What are you baking? April 2022

Looks perfect!

2 Likes

Gorgeous loaf. I made a part-whole wheat sourdough the other day but I overproofed it and didn’t get enough gluten development. I was too lazy to dig out my vital wheat gluten and just used AP and WW - I think with WW you need the extra gluten of bread flour (or AP+gluten).

1 Like

At DH’s request, I made a pineapple upside down cake yesterday, from a mix (Duncan Hines). It tasted exactly like you would expect cake mix and canned pineapple to taste. The only saving grace was the Montmorency sour cherry decoration in the corners!

11 Likes

I would agree with you on the need for some bread flour or vwg with the whole wheat.

Have done a lot of baking this week-end ( largely as procrastination to avoid doing taxes, which I did complete this afternoon). Baking one: Banana Tahini rum cake. I was very excited about this: A friend invited me to dinner, and she is lactose intolerant. This recipe is naturally dairy free!

It was… stodgy and dry. :frowning: a disappointment for sure. Not sure if was user error?

6 Likes

We’re voting on a baking book for May–August!

1 Like

And more successful baking this week-end. These were made last week-end, frozen, and sliced and baked today. Essentially Dorie Greenspan’s World Peace cookies, with the addition of 1/2 cup of crushed, freeze-dried raspberries. I can’t wait for someone I know to go to the US, so I can stock up again on TJ’s freeze dried fruit! Really delicious…

12 Likes

I’ll mail you some if you want! DM me

1 Like

Pineapple tarts. Last time I made pineapple tarts I did more of a cakey dough with cream cheese and more sugar. And those were absolutely delicious. This time I went with the style of more melt-in-your-mouth short dough. It’s a cooked flour crust that basically inhibits gluten development and produces very delicate pastry. No eggs, so it’s very buttery (there’s a little lard, too). Because this dough is not sweet, the pineapple filling is sweeter. Either style is wonderful and I love pineapple tarts any way I can get them!

16 Likes

I made this asparagus galette yesterday. I’ve made it several times to my husband’s delight.

It is delicious. The fresh tasting asparagus and the slight funk of the aged cheese balance each other nicely.

I like the method of salting the asparagus so it doesn’t need to be cooked prior to baking the galette. The texture turns out nice and firm and the flavor is bright.

11 Likes

I made this french Rivera lemon tart from Baking with Dorie for my son’s birthday. My son didn’t want a cake and this was this months selection for Tuesdays with Dorie so it was a win/win. So easy to make and no mixer required at all. Not sweet at all.

21 Likes

Beautiful and inspiring!

3 Likes

Thanks it went in 1 sitting. I don’t think whip cream would be a good idea if you kept it for a few days.

1 Like

Did you make the recommended crust?

1 Like

I did and it’s quite crunchy. Next time I will try it with pate sucree

2 Likes

Thank you! Pâté sucrée sounds very appealing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the description of the crust. I like a crunchy tart crust so I might try this tart.

I’m hot and cold on Dorrie Greenspan’s recipes. I didn’t like the World Peace cookies that everyone raves about even though I am a fan of chocolate and of cookies.

On the other hand, I thought her Goat Cheese and Fig Quick Bread was delicious. I am weird in that I dislike sweet quick breads (I say, “If you’re making cake make cake, if you’re making bread make bread”.), but I’m fond of savory quick breads.

Fair warning, my husband disliked the Goat Cheese and Fig Quick Bread. He found the rosemary to be too strong. I liked it, but if you’re sensitive to rosemary you might want to reduce the quantity.

2 Likes

Someone I know who made the lemon tart said the crust cracked apart when she removed the tart from the base of the tin. Just FYI. Of course, it could also be kept on the base for serving.

1 Like

This might be to your liking:

Thanks for pointing it out, but I don’t eat meat.

1 Like