Weekly Menu Planning - February 2023

Cooking for two adults and a 5-yo in Asheville, NC. I have my recipes picked out for the next few weeks - namely from The Weekday Vegetarians, The Woks of Life Cookbook, Milk Street’s Cookish, and a few online source/magazines.

11 Likes

Hello to everyone from the soon to be very snowy Twin Cities of MN where I don’t know where the foot plus of snow they are forecasting is going to go. On the sides of our driveway we still have 3 foot (one meter) high ice mounds. Plus an over full dumpster and the porta potty. Planning for at least one distance learning/snow day this week.

In other news the reno marches on: Countertops went in last Friday!, appliances today, but the space from the cooktop was 1/8 inch too small. And the plumbing/electrical wasn’t ready for dishwasher install. And the doors above the double ovens (OMG SOOO in love!) weren’t leveled so I retreated to the basement and cut in the ceiling wall paint line because suddenly the was sooo unstresfull. They put the door back on the master bath so we have a compel functioning toilet (but not yet sink) but all 3 showers are working. The phrase “complete toilet” has been our running joke the past week. As the girls’ bathroom’s toilet is a complete toilet but it is in the main entryway. If you are wondering about the “complete toilet” phrase check out your local home repair store where you can decide if you want your toilet to flush a basket of golf balls or a dozen billiards balls. Anyways. . . actuals and a few plans for 2 adults and 2 growing girls

Thurs 16: Big kiddo off at 6th grade field trip. Out to dinner with little one

Fri 17: Big kiddo back from field trip. Thankfully no skating! Teriyaki chicken meatballs (costco) with farro, spinach salads

Sat 18: Prime and paint went way late at the house. Quesadillas with avocado and black beans

Sun 19: Mexican take out after a painting and priming marathon. They messed up our order but but had the best customer service so super happy with them - had never tried their carnitas but pretty yummy. Also car fire on the way for pick up and 4 squads responding to a stolen car in our apartment lot

Mon 20: No school day, appliance drama. both kiddos skated with substitute coach. Store bought toaster waffles, defrosted berries, smokies.

Tues 21: Both girls skate at different rinks Frozen pot pies for Mr Autumm and big kiddo. Leftovers and a bath bomb for little girl. scrounge for me

Weds 22: Thinking swim lessons will be canceled due to snow issues. Lazy mommy’s fish tacos Spinach salad with wam tacon dressing ?

Thurs 23: big snow expected. Pork loin is on sale. We have the ingredients for stuffing. Broccoli

Take care everyone! Happy shoveling!

16 Likes

Ack, so much drama! Hang in there!!

3 Likes

I hope the expected big snow gives you a little break in some ways, and some warm and cozy moments at home, and doesn’t [much] delay the ongoing renovation. We’ve had about 3 inches of snow this season in Boston. I wish I could take some of your snow…I miss it.

Big progress being made, however slowly! Yes, lots of drama; that 1/8 in off must have been so frustrating. I hope the double oven love compensated a bit, even if you can’t use it yet! I love the toilet story!

Hang in there! I think you are eating amazingly well given the circumstances…

6 Likes

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore

Tuesday: buttermilk-marinated breaded chicken cutlets, jasmine rice, sauteed squash and onions
Wednesday: Carmine’s Pasta Pomodoro
Thursday: Sizzle burger from Simply Julia with orzo pasta
Friday: hanger steak, mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli
Saturday: Friday leftovers
Sunday: Chicken cacciatore with penne (the winning recipe from Bobby Flay’s throwdown recipe)
Monday: Sunday leftovers

14 Likes

February really is a short month. The March discussion is ready for when your plan is more March than February. Weekly Menu Planning - March 2023

2 Likes

Still cooking for two in northwest England, where the snowdrops in the garden look fantastic. And there’s already a few early daffodils in flower.

Friday - meat pies (farm shop purchase). Veg

Saturday - a sort of Spanish theme … pork & chorizo meatballs, aioli, cod croquetas (Lidl), patatas bravas, salad. Ice cream & apricot compote (Bonne Maman)

Sunday - chilli, sweet potato, guacamole (supermarket)

Monday - Salmon, new potatoes, veg. And the freezer has a bag labelled “sauce for fish” which could be anything.

Tuesday - lamb chops. saffron & tomato rice (Sophie Grigson recipe), veg

Wednesday - out ( local Italian rearranged form this week)

Thursday - squash & lentil dhansak (untried recipe from magazine), flatbreads

12 Likes

It’s reassuring to see that others have such miscellany frozen, despite attempts to accurately label at the time. I’ve got one with a partial marking “tomato and (smeared) base for soup” and another (un-dated) simply says “turkey broth”. A random-ingredients soup may get made this weekend.

4 Likes

This sounds good… When you make it, can you report back with your opinion??

I’ll try and remember to report back, Dan.

Hello from Ottawa Canada where it is finally sunny out although a little chilly. It’s so nice to have a break from constantly overcast skies. I hope the sun stays out all weekend so I can go for a walk either Saturday or Sunday afternoon - or maybe both! Other than that no plans for the weekend other than rest since I went out with my dinner club on Tuesday night then appointments after work on Wednesday and Thursday. My menus this week are as planned:

Today: My take-out lunch is a schnitzel sandwich from a nearby bistro and I am having it with some leftover coleslaw from last night’s dinner. Tonight’s dinner will be a garden salad and some sliced ham.

Saturday: Bow tie pasta with pan roasted tomatoes and goat cheese, spring mix on the side.

Sunday: Greek salad with salmon.

