What are you baking? August 2022

Almost like chocolate babka in a breakfast bun.

Wonderful description

Cherries are basically my favorite fruit, so I’ve made a lot of cherry cakes throughout the years and this is one I happen to really like:

Obviously with a salt addition. :joy:

This one was good as well:

And this one

It’s an 8-inch cake and directions are in the description box in English.

5 Likes

It’s a lamination twofer today. Decided to make a Dan Lepard recipe I love: hot crust sausage rolls. Since my sausage was already kind of spicy I decided to leave the crust mild and leave out the chili flakes, using only the paprika.

Can see the transformation that happens with rough puff. From mess that looks hopeless to beautiful layered dough.

And in between rolling the rough puff I was rolling out actual puff pastry, made with lard and butter, as one sees in Chinese baking. Made char siu sou with the char siu I had in the freezer. Not bad, but honestly over-stuffed. A better balance of pastry to filling is preferred.

14 Likes

Which version do you make?

1 Like

Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins

Had a sad banana lying in the fridge, so I converted it to chocolate banana bread for a friend who’s having surgery.

Used the 1-bowl recipe I usually do from Epi, but swapped out some of the flour for cocoa. Added chocolate chunks to the batter, but no nuts because I don’t know where they fall on the love-hate spectrum of nuts in chocolate things :wink:

Advantage of muffins (aside from portioning) is that they baked up in 12 mins vs an hour for the loaf.

8 Likes

Thank you! That Russian one really appeals to me, but not being a frequent youtube user, I can’t for the life of me figure out where to find an English version (or any written version) of the recipe.

If you click the arrow on the right pointing down it expands the description box and she always has English directions. Also there’s an auto-translate feature that works shockingly well with Russian recipe videos. It’s not so great for other languages but I’ve been surprised by how good the Russian captions are.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

You’re welcome!
Ha, the auto-translate is actually really bad on this one at points, but honestly it’s pretty straightforward. I’ve managed to follow worse ones. :joy:

1 Like

It’s our monthly team meeting tomorrow, so I made Stone Fruit Tea Cake with peaches ( still clingstone, alas!) from “Rustic Fruit Desserts”.

10 Likes

I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of freestone peaches! And that book has such great summer fruit cakes (and other things too, of course).

1 Like

Not bringing that book with me when I left the city is one of my greatest regrets!

1 Like

I just used some credit card points to buy the book - can’t wait to receive it!

1 Like

Tomato tart…a swipe of tapenade, goat cheese and basil. Topped with tomatoes and mozzarella…first of the summer!

15 Likes

One of my favorite food groups!:joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Small multi colored tomatoes make a wonderful tart, I just got some at FM, and since I made two crusts, there will be another tart in a few days😋

3 Likes

My mom was boiling some pieces of a nice squash she got and forgot about them and they ended up a bit salty. Because this is good squash even when boiled a while it keeps its shape and doesn’t end up waterlogged, so it still is delicious. However she didn’t want to keep it since it was a little salty. I decided to make this savory pumpkin loaf.

I cut the chili flakes in half and used some I ground myself recently from a few different peppers. I also added a teaspoon of granulated garlic. I left the thyme out because I don’t have any, but it would be nice here. I kept the salt the same and it’s good, so in the future I’d increase the salt a little if I were working with unsalted squash. I cut the topping in half because I had no intention of adding topping once baked. I like this quite a bit, but I don’t care for the pumpkin seeds, but I’ve accepted that I don’t love pumpkin seeds in baked goods and can tolerate them only if they’re extremely fresh.
I might use even more granulated garlic if I make this again. Feta would taste really good in this, too.
I would also use milk rather than buttermilk for better browning and a possibly fluffier crumb.

The recipe looks adapted from here and this one uses milk. With no baking soda in the recipe I do think milk is a better choice than buttermilk.
https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/spicy-pumpkin-bread/976a9b48-a0a5-48e8-b011-f853238312fb

6 Likes

It’s really worth it!

1 Like

Apricot hazelnut crème/frangipane…three inch tartlets that are crustless and quick to prepare. I’ve made these with plums, pears and figs, along with various nut combinations . Most any fruit would work including cherries.
These were topped with apricot ice cream.

15 Likes