Weekly Menu Planning - June 2022

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore

Sunday: David Lebovitz’s Herbed Fresh Pasta https://spectatortribune.com/david-lebovitzs-herbed-fresh-pasta/
Monday: Shrimp burger with Old Bay mayo (from Katie Lee’s Endless Summer cookbook) https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/shrimp-burgers-with-old-bay-mayo-2436812 , frozen beer battered fries
Tuesday: Vegetable Manicotti (again from Endless Summer) https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/cheesy-vegetable-manicotti-4700605
Wednesday: leftover veg manicotti
Thursday: Salmon Salad (Endless Summer)
Friday: Hanger steak with jalapeno butter (Endless Summer), roasted baby yukon gold potatoes, green salad

18 Likes

Enjoy the staycation!

LLD and I ordered lobster rolls one night this week (Lulu has been away, zero cooking has happened). They were delicious but so tiny for the amount charged. I’m not normally a person who says things like that, but this seemed insane.

7 Likes

My brother lives in Santa Barbara. I remember there being a fun seafood place right on the water that I enjoyed. Hope you have a wonderful time!

3 Likes

Hello and happy long weekend that snuck up on me!

Getting back in the planning groove, enjoying grocery shopping with a view to meals I’ll look forward to.

Fri - Shabbat dinner with a friend and his family. A wonderful evening with two very chatty little people who kept inviting me to “come back anytime, maybe tomorrow?” :smile: So cute. Chicken fingers made by the kids, green beans, rice, arugula salad, baby potatoes, challah. I baked brownies for dessert and took strawberries, plus there was a dizzying array of ice cream choices!

Sat - Late lunch / early appetizer of Mujadara, before another birthday week dinner out with a friend - Mediterranean food at a new-ish place.

Sun - TBD, possibly in the Hamptons with friends. I hate going out for a day, but I’m feeling some pressure.

Mon - Mujadara leftovers when I get home if I go. Otherwise Tuesday’s meal.

Tues - Vietnamese grilled pork chop, broccoli slaw, rice. First two from COTM VFAD (pork marinated over the weekend).

Wed - Leftovers or freezer dive.

Thurs - Char siu pork (country “ribs”), garlic broccoli. (Char siu marinade from VFAD and her recipe in BA, marinated over the weekend.)

Fri - Leftovers or out.

Weekend - TBD. Still waiting to make the larb recipe from COTM Simple Thai Cooking, maybe that, or kheema aloo if I’m craving something comfort-foody.

Still have to replenish flour and sugar for baking…

Wish you all a relaxing and delicious weekend!

16 Likes

Thank you! Definitely will hit up one of the waterfront places for Monday dinner or lunch the other days.

2 Likes

pp! Glad to see you!

3 Likes

Thanks - will try!

2 Likes

This sounds delicious. Adding to my list.

4 Likes

Actuals for June 13 week, cooking for 2 in MN where temperatures today already have and tomorrow will hit 100 F. New chilled meal ideas from Julia Pacheco (video blog and website), and pasta & salad inspirations from you WFD folk are featured. On a hot mid-afternoon last Tuesday I visited a friend’s garden at her invitation to bring home enough rhubarb to chop/freeze 24 Cups (6 bags). More upside down cake, some muffins and a couple experimental recipes are planned when mornings are cool enough for baking.

Mon: Reheated Fiesta chicken for nachos, red and green grapes
Tues: Chicken and Rice Pilaf w/orange and raisins (From Better Homes and Gardens – Meals for One or Two), tossed salad, fresh orange slices
Wed: Steak on the grill, sauteed mushrooms, microwave sweet potato, salad, early in day BAKED rhubarb upside down cake, rhubarb white chocolate blondies.
Thurs: Corn on the cob, chicken and rice pilaf, red grapes
plus a favorite rhubarb sauce/jam got made stovetop – Rhubarb sauce with orange liqueur and ginger.
Fri: Pasta salad w pepperoni, cucumber black olive and copycat equivalents for seasoning and dressing. Details and recipe links on the WFD discussion
Sat: Julia Pacheco recipe for Grinder sandwiches, made individual on hoagie rolls not long loaf. These were great.
Sliced fresh peach
Sun: (today) Julia Pacheco recipe for Greek Tzatziki Chicken sandwiches - open faced on mini-naan for us, pita chips, red grapes. Dessert: slivers of chocolate pie

14 Likes

My wife is a pastor and used to work about 30 minutes from home. Her new church is about 150 yards from our house, and she has mentioned a lot how the drive used to help her switch from work to home mode. Good call.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly on the shrimp burger! And great to see you, Christina!

