Weekly Menu Planning - January 2024

I’m going to make it tomorrow.

1 Like

Hard to imagine it being bad. Kind of reminds me of Black Southern mac and cheese…but with Gruyere.

1 Like

Iranian Lentil Tomato Soup

It was originally posted by the Washington Post but this link isn’t behind a paywall :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you! I actually have this one saved (I subscribe), so your endorsement is a good nudge to try it.

2 Likes

I’ve made that one, too (several times). It’s a keeper.

2 Likes

Voting for the February COTM is happening now. Please join us!

Did you like it?

Greetings, People.

Another soggy week in the forecast. It will be comfort food for dinner all week long.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Pork and cabbage stir fry – most likely the Epicurious “better than takeout” verson.

SAT: ATK’s red beans and rice. Veg TBD.

SUN: Sauteed chicken breasts. NYT’s spinach and artichoke pasta (gift link).

MON: Somebody’s birthday (not mine). DH is making M.K. Fisher’s potato chips (yay!) and cooking a cowboy steak on the grill. My job is a salad for dinner, and a pie with ice cream for dessert.

TUE: Salmon in some form. Inevitably a green salad to go with.

WED: NYT’s skillet rosemary chicken and potatoes (gift link). Salad greens.

THUR: Pork and onion vareniki. Ina Garten’s spinach gratin.

13 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where we’re riding that winter weather rollercoaster!

Breakfast: Peanut butter banana muffins
Saturday, January 27: A salad for the warm weather: poached chicken and broccoli in a lemon dressing. Maybe some bread or flatbread on the side.
Sunday: Beef satay from the Complete Asian Cookbook, rice, sautéed cabbage, chocolate cake.
Monday: Off to Nashville for a concert; will have dinner with a friend
Tuesday: Scrounge
Wednesday: Tofu sambal, rice, green beans
Thursday: Scrounge
Friday: Placeholder for Family recipe
Have a good week, everyone, and happy cooking!

13 Likes

Hello from Ottawa where it is very soggy and I’m looking forward to this part of winter being over. We got freezing rain on Wednesday night and continued yesterday so our sidewalks and roads were covered in ice. Today the temperature warmed up and it’s raining out so yesterday’s ice melted. There are puddles the size of lakes forming everywhere. I wish the city would plow the snow… I had intended on getting a hair cut tomorrow then spend the rest of the weekend going on some museum visits but I think I will bump everything to next weekend when hopefully the walking conditions will be a little better. Onto my menus actuals from last Sunday to planned through next Thursday.

Sunday: I went to see an art exhibition at City Hall. They are showing works of art recently acquired by the City of Ottawa which will eventually be installed in various municipally owned buildings around the city. I went errand running after so I got home a little later than anticipated so I made a dinner that could be thrown together quickly. I had peanut butter noodles with cucumbers.

Monday: I had a basa fillet poached in a tomato sauce with olives and capers, rice on the side. I was going to boil some potatoes for potato salads for lunches this week but I managed to dirty every pot and pan I own while preparing dinner. Since I didn’t feel like washing dishes so I could have a clean pot to use I thought I’d make lunch the next morning before my in-the-office day. Ha!

Tuesday: The making of the potato salad never happened so I bought lunch - a Thai chicken curry from the Thai place in the food court. I made a potato salad for dinner making enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Wednesday: Chili, puréed acorn squash, peas.

Thursday: Fettucine al pesto to finish up the basil I had in the fridge, wedge salad to start.

Today: Off to the drugstore and liquor store for provisions for the weekend :slight_smile: No more ice on the sidewalks! But copious amounts of water everywhere. I only got splashed once! Then I stopped at the shop across the street that sells a combination of prepared meals and locally sourced goods and they have a lunch counter near the cash. I was hoping to score a cheese tray but there was none today but they did have a salade nicoise that I love. I wish they would sell the very addictive salad dressing by the bottle. Probably a garden salad for dinner.

Saturday: bbq pork chow mein.

Sunday: Stirfried boneless skinless chicken breast with peppers. Rice on the side.

Monday: Risotto with leek and sundried tomatoes.

Tuesday: Salade nicoise again but my own homemade version. Not as good as the one I had for lunch on Friday but good none-the-less.

Wednesday: Chili, squash and peas again.

Thursday: Pasta with a marinara sauce. Veggie side tbd.

Have a nice dry week everyone!

14 Likes

Hi everyone

Cooking just for myself for a bit, back in my own kitchen. Bleak and grey outside, but at least it’s warmer than just before I got back!

Goal for the next week or two is to use up some freezer proteins. There isn’t a lot, but it’s mostly red meat which I usually eat infrequently (and why it’s still there), so it’s good weather to get to it.

I’m a bit short on ideas, so I went back and looked for things on old plans that never got made or sounded appealing again:

Ants climbing a tree + Chinese steamed egg
Oyako Donburi
– Spanish tortilla + alioli + sauteed chorizo
Vietnamese pork chop (marinated and frozen) + slaw + Umami garlic noodles
– Homemade pizza (either my modified Roberta’s dough or super lazy tortilla or naan pizza)
– Miso salmon (Nobu) OR Mustard salmon (Bengali) + rice + garlic spinach
– Lamb biryani (meat marinated in the freezer)
– Kati roll (TJs kababs + egg paratha + pickled onions + zhoug)

Also in the plan:
– Ikea copycat broccoli cakes / medallions
– Chinatown trip for mushrooms & greens I’ve been missing
– A few lbs of beet-cured salmon for the freezer, so I can take some to my sis, and to my aunt before that (who apparently didn’t get any at Thanksgiving, even though I made it specifically for her)

Wish you all a relaxing weekend!

