What are you baking? September 2022

PEAR SOUR CREAM SNACKING CAKE from Snackable Cakes
This really is a fast cake to make with oil and sour cream. We loved it but i might double recipe next time. I think it would be great with different fruit.

10 Likes

Nigella’s Cookies have been made today. They were delicious! My partner and I will definitely double the recipe next time.

7 Likes

This looks great. Is this by any chance the same recipe (from her blog)?

1 Like

Its the same recipe but in the book its for an 8x8. It also has weights for ingredients and uses 2 eggs. Everything else looks like half for the 8x8.

1 Like

Thank you!

Hi bakers! We are voting on Cookbook of the Month, Cuisine of the Quarter, and Dish of the Quarter — come join in and cook along!

Java Mini Mads from Baking With Dorie. These are gems. They have espresso in them(i used instant). More on COTM Baking with Dorie.

6 Likes

Absolutely delicious with my sunday cappuccino. Crunchy on the outside and very moist and tender on the inside. They are sweet put i take my coffee straight.

3 Likes

Made the momofuku milk bar grapefruit pie. It is currently setting up in the freezer.

Putting this in the correct thread…
Another whisky raisin pound cake. This time I brushed with syrup then glazed with a delicious brown sugar butter icing that I made with some of the boozy liquid left over from soaking the raisins for weeks. Everyone really liked this one!

4 Likes

This afternoon, I saw a youtube video for Peanut Butter Fudge. Only 4 ingredients - Butter, peanut butter, vanilla and powdered sugar. I made up a quick batch and my girlfriend loves it. I do need to use a different pan so its a little thicker next time, but all in all a nice little treat.

5 Likes

Rose Levy Beranbaum’s long-delayed “Cookie Bible” is finally about to be published! This was impacted by the pandemic, and lord knows I need another cookie cookbook like I need a hole in the head, but I never pre-ordered a book as fast as I pre-ordered this one (like 18 months ago or however long ago it was.) Can’t wait!

2 Likes

I baked a ‘Poppyscotch’ cake yesterday, having come across the recipe again recently. I used sherry from Spain that was probably 40 or more years old. It came out great and maybe today I’ll get around to giving it a butterscotch glaze of sorts.

1 Like

Challah apples and honey … well…

This works too

8 Likes

I saw some orange buns and decided to make my own version with the candied orange peel in my freezer. I pounded the peel to a paste then mixed with some butter. Added a little vanilla extract and orange flower water.
I used one of my favorite doughs for cinnamon buns and flavored with orange zest, vanilla bean, and cardamom.
The finished buns are glazed with a cream cheese icing flavored with orange zest.
These buns are everything I could have hoped for. I’ve never liked any orange-flavored bun nearly as much as these. They are intensely orange-flavored and not too sweet. Next time I will use a pure cream cheese icing rather than this one with cream cheese and butter, because I think cream cheese only looks nicer and the butter is unnecessary when the buns are already filled with butter.
I have more peel to use, so these will definitely get made again so I can keep tweaking.
I also plan on some buns filled with pastry cream and orange paste.

17 Likes

And some cheesecake brownies with the rest of the cream cheese. I didn’t bother to stick a tester in these and just went off the top being puffed and no longer jiggling and I paid for it, because the middle ones were underdone.

11 Likes

WOW!! Those are beautiful!!

1 Like

Thanks!

Gorgeous but it’s a lesson not to get too cocky.

1 Like

The brownies look lovely, extra special with the frosting!

2 Likes