Weekly Menu Planning May 2023

Great to know! (I’m going to need to copy all this fantastic advice into our separate Google doc so I don’t forget it / forget where I saw it in a few months…)

Also, does it make me a bad parent to kind of want my kid to suffer through Customs and Immigration “the old fashioned way” just once? :wink: He has no idea how much easier we make travel with PreCheck etc…

5 Likes

I know this is way off-thread, but I know what you mean. Our Spring Onion (8 yo now) has been through the good (breezing through customs with Global Entry even while exhausted) and bad in terms of international travel (pre-Global Entry days of, pardon my political incorrectness, just “sucking it up” and waiting in a long-ass line with everyone else). He’s now so chill that when we’ve been faced with a travel challenge, he just goes with the flow, even better than the old people (ie, me and B) so I think it did him some good.

ETA: That said, on our last trip from Iceland/Canary Islands, coming home, we looked at traffic and decided to take the T home instead of Lyft/Uber. Unbeknownst to us, the red line was shut down from JFK to Kendall and it took us well over 2 hours to get home after a 6-hour flight. But, hell, we saved $50! :rofl:

5 Likes

It is the ‘sauce’ rom the Canlis’ Shrimps recipe I’ve had for 50 or so years. A basic scampi recipe with garlic scented butter, shrimp, dry vermouth, lemon juice and more butter. I used itty bitty scallops this time. Excellent. Somewhere on HO I posted the recipe within the last year. I’ll dig it out again, hopefully soon.

6 Likes

I must have missed it. Are you saying this is from the restaurant Canlis, located in Seattle? It sounds delicious, of course.

There were several Canlis’, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Honolulu. I visited the S.F. and Honolulu locations. The finest in fine dining on the west coast, IMHO.

1 Like

Thanks - I didn’t realize they were even a small chain. I hope to hit up the local one in Seattle soon. I’ve heard they have a new chef (as of several years ago), which is keeping things interesting.

Hello to everyone from the Warm! Twin Cities o MN where I told my kiddos I would pay them 5 cents per dandelion bloom they picked to make the yard look better. My wallet is now $22 lighter, and that doesn’t count for the Tooth fairy obligations. The yard looks much better. It’s been a challenging few days: one of little kiddo’s classmates died very unexpectedly on Friday, Mr Autumm has a new job, and I broke the sign up genius for the skating competition volunteers . Lots of hugs and snuggles around here (and I was able to retrieve my volunteer info this evening!) Counting our blessings, actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 skating girls with our home rink’s competition less than 10 days away! Big kiddo skating to Raindrops keep falling on my head, little one to Superstition:

Fri 5: Little kiddo skated. Big kiddo band practice. Chicken fajitas with assorted fixings

Sat 6: Put the new kitchen to a real world test. Giant batch of red sauce and a big pan of lasagna. Homemade soooo much better than store bought! Freezer is filling up!

Sun 7: I had a committee meeting. Mr Autumm grilled brats, coleslaw and assorted odds and ends. Leftoverpallooza for lunch so a very full dishwasher of containers

Mon 8: Both girls skated. Leftover lasagna and side salads

Tues 9: 6th grade band concert Mr Autumm’s first day at new job (in office!) Take out pizza and salad

Weds 10: Ground turkey larb with lettuce wraps, rice and assorted crudités . One of my favorite fast dinners. https://www.bonappetit.com/columns/cooking-without-recipes/article/chicken-larb-lettuce-wraps

Thurs 11: Need to do a big grocery run so will see what looks good.

Fri 12: Both kiddos skate. Was hoping to grill but could be dinner time storms. Probably leftovers to be honest

Happy eating everyone and extra hugs to those you love

17 Likes

Thanks for the link to the chicken larb wraps. Heartbreaking to hear of your youngest’s classmate passing. :smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

You have a great family and the meals plan are so good! Also, I’m gonna try that recipe in the link.

2 Likes

:cry:

5 Likes

Greetings, People.

