co-Op, and got obsessed with it. The supply from Barcelona was intermittent, so I took to stockpiling the bars in my fridge. I especially loved the dark chocolate bar with Ibiza sea salt. The bars were extremely thin; there were two of them stacked in the very narrow box. The thinness somehow made eating it more interesting, probably because it melted rather quickly on the tongue and you got a nice hit of chocolate, then the salt. Addictive.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I stumbled upon my favorite brand at Whole Foods here in PA! I believe I may have hooted out loud, and dramatically swept half the display into my basket. Tonight I took the pistachio for a spin; a new flavor for me. Delicious.

1 Like