What Are Your 3 Favorite Desserts?

Turned Rooster’s butterscotch pudding into a pie, topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce. Pudding component itself was delish. The pie, to me needed a different textural element to it, such as toasted pecans in bottom of pie, or scattered over the top. Although I cut sugar to mitigate the sweetness of the brown sugar bourbon, I could have cut it even more. Overall a success & I do love butterscotch! So highly recommend Rooster’s pudding recipe! Here is a pic -

9 Likes

Maybe a graham cracker crust but I have only enjoyed it as pudding. Yours Looks nice.

My method has been to buy it from places that make it! But I might try your aunt’s recipe. Is this it?

https://www.goya.com/en/recipes/flan

Yes. It’s super simple and once chilled holds up to slicing. My Aunt uses a 9x5 glass loaf pan. For a quick flan it’s tasty. Oh and she doubles the liquid sugar topping layer.

Thanks. I’ll have to give it a try!

1 Like

Thanks again for the recipe @Rooster! I definitely wouldn’t use a graham cracker crust, personally, because of the sweetness in the graham crackers. The pie pastry provided that bit of salt needed for the 3 sweet elements of the pie. I was bad last night and ate the last piece, which I topped with roasted, salted macadamia nuts. Perfection!
The pudding itself is flawless and really easy to bang out fast!

4 Likes

I like that you made the pudding and the pie your own! A good/reliable recipe is always worth sharing but putting our own spin is even better…and imho the point.

1 Like

My favourites lately:
Chocolate mousse
Apricot palacsinta
Fraisier
Strawberry shortcake
Peach cobbler

Butterscotch pie is a specialty in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Tasty!

2 Likes

My favourite desserts are fried ice cream, pavlova and creme brulee- love when it gives you a nice crack as well.

1 Like

Made another batch of butterscotch pudding today. This time flavored with vanilla bean paste and dark rum. The flan was delivered to my neighbor. I’m def a pudding guy.

4 Likes

What’s your favorite SUMMER dessert?

I love summer pudding, although I’ve only had it a couple of times. Also sliced watermelon, and the occasional piece of key lime pie.

1 Like

Please explain summer pudding. My list includes, frozen grapes, fresh fruit, root beer ices, mango pudding and really special ice cream shops.

1 Like

Here’s a recipe for summer pudding. I believe it’s British: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/summer-pudding

P.S. I almost forgot - root beer floats!!!

3 Likes

Very interesting. Good use of super ripe berries. Thxs.

In the summer, peach pie, blueberry pie and rhubarb custard pie.

1 Like

Pies! Absolutely!

1 Like

Stonefruit crisps!

Details, please.

Low carb be damned!

My favorite is nectarine, since there is no peeling, and a pretty color, but I won’t turn my nose up at peach, pluot, or plum! It has to have oatmeal in the topping.

I sometimes start with the Cooksillustrated recipe, although I’m sure there’s a paywall.

"## WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

A combination of oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, and vegetable shortening gave us the best topping for our crisp recipe, one that baked up crunchy but still light and tender…"

And

“If you make the crisp topping in large quantities and freeze it, this dessert can be as simple as slicing up some fruit. Just store the topping in a large container or zipper-lock bag. When you need a quick dessert, scoop out the required amount (about two cups for the quantity of fruit in this recipe), sprinkle it over the prepared fruit, and bake.”

Also, consider tapioca flour (not pearls) to thicken the fruit juice. Not sure where I got that.
Thickeners-Fine Cooking

Here’s one from Seriouseats

That one and this one from Bon Appetit thicken the juice with corn starch.