What are you baking? April 2022

beauty.

Daffodil cake, from Martha Stewart. Edible nasturtiums.

The cake is supposed to have visible layers inside (one white, one yellow.) Mine didn’t. It was also not terribly flavorful, but I guess that’s what I get for baking a glorified angel food cake.

I remembered I had some lemon curd in the freezer, so I spooned some out (it doesn’t freeze solid, it turns out) and had that to accompany the cake. It helped!

daffodil cake

10 Likes

I’ll take it. I love angel food cake. With 7 min. frosting.

2 Likes

Thanks, mig. It’s a “classic yellow cake” according to Melissa Clark. A combination of melted butter and oil gave it a fine crumb. That’s a five cup mold, iirc, you have the 10c. It’s pleasing with the ganache.

1 Like

Looks like a very Springtime cake, nice combo!

1 Like

I’ve only used nasturtiums to garnish (or become a part of) savory fòod or cocktails because that seems to fit with their peppery flavor, but they certainly are pretty on your cake! They volunteer like crazy in my neck of the woods.

1 Like

They honestly weren’t that sharp/peppery. They are sold by a hydroponic farm around here and I wonder if that growing method contributes to their mildness.

10 Likes

Yeah, my backyard nasturtiums are peppery like watercress.

Made 2 insanely difficult coconut cakes for former coworkers for their Easter dessert. Ingredients were $37. They paid me $80 each.

6 Likes

@ipsedixit, is that red bean filling?

@njchicaa, pictures?

I made the full recipe in this oversized pan. (They want you to bake a 9x5 and 6 cupcakes.) Even with tenting, the edges overbrowned. 75 min bake at 350F fan. Will report on texture and flavor later. I won’t be making the brittle called for in the recipe. (They didn’t either if you see the their first 2 pictures.) Already have cream cheese frosting to use up in the fridge, so will be skipping that part of the recipe, too.

9 Likes

@ bmorecupcake

Looking forward to your report on texture and flavor. This one has been on my radar.

@bmorecupcake

Yup

Focaccia…black oil cured olives, green Castelvetrano olives, a dusting of herbs de Provence and a few small pinches of hot pepper flakes. Waiting impatiently for it to cool to slice for sandwiches. This is a sourdough focaccia that rises overnight in the fridge prior to baking.

14 Likes

Haven’t baked a straight sourdough in a while. Took a break after a couple of failed tries at KAF’s Pain de Campagne.

Back to my usual 1-2-3 sourdough (1 part starter, 2 parts water, 3 parts flour, 2% salt). Really happy with today’s bake, which incorporated 50% bread flour, 25% AP, 25% white whole wheat.

Bought some duck eggs at the market last weekend. Duckies and toast for breakfast tomorrow!

16 Likes

Looks perfect!

2 Likes

Gorgeous loaf. I made a part-whole wheat sourdough the other day but I overproofed it and didn’t get enough gluten development. I was too lazy to dig out my vital wheat gluten and just used AP and WW - I think with WW you need the extra gluten of bread flour (or AP+gluten).

1 Like

At DH’s request, I made a pineapple upside down cake yesterday, from a mix (Duncan Hines). It tasted exactly like you would expect cake mix and canned pineapple to taste. The only saving grace was the Montmorency sour cherry decoration in the corners!

11 Likes

I would agree with you on the need for some bread flour or vwg with the whole wheat.