A busy week here split between family activities and an ever-demanding garden. Feeling pressed for time, stupid-easy dinners are on the menu.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Chicken teriyaki. Rice. Broccolini. Green beans.

SAT: Penne with oil-roasted tomatoes and kale. Caesar salad.

SUN: Pan-roasted chicken thighs. Caesar salad.

MON: Chili (with beans) from the freezer. Naked dogs (no buns). Scallions for topping will have to qualify as the veg.

TUE: More chili and dogs.

WED: Beef on the grill. Veg TBD.

THUR: Salmon patties. Oven fries. Salad.

12 Likes

Autumn’s larb has become one of our family favorites over the past few years. It is really good.

4 Likes

So sorry to hear about the unexpected death. Your family has a lot going on this week, including fabulous results in your new kitchen. Best wishes for the new job and the skating competition (assuming that skating performance isn’t like acting, where you wish the opposite!).

4 Likes

I so love larb, and it just may happen tonight. Thanks for the endorsement!

3 Likes

If I have some in the fridge, I like to add some ginger and/or lemongrass. I usually have those squeeze tubes around and I add a squirt right as the meat is finishing cooking

6 Likes

Thanks! Skating is all about mindset- I keep telling big kiddo if you think you might fall you will fall, and if you do get up and keep going. This is our home competition at our own ice so it’s fun and familiar- a great first experience for little one

And thanks to you and everyone for the good vibes- it’s been hard as this is a first really dealing with death for both girls when they are old enough to “get it” The saddest part to me is the family has a 3 week old baby

9 Likes

Here’s the gozleme. This is a one-quarter recipe for the two of us, with lamb, spinach, onion and feta filling.

18 Likes

It looks fabulous! The browning reminds me of scallion pancakes.

3 Likes

It was very good. I woke up thinking about the whole meal this morning - always a good sign. :yum:

6 Likes

Hello everyone and happy Friday. It is a beautiful warm day in Ottawa, Canada today and has been all week. This weekend will be more of the same. What I do this weekend depends on my energy levels. I came down with a cold last weekend and it went down to my chest so it looks like I have asthma again. Getting an inhaler today is an exercise in futility since my doctor’s office is closed on Fridays and we only have one clinic downtown. It’s only open from Monday to Friday from 9 to 2 and they have only one doctor on duty. I tried going there this morning right at opening time then stood in line for an hour to sign in all to find out they are fully booked for the day. So I will have to wait until Monday then call my family doctor. I was hoping to fill my weekend choc-a-block full of activities this weekend but I have a feeling some things might fall by the wayside. I hate being sick 🙁 On a positive note my CSA starts this week and I am very excited! Onto my menus for a singleton this week:

Today: Take-out lunch from a new-to-me Asian restaurant down the street from my office. I ordered a lunch special which comes with miso soup, tonkatsu, rice, edamame, orange segments, and kimchi. Lunch is delicious and within my price range so I will be going back frequently. Dinner tonight will be the usual salad.

Saturday: Take-out. I am hoping to go to a charity shop in the west end to drop off some clothing I am no longer wearing then to the pasta shop across the street to pick up a tortellini alfredo (my favourite take-out dish from there) but I’ll see how I’m feeling. If I’m too tired to march out to the west end and if I decide to stay downtown there is no shortage of restos I can get take-out from 🙂

Sunday: Basa fillet, fiddleheads, other veggie tbd.

Monday: Ginger bok choy soup with noodles. The farm I get my veggies from will be sending out their first newsletter of the season today. I can’t wait to find out what I get!

Tuesday: Stir-fried udon noodles with pork.

Wednesday: Thai tofu noodle salad.

Thursday: My first CSA of the season! I love this time of year 🙂 I have linguine with homemade marinara sauce pencilled in for today but I just remembered I have a jar of passatta in the fridge so I may use it to make an arrabiatta sauce or a puttanesca sauce. Veggie side will be the spring mix I am anticipating.

14 Likes