What are you baking? July 2022

Beautiful! Kinda retro, too.

1 Like

I’ve never had anyone say “no” to chocolate mousse :blush:. I’ve been making various versions for a long time! Always get smiling faces…particularly DH.

2 Likes

Have you tried this one? I think it’s wonderful, great flavor and texture.

I first read about this cake on David Lebovitz’s blog where he posted a recipe to make it as muffins. I’ve made both the muffins and the cake with great success. I’m usually not fond of muffins, but these were delicious and tender.

2 Likes

awww thank you! It was SO GOOD. I forgot to mention that the rhubarb is from my garden! Last year someone weed-whacked the plant in the spring so this is my first year having some to harvest. Such a joy.

There are some lovely looking OOO cakes here, especially those using almond flour. I am looking forward to trying the Julia Turshen and Deborah Madison cakes.
Recently I have started routinely replacing some APF in any cake I attempt with almond flour, to change the nutrition and taste profile a little. It has usually worked really well.

This is the OOO cake I like, again using a little almond flour, and adding rosemary.

3 Likes

Looks amazing! Where is the recipe from?

Mine was not nearly as nice because I used too big a pan (8 x 4 loaf pan) and so unlike her cake, my pan was not nearly as full. I should have used my 7.75 inch pan and it would have been perfect since it’s narrower. I also forgot to account for convection, so I should have baked at higher temperature. And I was doing other things so forgot to follow her directions once the cake was in the oven. The cake was still absolutely delicious, though:

I used salted butter, so I left the salt as is, but I would have used 3 grams if using unsalted.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! I appreciate it!

1 Like

Peach bundt cake, since the peaches are coming in faster than we can eat them.

I made a half recipe, used yogurt instead of sour cream, replaced some of the APF with almond flour, and added 1/2 tsp of almond extract. Great results.

I was nervous putting this in the pan, because there was such a high ratio of peach pieces to batter, almost looked like more peaches and barely any batter. But it worked out great when baked.

From here:

10 Likes

wow, that looks scrumptuous!

1 Like

Another sour cherry slab pie, this one with a few local peaches in the mix!

I improved a few things since the last pie: I timed the bake better, so that I got good browning and a sturdy, well-baked crust. I left a bit more of the fruit juice out, so I had less bubble-over and a less goopy finished pie. I made the dough a day ahead, so it was more… together. I’m getting better at making a crimp that isn’t embarrassing. I also remembered to not line the pan with parchment this time, which really helped get a clean cut. That slice shot is the first piece I took out. Admittedly I let it rest overnight, which also helped.

sour cherry peach slice june 22
sour cherry peach whole 2 june 22

12 Likes

Well that’s perfect! Enjoy!

Oh that is beautiful! I hope 7-year-old is very pleased! Those claws are truly inspired.

1 Like

Leftover Gouda and queso de hoja led me to make these crusty tuna and cheese buns. Pretty simple filling with just tuna, cheese, and chopped onion, but tasty!

8 Likes

Buckingham Palace Royal English Scones.

I have a warm spot in my heart for Queen Elizabeth, so when I saw this recipe - reportedly from the palace and her favorite scone – I had to make it as part of my delve into the Rabbit Hole Of Scones.

This is one of those scone recipes that calls for both kneading and then resting the dough (twice). I followed it fairly closely using weights, making a half batch and getting 8 small scones out of it (next time I might try and shape for 6, as the pan was fairly crowded). I used currants instead of raisins. I did the cut-and-stack thing instead of kneading. I also cut into squares instead of rounds (how improper!). The recipe calls for 12-15 minutes bake time; mine took 22 minutes on silpat and parchment to reach 200-205 degrees. The bottoms were “just right”.

These are probably the best buttermilk scones I’ve made to date. Crunchy exterior, smooth texture inside, and lightly sweetened. They had good rise and therefore nice eye appeal. I’ve added this one to my “keeper” scone recipe file.

12 Likes

A bit different from this recipe I ran into recently:

Lol. Yes, no kneading at all in the Chef’s video, and no resting the dough.

The recipe I used originally came from royal.uk. They have an Instagram video for same - they beat the living tar out of the dough with a mixer!

I guess there are several versions of the “royal scone”. I was pretty happy with my results. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pane di Como from Local Breads. I used my starter rather than biga again and didn’t adjust anything. This is a half recipe.
This loaf has some really impressive oven spring. It was very flat when it was proofing, but beautifully puffed up in the oven. I used the mixer to ensure strong gluten development and gave it a fold as well.
This bread is supposed to be baked seam-side up and split along the seam, but I must have done too good a job sealing when shaping it because it stayed closed.

7 Likes

My turn with the Smitten Kitchen Buttermilk Cake … with Blueberries. I went with the rec larger amount of berries, 250 g. I made 2 for friends, one after the other; I’m beat! Will make another for us tomorrow. I think it’s pretty easy. If you follow her directions, the pretty side won’t be face up so I corrected that. Excuse the cheap “china” this is ready to transport. I haven’t tried yet but I’m sure it’s great!

10 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try that cake with blueberries. Thanks for posting!

1 Like