What are your kitchen quirks?

I use the open door of my dishwasher to hold pans or other cooking tools when I use non-stick cooking spray, or when I’m oiling a fish basket or veggie basket that I’ll be using on the grill.

2 Likes

Yes I do. unfortunately it is me :wink:

3 Likes

Both great ideas. Can’t believe I never thought of using the dishwasher for that (can’t figure out how to quote on my phone - dusting powder and oil sprays)

The same as with a desktop, highlight the words and the button “quote reply” will pop up. (This post is replied with an old iphone)

If you aren’t there to help ie. prep, chop or clean, get out of my kitchen. I hate making “small talk” while I’m cooking, yes believe it or not if you want to get me to shut up, let me cook, I like getting lost in my own thoughts etc.

Clean, clean and just in case clean again. I have to have clean work space / areas.

I have one coffee mug, extra large. I drink my coffee out of it, I drink water out of it, if I’m having cocktails I’ll have cocktails out of it. Its my mug leave it alone, I’ll clean it when I want. STOP touching my mug. Same with my disposable DD extra large iced coffee up. If I bring it into the house it’s my cup for the day, DO NOT throw it away.

Dish\Utility towels, why are good kitchen dish towels so difficult to find? Seriously???

2 Likes

Thanks. Sometimes I get the “quote” and sometimes I don’t. Not sure why but now I know what should be happening.

Ok well will you please flip that one and take another pic, this is getting on my nerves.

2 Likes

Better? The guilty party claims he didn’t do it on purpose. See individual crazy level/indicator explanation above. :smile:

As to dish towels, I hear ya, buddy. They’ve become harder to find in recent years. My Penzeys one is decent, but my favorites are older and tough to replace. Used to score nice ones at Marshalls, but not for many years, at this point.

1 Like

You select the text and adjust a bit the selection (a must), the gray quote button should pop up.

Hey, I let him live after his misdeeds.

I think I showed a lot of restraint, considering.

I’ve pretty much switched to vintage cotton and linen kitchen towels. Many were too “nice” to use and are in perfect shape when I find them at the thrift store! The old ones are quite absorbent and lint free. (I’m only telling you since you don’t thrift in my area!) :wink:

2 Likes

Except my mom, which is why I now forbid her to touch my kitchen knives.

Maybe they thought it was an IQ test.

Yeah, its me too. And I don’t find that even remotely “unfortunate”.

Seriously. What do folks think is going to happen, if all the knives aren’t lined up facing the same direction - maybe the knife being “backwards” on the magnet is going to de-sharpen the blade or something? Like its a reverse-pyramid? LOL!

I won’t go to the extent of calling it “crazy” as a few folks have (jokingly, I assume, but sometimes you just can’t be sure of that) labeled people who DON’T do this - but it is edging over the line into OCD, just a tad. I put this right up there with my Dad’s habit of having to turn all the bills in his wallet so they are all facing the same direction. LOL!

1 Like

If we are talking about the knife magnet, then it is not a problem. However, I do think it is at least a small inconvenience or not a potential safety issue for not aligning knives in the same direction in a typical knife block. Knives coming out all kind of direction from a knife block does not sound very safe to me.

I certainly meant it as a lighthearted comment, and would be willing to bet others responded in kind, but sure, go right ahead and call me OCD. All my bills face the same way in my wallet, just as they all faced the same way in their respective compartments in all our family businesses. There is something to be said for order, symmetry, neatness. Why not just play 52 knife pick up and leave them all cattywampus on the counter or in a drawer?

You know, I meant my response as a jokey kind of a thing - hence all the LOLs - and I certainly loved my father dearly. The bills-all-facing-the-same-way was a family joke I thought I’d share.

You, however, sound pretty upset in the response above. I assume, hence your tone, which I will give the benefit of the doubt and label “dismissive”. It’s a shame you feel offended as that was not my intent. shrug

In any case, the “other choice” to making sure your knives are all facing the same way is NOT to throw 52 knives “catty-whumpus” all over the counter or in a drawer! This is not an either-or, binary sort of a situation. “Either all your knives face the same way lined up like proper soldiers, or you are throwing your knives on the floor so people can step on them and bleed to death”. Ummm, no.

Having one knife turned the wrong way shouldn’t bother anybody all that much, and there’s no functional advantage to be had. Still, if it floats yer boat, go ahead. Just don’t be mean to your housefellows if they don’t share your particular brand of OCD. They’re not the ones with the problem.

As for knife blocks - I USED to never pay attention to how the knife goes in the knife block. I never had one until pretty recently, so for about 10% of my cooking life to date.

But these days I always put the knives back in the block with the edge up, as I eventually realized that protects the blades. Doing that has a functional advantage in that I don’t need to sharpen my knives as often.

However, nothing tragic happened, to people OR knives, in the 5 years or so that it took me to cotton to that little fact about knife blocks.

BTW, I have several knives that are, in fact, kept in the drawer - with blade guards. A santoku knife that came with the knife-block-set; an extra bread knife because for some reason my son didn’t realize that he already HAD a bread knife in the knife-block-set; and a ginormous pizza rocker knife. That one uses the original heavy-duty cardboard sheath it came in as the blade guard.

Then there’s the Chinese Chef’s knife I recently bought - yesterday, in fact - to replace my lost Martin Yan knife I bought in the 80s, which has been lost somewhere in the course of multiple moves over the past few years. I finally gave up waiting for it to turn up and bought another. Apparently they no longer sell these in nice boxes anymore (as it appeared on my front porch this morning wrapped in bubble wrap and tossed in a plain brown mailer box, sans a manufacturer’s box), so now I need ANOTHER knife guard, and then she, too, will go to live in a drawer between uses. Not all catty-whumpus, either.

Yes, welcome to online communication where people can read tone into words whether it was intended or not. Not sure I “sound” any more upset than you did by suggesting people who like order edge over the line of OCD. And then you suggest I shouldn’t be mean if others don’t share “my particular brand of OCD because they’re not the ones with the problem.” Hey, thanks for keeping things lighthearted. I do appreciate it. Have a great day!

Holey holey! If my memory is working at all, I MIGHT put the sponge and Tuffy in the DW once every month or so. Never in the MW. And at the tender age of 68 I’m still alive…as are our friends who I’ve fed. LOL.

You mean “***K***attywampus” no?! Yeah, agreed the folding money should go the same way

2 Likes