Weekly Menu Planning - January 2024

Good luck (sounds like a good plan to me) and we want a full report, either here or on WFD.

2 Likes

Seems the RecipeTin COTM thread would be an appropriate place.

Sure. I have been reporting over there but it’s been kind of lonely. :laughing:

1 Like

My standard ratio is 2:1 for fluffy (not hard) rice, but given this calls for a shallow pan, I’d expect more evaporation than usual, maybe that’s why the slight increase.

2 Likes

I hear you. No fun talking into a vacuum. Maybe cross-post links here or on WFD in case people miss the COTM report?

3 Likes

Delicious week! Pot roast, viet caramel chicken, pork roast, just feed me already!

I saw TJ’s ad for their new frozen tortilla and am craving tortilla like a crazy person now :joy:

2 Likes

Ditto. I can’t see buying that though! Much better freshly made.

Yeah. I could so easily make it tomorrow, I know. That’s why I said crazy person :joy:

I’ve got shrimp, now I’m thinking gambas al ajillo and tortilla could have a go soon.

1 Like

Hello everyone from a beautiful, sunny, warm Ottawa. It’s hard to believe the weatherman is predicting a dumping of snow tonight and tomorrow. Last night’s movie with the Ottawa Film Society wasn’t my cuppa tea but dinner beforehand was a success. A nearby pub had a bbq’d brisket and ribs platter as their special of the day so I ordered it. The meat was tender and melt-in-your-mouth - probably the best bbq I’ve had in awhile.

On to my menus for this week:

Today: Take-out lunch is a meatball sandwich from a nearby deli. Plans to go out for Indian food with my dinner club got kaiboshed since I now have a man cold :frowning: I started sneezing last night and am now feeling feverish so I will stay at home tonight and tomorrow to power rest - mostly so I don’t give my germs to others - and also hoping that I can salvage part of my weekend. I hate getting sick - it interferes with my social life. Dinner tonight will be a caesar salad.

Saturday: Stuffed green pepper, bean tomato casserole.

Sunday: Basa fillet with egg sauce, rice, and bean tomato casserole on the side.

Monday: risotto with sundried tomatoes and leeks.

Tuesday: peanut butter udon noodles with cucumbers.

Wednesday: The two last chicken skewers that got bumped from last week. I had some mushrooms to finish up so I made carmelized mushrooms and onions and served them over fettucine so I will have chicken and a Greek salad for dinner tonight.

Thursday: Another film society screening. I will eat out on my way to the movie theatre.

Have a nice week everyone!

16 Likes

Yum. Nice plan.

Cooking for 3 in southwestern Ontario.

I didn’t stick to my plan this week.

Wed: panko breaded oven pork chop using a Nagano (breed) pork chop (from Sobeys, fellow Canadians). Orzo with chicken broth, lemon, dill, butter. Leftover chicken breast from Monday reheated slowly in broth. Parsnips and apples roasted together. Substituted lentils with white beans, to make a curried white bean with lentils and dried apricots.

Thu: my 1 kg commercially prepared Au Pied de Cochon tourtière from the freezer, another batch of sour cherry soup using a huge bag of cherries from the freezer, braised dandelion greens with oil and lemon, baked kabocha squash with maple, butter, pumpkin pie spice and sliced almonds. Added 3 chopped tomatoes and a few tbsp of dried coconut milk powder to the leftover curried white beans and apricots, and braised them in the oven while the tourtière and kabocha baked.

I don’t usually serve 2 different pork preps 2 days in a row.

I guess I usually would have served lamb one of those 2 days this past week.

I seem to prepare or order pork, chicken, beef, fish, lamb and shellfish once a week, pattern fluctuating a bit depending on leftovers. Duck legs maybe once a month lately.

I used to serve more frittatas, stratas, main course pastas, risottos and cheese mains 5 years ago, but that isn’t working with some of our health concerns, general moderation and/or portion control issues. Legumes are on the table daily, either canned or prepared from dry.

