What about cranberry sauce with beefy pot pies.

Weird?
Do you have an opinion, and if favorable, a recipe or ingredient ideas?

Thanks!

We tend to serve pickled beets with meat pies - if we have a pie with poultry, cranberry sauce or pickled beets can be options in our house.

3 Likes

My DH eats jelly with anything that has lamb in it, including meat pies. The jelly should be a blue one (blueberry, blackberry, etc.) and not a red one.

4 Likes

If you want it, eat it.

4 Likes

I’m baking a turkey Christmas and am making the Bourbon-orange cranberry sauce ahead, tonight. So easy and house smells great, just 5 ingredients.

2 Likes

Pickled beets sound like the perfect accompaniment and pretty for the plate, too.
It’s too late for me to do that for this meal but I will make them next time!
Thank you, retrospek!

1 Like

MunchkinRedux, I don’t think I’ve ever had a blue or blackberry jelly served this way! Another thing to try.
Thank you!

1 Like

Sing it loud. :smile:

1 Like

That sounds delicious. Will you share your recipe?

Thanks, Aubergine!

We eat red pepper jelly with chicken or pork, any fruit jelly or compote with duck, goose or pork, mint jelly with lamb, blackcurrant or rhubarb jelly/compote with lamb. Lingonberry or cranberry with any poultry.

We haven’t eaten any jelly with beef pie or beef. A lot of people in Canada eat ketchup with tourtières or shepherd’s pie (cottage pie- Canadian shepherds pie is made of beef, which is called cottage pie in the UK and Ireland). Chili sauce ( a condiment, not a chili) is also served with meat pies in some parts of Canada.

2 Likes

Wy not?

2 Likes

Years ago I found this recipe on Food & Wine; they called it a relish, I don’t know why. Now, I can’t find it there. Here are two sites that have the exact same recipe. (Original said to use a nonreactive pot: I use Berndes nonstick.) I don’t drink Bourbon but I love using it for this recipe; if you don’t want to use alcohol, just sub a cup of orange juice.

It’s also great on a toasted English muffin or bagel with cream cheese.

2 Likes

My recipe posted in another thread:

1 Like

The first thing that comes to mind is lingon/lingonberries with Swedish meatballs, in lieu of or in addition to the cream sauce you get at Ikea (or in Stouffer’s frozen version?). Lingon is very similar to cranberries in appearance and taste and is very common in Nordic dishes with any kind of meat.

Some varieties of lingon are called cranberries, in fact. This article includes some culinary uses as well as basic info.

I went looking for recipes and this beef stew with lingonberries was the second thing that popped up. I wouldn’t mind trying a big plate of that. (I know nothing of the website but lingonberries are used in the stewing and as garnish).

Meat pie with jam? Bring it on.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I enjoy the seasonal Maple Cranberry Orange spread TraderJoe’s sells in jars. If I were to make cranberry anything, I would use maple syrup/maple sugar as the sweetener

1 Like

Thanks, everyone.

I ended up briefly ditching my preparations and heading to the deli for some pickled beets.
They were a hit! I’d never have thought of it but it worked well.
Next time I’ll make my own for better flavor but they were good.

We love cranberry sauce so I will refer back to all of your ideas and recipes over time.

Many thanks to you all. Happy New Year! :clinking_glasses:

The problem with pickled beets (or for that matter, any beets) is that they stain terribly. I made borscht once and my hands were purple for days!

Good in mincemeat…

I had a berry farmer friend with a forward- thinking wife who insisted on plamting some acres in lingonberries. I helped them make some syrups and jams. Wildly popular with an infinitessimal fraction of the intended market.

They weren’t grown in a bog like cranberries, BTW…

1 Like