What Are You Coveting/Waiting /Saving For?

Several posts on HO have convinced me that I need to get an oven thermometer to make sure the oven is calibrated correctly. One of these days…

2 Likes

If you have an IR thermometer and a pizza stone (or a dark oven safe vessel), just preheat your oven for a good amount of time and take a reading.

A SS pan with a thin layer of oil on it will also be accurate.

Good point. I’ve been looking around for an IR thermometer to hunt for heat leakage in my house this winter. Do you have one you like?

I have a Milwaukee 2267 which I have been very happy with.

That’s a cool story!

On the oven - how did it die? Will the control board no longer work it at all?

@OP/@kaleokahu - currently I’m eyeballing a modest cost round bottom wok. I’ve got an old flat bottom from Aldi and I’ve just never been too happy with it. But I’ve bought a lot of kitchen stuff this year so I told my wife we could wait until Christmas.

I was one of those complaining about how bad my oven is. Do you have a probe thermometer that you can stick in there? That’s how I first learned how far off mine was. Then I did get the oven thermometer, too.

Nothing in particular for me either. But I do like to occasionally indulge in King Crab legs as a treat, and Costco’s are pretty decent at a reasonable price. If you buy a 10lb box, they would be as low as 29.99/lb. With the recent inflation and bad news about crabs, the 10lb box is selling for $549 at last check. gulp

This occasional treat will be way less frequent until we can get them to breed and grow a lot faster…

$55/lb… OMG! Looks like AKC is going the same way as abalone. )c:

I went from a glasstop electric to induction, I can attest that the learning curve was quite small. I’m happier with the induction. Having had gas, coil, glasstop electric, and induction in my various dwellings, I actually think I preferred the coil electric to the glasstop. Any weirdness with the induction, I can deal with. I’ve cooked long enough to figure out what to do. … and there’s always takeout/delivery😂

4 Likes

I’ve been on the lookout for two tin lined extra-fort hammered copper sautes for quite some time, one 20cm and one 22cm. They’re missing in my graduated stack of sautes which starts at 16 cm and ends at 30cm. It is a tragedy.

1 Like

I am a devotee of Le Creuset. Acquired my first in the early 80’s as a mail-in freebie for an accumulation of peanut oil bottle tabs. It was an oval flame roaster. I have many, and have branched away from orange flame to a hot lime color. They get a lot of use and a lot of love but I can’t lift them anymore so my DH does that for me.

4 Likes

A house with outdoor space for a huge, built-in pizza oven and smoker. DH and I are hoping that our next home will be our final/dream home and such a set up is at the top of my wish list!

5 Likes

I vaguely covet all kinds of kitchen things, but I have everything I need, I think.
I have almost enough counter space.
Based on reading old CH comments years ago, I splurged and got a good garlic press and an ergonomic lemon squeeze. My life is complete.

Back to coveting: if it falls into my lap from the skies, I will be very happy to use a 3mm copper sauté pan, lined in silver. With a lid. But only if it falls from the skies.

EDIT: today, after reading this thread, I ordered an electronic thermometer. I think it will be useful, but I didn’t covet it until I read this thread. I wasn’t even aware I should have such a thing! OK, now my life is really complete.

7 Likes

Being satisfied that one has what one needs is a marvelous thing. In general, in fact in all respects but the kitchen, I feel that way, but somehow I have become, in some vague or ill defined form, a collector of kitchen things besides being a cook. I need to stop collecting. A cautionary note, however, is in order. Get out of the way if a sauté pan is dropped from above and might hit you. They are heavy and have sharp rims. If you dodge it, it will dent. I hope rather than falling from the skies it simply appears on your stovetop.

5 Likes

Right now, I am beginning research on a new blender. BF’s Oster, inherited from his grandfather, did not quite survive this weekend’s round of frozen piña coladas. It lived a good life.

Mostly, it will get used for frozen drinks and the occasional popover (or popover adjacent) batter.

3 Likes

Seems my stuff magically appears in UPS boxes. :joy:

6 Likes

The Vitamix Professional is great. Pricey, but sturdy and versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LFVV8CM?tag=thespruceeats-onsite-prod-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&ascsubtag=4692515|ndba4ae7349844c61a26fcf1e277ade7103|B00LFVV8CM

2 Likes

We are in the midst of a whole house reno, and I am longing for no more surprises hiding behind walls and floors!

The sewer out access was tiled over back in 1958 which explains why I couldn’t find it! Galvanized pipes hiding in places one would not expect. Asbestos floor tile in the basement.

We budgeted for the new and pretty and fun with a reserve for the “surprises” but the surprise features are adding up

All that being said, I am so grateful we can do this reno- within a 2 week time span last winter the galvanized drain in the kitchen sink corroded out (so goodbye sink and dishwasher) and the drawer front fell off in my hand. 60+ year old house calling out for love

4 Likes

I doubt you are a true collector. You should go easier on yourself and think of it as exploration.

2 Likes

I agree I am not a true collector. I have no sets I am trying to complete. I buy things for my kitchen based much more on their characteristics than their labels. However, in this one room I am for more acquisitive than others.

3 Likes