Fri: halibut. I’m going to make a jewelled halibut with herbs and clementines, based on this Bonnie Stern jewelled roasted salmon recipe.. Starch undecided. Kale-lemon-parm- currant salad.

Sat: leftover tourtière or steak

Sun: take-out to be decided.

15 Likes

Hope you feel much better soon.

3 Likes

Hope you feel better soon. Very sorry to hear you came down with a bug.

3 Likes

@LulusMom1 @Phoenikia Thanks! I’m in the early stages of a cold and I’m mostly worried about giving my germs to others especially with covid making its rounds. I’m sure I’ll be back on my feet in no time.

3 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where we’re buckling up for some crazy weather, from storms to extra-cold temperatures! Hope my new rosemary bush makes it this time!
Breakfast: Chocolate orange muffins
Saturday, January 13: Cuban chicken and rice; roasted carrots
Sunday: Let’s turn the oven on to cook some beans! Going to do some big white beans with spinach, Greek-style, beets and charred green onions from Extra Good Things, and some pistachio-cranberry bars. Maybe homemade bread to keep the oven on??
Monday-Tuesday: Scrounge
Wednesday: Miso-brown butter pasta from Family
Thursday: TBD
Friday: Miso salmon and cucumber from Simple (Diana Henry), but with the salmon cooked
Hope everyone stays/gets well and keeps warm this week! Happy cooking!

14 Likes

You’re a man? I had no idea

I am in fact a woman - I was being a bit facetious when I said I have a man cold. I have a mild cold today so I decided to stay home tonight since I am sneezing a lot and I don’t want to give anyone my germs.

6 Likes

Oh, haha. Confusing.

Adding my wishes for a speedy recovery.

3 Likes

I hope all of you are staying warm and dry.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: Might pick up a loaf of chocolate bread from a bakery to eat as toast.

S: (tonight) takeout - variety of dumplings from Din Tai Fung

Su: Egg scramble with spinach and cheese, home fries, and sourdough toast - vegetarian

M: Chili with garlic toast - soup

T: TJs butternut squash ravioli, Boursin cheese, spinach, crab - seafood

W: Sloppy joes (using a seasoning packet, nothing fancy) and apple slices

Th: Leftovers from freezer before an evening outreach event

F: TJs orange chicken and fried rice - skipped last week due to eating a big lunch on the day planned

Have a good week!

16 Likes

Actuals for Jan 8 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where winter snows mostly missed us, but the wind and sub-zero cold are plenty of reason to wear the BIG coats. Our extended families in Iowa got 2 feet of snow, plus drifting and have even colder wind-chill than us. I was feeling a bit smug yesterday with a spare gallon of milk already in the fridge, and having just been out Friday for an eye appointment at Costco and got extra meat and cold cereals. Humbled today - my spare gallon, opened this morning, has a use by date of last Tuesday. While OK now, it won’t be in a couple of days. I’ll make a milk run today.

Mon: A fresh round of Nachos (Deli pork carnitas meat, black beans, cheese on tortilla chips), spinach
Made and refrigerated for lunches the rest of the week Kielbasa and cabbage soup (French cabbage soup)
Tues: Reheated Oriental Sheetpan Chicken & Rice, raw spinach salad, Blueberries w cottage cheese
Wed: Salmon, tossed salad - romaine, cucumbers broccoli, tomatoes, Dessert a baked kugel using rotini, ricotta cheese dried apples, golden raisins, graham topping. An oddball recipe, no longer online and next time I will use egg noodles and fresh apple.
Thus: Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff over baked-from-frozen biscuits. Tossed salad.
Fri: Pork Tenderloin w/ maple dijon glaze Sweet potato puffs, V8, blueberries w cottage cheese
Sat: Petites Poches - Lemon and Ricotta Stuffed Chicken Breasts, wild rice, bag salad
Sun: Reheat pork tenderloin, add BBQ sauce, with cheesy grits as side. Salad

12 Likes