Monday: Tuscan white beans in tomato sauce served in a delicata squash.

Tuesday: Sautéed chicken livers, mushrooms and onions served over toast or rice. Spring mix on the side.

Wednesday: Korean short ribs, Korean lettuce salad.

Thursday: A screening with the film society so I will have dinner on my way to the theater.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

16 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where it’s been HOT! But now cooling down to fairly normal February temps. Hope those of you getting snowed in either enjoy it or get through it soon…
Tonight: Out to dinner at the local Italian spot where we’ve never been because it’s so hard to score a reservation
Breakfast: Buckwheat pancakes from the Breakfast Book. These are overnight, yeasted pancakes; I guess they’re similar to blini
Saturday, February 25: Invited to a friend’s house, bringing (dried) fig tartlets
Sunday: Sweet potato gnocchi, probably with tomato sauce of some sort. Maybe the braised cabbage I still haven’t done.
Monday: The mushroom frittata I didn’t make this week because we had so many leftovers.
Tuesday: Scrounge
Wednesday: Turkey enchiladas (last of the vacuum-sealed frozen T-day turkey!)
Thursday: scrounge
Friday: Fusilli with Gruyère, spinach, and peas from Dinner
Have a good week, everyone! Happy cooking!

15 Likes

I am glad that the Italian restaurant is flourishing, in these hard times. Would love to hear back from you how you liked the food and the place.
Happy cooking!

1 Like

I would love to send some snow your way (If I could !) We had over a foot of the very light fluffy snow but hard to get an exact number with how much blowing and drifting there was. I’m so ready to be back home but I’m surprisingly rather nervous about learning the behaviors of a new cook top and ovens. The stove here is either on or off for heat, so if you set it to medium it cycles between on and off.

4 Likes

Thank you for all the kind words and support! Things are improving and we had lots of family together time as we had over a foot of snow and 2 snow/remote learning days. Not sure about traditional learning but structural engineering of Lego creations did happen. And Zombie Kittens (card game) Tile back splash is up! and either Habitat for humanity is going to get a big donation or I will have a fully tiled “mudroom closet” as I way over bought backsplash tile and we are out of the return window. Grr. Lots of sanding and looking and thinking about where I want to put things in the cabinets.

Actuals and plans as we get ready to move Home!

Tues 21: The dumpster was picked up! Managed to move stuff around in the garage so we could park Mr Autumm’'s Civic in the garage at the house for the snow storm. And both kiddos skated at different rinks. Out for a late dinner of pizza (leftovers for lunches!) with very tired not so little girls

Weds 22: Snow day (and no swim lessons!) Spinach salad with warm bacon dressing and new potatoes and roasted asparagus A hit. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/spinach-salad-with-warm-bacon-dressing-recipe-1947599

Thurs 23: Snow day! Lazy mommy’s fish tacos with assorted leftovers from Mexican takeout as sides

Fri 24: Both girls skated back to back. Rather grumpy today- big kiddo has a skating test coming up and was freaking out about her footwork sequence. Frozen ravioli with store bought pesto, side salads

Sat 25: No morning skating! A painting marathon at the house as carpet is scheduled to arrive this week for the basement (priming/painting is so much less stressful when you can spill on bare concrete!) Not going to lie- probably; take out

Sun 26: More painting/priming. Something from the freezer- probably cuban pork roast but we shall see

Take care everyone!

16 Likes

We love that AB spinach salad. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

The food was great, but the ambiance was only so-so (hot and crowded). We could see that they do a lot of takeout, so that will be our strategy next time :slight_smile:

You may be able to resell on FB marketplace or your neighborhood / town group.
But donating to HHH or tiling another area in your home is a great idea too.
Save a few tiles as spare in case something gets damaged down the road?

5 Likes

Actuals for Feb 20 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where we “only” got 13 inches of light fluffy snow during the 3-day storm. We were able to clear the driveway during pauses of the snowfall and (driving well under the speed limits) get to some hard-to-reschedule appointments Wednesday and Thursday mornings. Twice this week I found myself searching for the Margaritaville Cookbook that was a Chowhound COTM. Turns out (per my note to myself on the EYB bookshelf) I had used a library copy of the book. I’ve now got my own copy of the ebook version.

Mon lunch: Lasagna (homemade, from freezer), mixed veggies, garlic bread
Mon dinner: Curry cod and coconut rice, fresh pear, grapes
Tues: Reheat Curry cod with added shrimp. Coconut rice. Romaine salad with tomatoes. Orange segments.
Wed: Mahi-Mahi beside Farro/zucchini/haloumi side with naan
Thurs: Hot ham & Swiss poppy seed sandwiches, red grapes, mandarin oranges
Fri lunch: Meatloaf (grocery meat department), microwave baked potatoes, broccoli
Fri dinner: Boursin and tomato pasta sauce with large shells, shredded cooked chicken stirred in. Lettuce. I was not impressed by the pricey Boursin in the pasta recipe and would use cream cheese with herbs instead another time.
Sat: French cabbage soup w/ kielbasa, crackers, fresh pear and red grapes. Dessert - Strawberrries w/ lemon Bundt
Sun noon: Salmon, peas, lemony rotini pasta w/ bacon & pine nuts, simplified a lot from this NYTimes recipe
Sun supper: Margaritaville Cookbook’s Cuban meat loaf survival sandwiches (add cumin & chili seasoning to leftover meat loaf with grilled onions/green pepper, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, mustard, lettuce) - on hoagie buns

14 Likes

How do you think this would be with the roux greatly reduced? I don’t think I would like such a thick soup (plus, calories), but it intrigues me.