14 Likes

First week of the semester coming up… aaiieee!!!

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: probably more chocolate chip scones. Tasty, comforting, chocolatey-goodness.

S: (tonight) takeout - red beef and bean burrito

Su: Lasagna w/salad

M: Leftover lasagna w/salad

T: Teriyaki fish (tbd), veggies, fried rice - seafood

W: Zucchini ricotta galette with salad - vegetarian

Th: Ramen with chicken and veggies - soup

F: Old school crunchy tacos

Have a good week!

13 Likes

Actuals for Jan 22 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where too many grocery stops for just one item (and coming out with a couple of bags) had overwhelmed my fridge/freezer inventory-keeping and refilled my canned goods storage space. I just updated the inventory and made plans to use the excess fridge items in the upcoming week. The canned items don’t expire until 2025 — I have time to make enough batches of chili and taco soups to use all those beans and tomatoes.

Mon: Broccoli Soup, smoked turkey lunchmeat half-sandwich
Tues: Higher-effort salad balanced by low-effort boxed frozen Chicken Yakasobi meal.
Tossed salad with chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, feta, Greek dressing
Wed- Sushi. Grocery salmon, rice and broccoli meal, salad, pineapple
Thurs: Mexican turkey-meatball soup, tortilla chips
Fri: Orange Roughy, mashed potatoes, tossed salad greens with broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes and shaved parm.
Sat: I was OUT at fancy fundraiser wine/food pairings dinner. Delicious but the chef’s idea of small plates was full-sized servings; I only managed single-bite tastes of the last 2 courses (and wished for to-go boxes ). Spouse stayed home with reheated soup & salad.
Sun: (today) Sheetpan oriental chicken w roasted brussels spouts. Fresh pears and cottage cheese.

10 Likes

Hi everyone, hope you’re having a good week, and staying warm and dry (looking at you, OttawaOperaDiva). It’s been a crazy week here, good news, bad news, scary stuff. But it seems like maybe things are calming down. Here is what we ate this week:

Mon: very busy, and LLD had a work dinner, so Lulu and I decided to get carry out. We didn’t realize there was a UNC basketball game happening. Oops! We drove down to get the food, a trip that would normally take maybe 10 minutes, and didn’t get back until over 30 minutes later. I really need to get a schedule each year, because this isn’t the first time something like this has happened.

Tues: penne with broccoli, rosemary, and turkey bacon

Wed: Lulu was at a party, so we scrounged. I loved this! LLD had leftovers, and I had toast with goat cheese and spinach. So easy, so delicious, very little cleanup.

Thurs: carry out

Fri: indian-spiced roasted vegetables (COTM),fried eggs

Sat: LLD made mushroom risotto

Sun: carry out.

I guess I didn’t cook much this week! I made a loaf of sage and onion bread that is absolutely delicious. More cooking in the week to come. Have a good, delicious week everyone!

11 Likes

oh, so sorry to hear about bad news and scary stuff. I hope a turn for the better soon.

I love the toast with goat cheese and spinach! I think I know what I’m having for dinner! With some garlic and good EVOO, spinach is so wonderful.

The sage and onion bread sounds wonderful (good toast for spinach and goat cheese). Recipe?

4 Likes

Hi friends, we are finishing out January more disordered-ly than usual. DS has the flu (fortunately no more fever) and I’m not feeling great either. We all just want juice and soup and ice cream, but I’m forcing real food in there too. Dinner last night was buttered noodles for DS, buttered noodles with cheese for me, and sugary cereal for DH.

I planned some meals but haven’t quite figured out what’s happening when, beyond today…

Lunch today was soup with meatballs, orzo, carrots, and escarole - based on this, https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/escarole-and-little-meatball-soup-109027 . Meatballs were chicken and turkey, and I made plenty extra for another time. The guys were both annoyed by the escarole.

Dinner today will be chicken sandwiches - probably marinated (once the chicken defrosts) and topped with sliced tomato and cheddar. (And maybe escarole? :laughing:)

Other meals, in no particular order:
Pasta bolognese (from The Dinner Plan)
Turkey cutlets, Greek potatoes https://www.thechunkychef.com/wprm_print/12888
Beef and broccoli ramen stir-fry https://www.maryswholelife.com/beef-and-broccoli-ramen-stir-fry-gluten-free/

If I feel up to it, I may also make this tex-mex buckwheat dish I found in the NYT Cooking app - sounds like Spanish rice but with buckwheat - for my lunches.

13 Likes

I hope you all feel better soon! Such a dreary day in Boston area today.

Tex-mex buckwheat sounds very intriguing; is it this recipe?

1 Like

Yep, that’s the recipe. I was thinking to throw a can of beans in to make it more of a complete meal, and wasn’t planning to freeze it - I guess this came from a “dishes that freeze nicely” collection? (Thanks for sharing it!)

2 Likes

Thanks Madrid. I think everything will be ok, but it was a rough week. Just make normal no knead bread but add 2 tablespoons of dried onion and 1 of dried sage. I added an extra tablespoon of water to help hydrate the onion, and was really happy with the texture.

Enjoy the goat cheese and spinach toast! I know it will be delicious!

3 Likes

I hope everyone feels much better soon! And I think guys are always annoyed by escarole.

4 Likes