What are you baking? July 2022

Well, I ate 1 ugly, gave a pretty one to my daughter, gave 2 packages of 6 to my friend who owns the little market. He ended up only giving one to his son, one to his brother: he ate all the rest! Doncha love a good eater? He works hard, on his feet 6 days a week so doesn’t get fat eating 10 scones!

3 Likes

More than welcome! That amount of flour is just right for a not too big galette. I roll fast and thin :joy: and for a galette about 12/13 “”.

2 Likes

@Rasam - FYI What I posted above was a half recipe (1 egg, because I had copied it over and didn’t realize she added a 3rd egg when she changed the recipe in April, but clearly not necessary)

Fits nicely in a 6” pan.

Oh, holy cow, these are just lovely, beautiful. Wow.

Thank you very much!

1 Like

What a lucky girl! Very cute…

I miss that blogger… she hasn’t posted for a while…

I miss her too. She is actively posting on Technicolor Kitchen, as opposed to Technicolor Kitchen in English. Unfortunately, I don’t speak or read Portuguese. I tried Google translate which yielded a garbled mess.

1 Like

Now I must try rhubarb+raspberry!

1 Like

Strawberry rhubarb pie from The Book on Pie. I made this as is but reduced the nutmeg to 1/4 t. Beyond delicious!!!

16 Likes

Looks great and must have been delicious!

2 Likes

I’ve made a decent amount of orange olive oil cakes and this one with almonds from Deborah Madison stole my heart:

I just use regular oranges of course!

I haven’t tried this one, but knowing Alice Medrich, I bet this one is really good:

https://alicemedrich.com/recipe/olive-oil-rice-flour-and-almond-sponge-cake/

Maybe I’ll attempt it today!

3 Likes

That recipe sounds wonderful, I hope you make it and post. I have a celiac grandchild and this sounds like it would be a perfect choice.

1 Like

She has a lot of fantastic gluten-free recipes. Her corn flour sponge cake is an all-time favorite cake of mine that everyone absolutely loves.

2 Likes

Beyond GORGEOUS!!!

1 Like

Flavor Flours is all about alternative flours / gluten free baking, though I’ll admit that I ended up preferring substituting a homemade GF mix into her (and other) regular recipes.

I made this Afternoon Cake from Julia Turshen when half the family was GF, and it was wonderfully moist and delicious - even with substitutions. (However, as a nut flour cake, the crumb and texture are different than the usual citrus olive oil cake canon.)

She also has a no-flour version (Torta di Galicia / Spanish orange almond cake) here.

2 Likes

Black sesame pound cake. Delicious use of the last of my black sesame seeds!

5 Likes

Thank you Saragama, I happen to have Flavor Flours, I’ll check it out more carefully. I vaguely remember making that cake from Julia Turshen, must revisit it, thanks for the reminder!

Wow! That’s quite a cake!

1 Like

Taking a break from berries, I needed some chocolate in my life. This is Delia’s chocolate mousse recipe. I alternate with Elizabeth David’s recipe which is also very good. They are both quick to make with consistently great results. There is a bit of crushed meringues on the bottom for a little crunch.

8 Likes