Weekly Menu Planning May 2023

It’s been good so far- a few hiccups- I couldn’t find the mattress pad and blankets for the guest bed for a while- eventually dug through enough boxes to locate them but hey now I know where the outdoor Christmas lights are.

It’s nice having guests in the brand new guest bedroom and using the brand new guest bathroom. Also really motivating to get some painting done last week

6 Likes

Thankfully we have volunteers scheduled for clean up- but I was there as well going over details. Each family is required to do a certain number of volunteer hours or your membership dues go way up so clean up is rather popular if you find yourself low on hours. And the city (who owns the rink) increasingly wants to do more of the putting things back in order with their employees. So we just have to take down signage and clear out the catering kitchen. My kiddo scored a bunch of Chobani yogurt cups which I never (ever) buy after packing up the judges’s lounge fridge.

It was rather overwhelming but I feel I know so many more families in the club now and since I haven’t been working for a few years, the organizational challenge was very good for me mentally

6 Likes

The June discussion is ready whenever your plan is more in June than May.

1 Like

Actuals for May 22 week, cooking for two in MN. Where we’re wishing for rain while appreciating sunny mild days and cool (55-60F) nights. My week included a couple of meals/recipes by video blogger Julia Pacheco, and today’s meal using family recipes that hold many happy memories for me. The Kebobs and Snowcap Salad were made only a couple of times each year, and Memorial weekend was one of them. Recipes for those will be posted as separate comments below.

Mon: Chicken thighs, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, sliced tomato
Tues: lunch - first of the summer BLT’s on toast, chips, red grapes. Dinner - Shrimp Louie-inspired composed salad (chilled shrimp, iceberg lettuce, thousand island dressing, tomato, croutons, Parm cheese flakes, artichoke hearts,), beside lemon-pepper skillet-cooked salmon.
Wed: Pork chops and slow-cooker baked beans,- Julia Pacheco recipe modified to slow-cook beans 5 hours rather than instant pot. Corn, dinner roll
Thurs: Reheat Pork chop, slow-cooker baked beans, fresh corn on the cob, dinner roll
Fri: Chicken & Mushrooms Marsala over rice (with cream cheese, Marsala wine, chives) – based on a recipe from Plated. Spinach salad. Dessert -Bakery cheesecake slice with fresh strawberries
Sat: French dip sandwich mini’s a Julia Pacheco recipe, red grapes, reheated baked beans
Sun (today): Kebobs, snowcap salad, microwaved layered potato torte

12 Likes

Midwesterner Family Kebob recipe

1 1/2 lbs meat (beef round), cut into cubes (I use Costco’s beef for stew, cubes cut smaller)

1/2 c. catsup
1 tsp. salt
2 T. sugar
2 T. A-1 steak sauce
2 T. cider vinegar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. water
2 T. salad oil

Place cubed meat in bowl. Combine all remaining ingredients in saucepan and heat to boiling. Pour over meat, and let stand in refrigerator several hours or overnight.

String on skewers and cook over hot coals. Reheat marinating liquid for sauce.

Serves 4.

4 Likes

Midwesterner Family Snowcap Salad recipe -
Note: Full recipe makes a HUGE salad, and leftovers are good for breakfast. I make a 1/3 size recipe for two that fits well in a 2-quart lidded casserole, and it’s enough for 6 servings.

1 head iceberg lettuce torn by hand
¾ cup chopped green onion (or snipped fresh chives)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
8 oz. frozen peas, not cooked
¾ lb. bacon, fried and crumbled
3 hard cooked eggs, sliced
½ lb. grated swiss cheese

Dressing:

1 cup sour cream
1 cup Miracle Whip
2 tsp. lemon juice
dash each – salt, pepper, garlic salt

Layer salad ingredients in large glass bowl, starting and ending with lettuce. Mix dressing ingredients in smaller bowl. Top salad with dressing - using light touches with back of spoon or spatula to “frost” the top of lettuce, being sure to spread dressing to seal edges. Cover with saran wrap and chill 24 hours before serving.

5 Likes

My actual meals were more last minute innovations this week:

Victoria Day Mon: roast shoulder of lamb with middle eastern spices, potato salad, Waldorf salad, roast parsnips, cherry pie

Tue: Flattened tandoori chicken from the grocery store, cooked at home, jasmine rice , broccoli with lemon and olive oil

Wed: tandoori chicken and masala Mac & cheese
Thu: bacon, onion, Scottish cheddar and mushroom strata, asparagus

Fri: Take-out fish and chips, shrimp, purchased spanakopita, purchased baklava

Sat: steak, asparagus, baked sweet potatoes with clementines and almonds, potato salad

Sun: Italian sausage, Rao’s vodka sauce, pasta, Swiss chard and spinach from the garden

13 Likes

Not much cooking this week. There were lots if things keeping Lulu and me busy in the afternoons, and then she left town Thursday for a debate event in Kentucky. I’ve had the house to myself for a few days, and have absolutely loved it. LLD will be home in an hour or so.

Mon: ladies night at one of our favorite places in town, to celebrate the end of the school year.

Tues: carry out

Wed: shake shack, I love the mushroom “burger”

Thurs: one of my new favorites, Diana Henry’s white beans with roasted tomato salad.

Fri: big salad with beets, turkey bacon, blue cheese, and walnuts.

Sat: pasta with baby zucchini and leftover turkey bacon and blue cheese. For something made to use up leftovers, this was delicious and so satisfying. It’s unseasonably chilly here, and a carb-fest was just the thing.

Sun: I’ve told LLD to pick whatever carry out he craves the most after almost 2 weeks away.

Hope everyone has a great week.

16 Likes

Where’s that Diana Henry white bean and roasted tomato salad from?

1 Like

Such great meals while LLD’s gone, and a great plan for his return tonight! EDIT: and great you got time alone at home!

1 Like

Is this the white bean and roasted tomato salad recipe from Diana Henry?

2 Likes

A now-retired colleague from the Midwest used to bring this salad to department parties. I had no idea what it was called!

2 Likes

[Content moved to June thread]

1 Like

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore and trying to clear out the freezer

Monday: honey mustard pork chop, leftover jasmine rice, leftover sauteed zucchini with Mural of Flavor seasoning
Tuesday: homemade pan pizza with dough and pizza sauce from the freezer
Wednesday: chicken cacciatore from the freezer over cavatappi pasta
Thursday: Wednesday leftovers
Friday: cilantro tequila lime marinated chicken breast (freezer) with cauliflower rice and green salad
Saturday: Friday leftovers

9 Likes

Gourmet had a recipe maybe two decades ago for a white bean tomato salad that has the dubious distinction of being the first salad I ever enjoyed. They included oil-packed tuna (like Ortiz or Tonnino), and the combination was just fantastic!

2 Likes

It’s from From the Oven to the Table. Two friends have tried it and also love it. If any of you try it, I recommend roasting the tomatoes for much longer than the 15 minutes she suggests; i went with 35 this time, and they were delightful candy-like tomato bombs. I’ve served it with toast, and with polenta, and both worked well.

10 Likes

I love a classic bean and tuna salad! Usually without tomatoes though.

4 Likes

Yes! That’s it, thanks so much!

It was a complete surprise, and completely enjoyed.

2 Likes

Me too. With onion or shallot. And a sprinkle of parsley.

3 Likes