What bar chocolate are you eating?

Well, that’s the bundle price of 6 different bars, if you buy individually, it’s $8 each

Unless you shop at TJ’s. I’m still hooked on their “Dark Chocolate Lovers’ Chocolate Bar” at $1.69 for a 100 gram bar. It’s an 85% cacao single origin chocolate bar from the Tumaco region of Colombia, and I’m almost certain it’s just a repackaging of Casa Luker’s 1906 bar.

2 Likes

Ah. I forgot about that one. I ate that bar so often last year, that I have to take a break from it. I think I must have eaten at least 20, 30 of them.

1 Like

I took your recommendation on that, and we loved it. Haven’t seen it there for the past several months though (we’re in Vegas). Have you found it recently?

It’s almost always available at my local TJ’s (North Beach in SF) though they occasionally run out. I bought a couple of bars there just last week.

I like to switch it around. At this point, I am eating MAST chocolate:

I don’t have first hand experience with Mast bars. I read about them when they were involved in a big scandal in the craft chocolate world.

Here’s the first of 4 parts exposé:
http://dallasfood.org/2015/12/mast-brothers-what-lies-behind-the-beards-part-1-tastetexture/

:frowning: It is a little long… I read the first part. Oh well, I don’t love them anyway.

It’s an interesting read
It was a pretty big deal here
there are several local restaurants whos
owners are just so full of themselves
that featured their “snotty” chocolate
lol
The Mast Brothers store in Brooklyn took / takes
itself so very seriously … like a museum exhibit

Moonstruck Fortunate No.4 Peru single origin 50% cacao bar
Usually not too much a fan with milk chocolate bar, but this one with nice texture of bitter cocoa nibs. It has flavours of nut, coffee, toffee and floral sweetness to give a good balance.

Castronovo chocolate Belize Maya mountain villages - 72% Dark chocolate
Apparently, this chocolate has won several International awards in US and UK. A fine chocolate.

1 Like

Areté Guatemala Lachua Microlot 70% dark chocolate
Slight acidity contrasted with the fruit flavour.

Heirloom Costa Rica dark chocolate 74%
I like this bar a lot, a complex note of citrus and dried cherry, not too sweet.

While not bar chocolate, the best artisan chocolates I’ve had was at La Foret in Napa. They are amazing!

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-08-28/how-to-pick-the-best-chocolate-bar-your-money-can-buy

2 Likes

Thanks for the article, don’t know if we can summarise the taste of cacao in simple terms like this, but it can be a starting point.

2 Likes

The last US bars I had…

Bar au chocolat Chiapas, Mexico 70% - made from cacao cultivated in the hillside of Jimenez family hacienda.
High acidity, roasted nut, coffee and cocoa flavours.

L’Amourette Trinitario Nicaragua 80% - I like a lot this bar, fruity notes and a nice balance of flavours.

Hilo Hawaii manoa chocolate 70% - I would say this one has a honey floral note and on the sweet side. Very nice.

1 Like

Lately, we’ve been eating Montezuma’s Absolute Black Dark Chocolate, from Trader Joe’s. 93% cocoa solids, 7% nibs. It’s really intense, and as you might guess, not at all sweet. Great for when you want a strong chocolate hit – you don’t need much.

1 Like

I was cleaning my kitchen closet and there was a bunch of these chocolate wrappers from the last few years. These are not even all of them. I ate too much chocolate.

5 Likes

Nothing wrong eating chocolate, especially mostly dark.

1 Like