2 Likes

Good morning! Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Here is what I have planned for 2 adults & 2 kids in Toronto. All the different greens are making use of my CSA. I signed up for a different one this year after doing their short winter CSA, which was really great.

Mon - rigatoni with roasted tomatoes, ricotta & mint (Repertoire), spinach salad

Tues - grilled spicy sausages & bok choy salad , chicken nuggets for kids

Wed - lasagna (from freezer), garlic bread, & caesar salad

Thurs - sweet potato & black bean tacos (Smitten Kitchen), coleslaw

Fri - ordering pizza

Sat - spicy canned salmon rice bowl (Skinny Taste). I’m a little nervous about how this will go over…

Sun - Hot dog fried rice (Repertoire)

14 Likes

I would be, too. But then I haven’t gotten the hang of liking most canned salmon. The lightly smoked salmon from Trader Joe’s is a sometime exception. What proteins will they reliably eat? Smoked salmon (lox) could work, or crab stick (my usual for sushi bowls).

Commiserate with you on the limited palates of young kids…:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Hello all! A bit of a short cooking week for me, as I’m taking Wednesday and Thursday off and heading out of town with a girlfriend for a concert (outdoor). I’m looking forward to a little break from routine and revisiting a summer tradition that was cancelled the last two years.

Cooking for two adults and a (picky) 9 yo in southern Ontario.

Sunday: For Father’s Day dinner we had shrimp cocktail, crab legs with clarified butter, steamed local asparagus, and a cauliflower dish that we’ll never stop being obsessed with (caramelized cauliflower with honey and smoked paprika from Williams-Sonoma’s New Flavors for Vegetables)

Monday: Pressure cooker chipotle-honey chicken tacos. Have made these a few times before and they’re easy and tasty. My daughter will probably just have a cheese quesadilla and some raw fruit and veggies.

Tuesday: Crispy honey ginger salmon bowls

Wednesday: Out at concert. Maybe grab burgers or food truck fare.

Thursday: Spaghetti al limone with shrimp

Friday: Takeout

9 Likes

Do you recommend this book? It looks interesting. How many recipes have you made?

Booking marking the Spaghetti al Limone recipe - thanks!

2 Likes

This sounds right up our alley. Thanks for highlighting.

I’m cooking for two adults and a picky 5-year old (isn’t that redundant?) In Asheville, NC.

Haven’t totally mapped out what we’ll by the day, but probably:

Mon: Mustard-Glazed Salmon with Corn, Snap Peas & Tomatoes (Marleyspoon meal kit); kiddo will probably have some Soycutash with butter as his side

Tue: Baharat Chicken Pan Roast with Feta (another MarleySpoon); kiddo will probably have the chicken folded into a tortilla with some kind of creamy sauce

Wed: Breaded shrimp (from frozen) tacos with Sriracha mayo and vinegar cumin slaw, sauteed Dino kale. Planning to make popcorn shrimp for the kiddo’s portion and probably adding cheese to his. I’m going out :raised_hands:t2: so this needs to be quick prep.

Thurs: Indo-Chinese Chilli paneer, probably with TJ’s Taiwanese scallion pancakes (which remind me of roti) and miso-glazed braised radishes (we never tire of this recipe!). No/minimal chili in the kid’s portion.

Fri: Berbere Pork Cutlets with Bulgur-Mint Salad, Zucchini & Feta (MarleySpoon).
I haven’t figured out yet how I’ll entice the kiddo. Probably BBQ sauce and a pasta side.

Sat: Pesto alla Trapanese over angel hair. Hopefully everyone will eat this.

Sun: smoked beef chuck roast, potato salad with egg, garden chard

10 Likes

which CSA are you using?

I managed to save it but man, this recipe made no sense to me.

1 Like