What Are You Coveting/Waiting /Saving For?

Because the extra prep just before you use them is a pain.

I do not know but assumed it was to facilitate using higher heat and scraping. Dumb assumption? You could use a steel lined pan. It just would be not quite as responsive.

Pardon the imprecision. I break rules. I pour a couple of cups or so into the pan, turn it on medium low, and wait for the sugar to start melting. Once it starts I use a small silicone spatula for stirring. Once it is nearly all melted I reduce the flame. Once it is all melted and free of lumps and beginning to smell toasty but not burned, it comes off the heat. I stir in four or five pats of butter, carefully because it boils pretty furiously, an ounce or two of heavy cream, and a teaspoon of Diamond Crystal salt. Stir it all and let it cool.

3 Likes

There is an advantage of using unlined copper in a few cases.

See for example:

I have an unlined copper jam pan by Falk, it works a treat. This is an interesting thread on advantages of unlined copper for jam making.

Unlined copper is also still used in lots of industrial food and beverage preparation, e.g. for beer. I would like an unlined copper sugar pan as well some day, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet…

2 Likes

Both.

The article linked by damiano sums it up pretty well. From a food chemistry perspective, in some applications, including fruit preserves, confectionary and eggwhite, you WANT the effect of copper ions.

There was a long thread on this before CH was scuttled.

I do use an unlined copper bowl for whisking egg whites when I make soufflés. Many years ago I saw a nice-sized bowl, but felt I couldn’t afford it. A week later I happened to go again to the store and saw it at 1/2 price; someone had dropped it, and there was a small ding in it. So I bought it.

1 Like

I’m eagerly waiting for Effeuno to release an “Evolution” (digital interface) version of their Gara Tron 1000F/550C electric pizza oven. Reading “Modernist Pizza” ruined me, and now I need a good Neapolitan pizza oven.

For reference, this is the current Gara Tron (which has the old digital interface):
gara line Archivi - Effeuno

And this is the new “Evolution” line with the new digital interface:
gara line Archivi - Effeuno

The Gara Tron version is higher-power (240V, 3600W) and “optimally sized” for pizza.

Unfortunately it’s a pretty expensive unit after shipping and the UK and US customs markups (don’t ask…the U.S. reseller imports it to the UK warehouse first, then reships to the US, a relationship created pre-Brexit). I think they’re also holding off on ordering any more of the old Gara Tron model in…so I guess I am probably stuck waiting unless I want to coordinate shipping directly from Italy. Although I’m speculating here; I’ve heard no official word about any updated version yet.

2 Likes

I love Matter Bourgeat but their prices have risen too such an extreme I can’t see buying it now.
I looked up my receipt from 2019 for the 20 cm saucepan that I paid $350 for without lid. Same is now $608. That’s about 75% uncharge. Geez!

2 Likes

That is indeed extreme, but when I think back to buying my first piece of 3mm hammered copper, a 24 cm sauté, for $50 it all seems crazy. Bourgeat has a spectacular design with its flared rims. I could never figure out why others did not do the same.

1 Like

I have copper preserve pan which I have never used, maybe I should try some salted caramel. I also have a set of copper mixing bowls I use for whisking egg whites.

2 Likes

What are you making pizza in now?

You’re absolutely right, that’s why I’ve bought everything on eBay. It’s been even better because I’ve found some older stuff that’s thicker. The 24cm saucier with lid I got for $190 and the 28cm brasier with lid was $400 (that’s on the high end for sure, but that piece with the lid may be the single best piece of copper pan out there), they’re both 25+ years old and legitimately 2.5mm of copper. Then I found two saucepans with lids for under $200 a piece. Just gotta hunt. I’m basically getting the pans for the cost of the lid. The nice thing (and obvious thing) about copper pans is that if they’re used, you just clean them. Their performance isn’t any worse and they’ll continue to last forever!

2 Likes

Modernist Pizza is a good read! Really enjoy their Artisan direct dough. May be the best pizza recipe in there.

Our 23 year old Sharp countertop microwave is on it’s last legs. None of the digital displays are visible. It does it’s duty, heating things up. We cannot fit anything larger than it into that space. A big problem.

What extra prep is a pain?

I feel your pain. This happended to us a few years ago and we had to go a bit smaller. I’ve been looking for another similar unit and it is impossible to find anything to my liking. What was then is gone, baby, gone. The selections are sparse, the purchading options are not there. WM, Target, Lowe’s, Home Desperate, Costco…in our area, so limited…for small kitchen appliances. Best of luck!

1 Like

This is why recently we bought an identical make-model back-up to our odd-sized microwave, which we inherited when we purchased the house. It’s perfect for the spot it is in.

That said, having the back-up safely stored away in the garage is a sure-fire way to guarantee our current microwave - now at least a decade old - will never fail.

4 Likes

When I needed a little countertop microwave a few years ago when I was renovating my kitchen, I got a Whirlpool Countertop Microwave (can’t access U.S. products right now, but if you Google it…I don’t know how small your Sharp one is, but these are the dimensions on what I had: 14-1/8” H × 15-3/8” W × 13-3/4” D. I gave it away when my kitchen was done, but I was happy with it, FWIW, and it was tiny, but would heat my stuff up.

1 Like

My “spare” while waiting for repairs was 17 x 10 x 12. Magic Chef. Used for reheating only. I’ve still got it tucked away.

1 Like

I am waiting, and waiting, for some linen dishrags.