Weekly Menu Planning December 2023

Ooh, tell us more! Link?

1 Like

Here is a photo of the apple flatbread pizza where I tried it first, at Foxy in Montreal.

I also enjoyed an apple risotto that I made a few times in 2021 (bacon optional, I added bacon). https://a-modo-mio.com/apple-risotto-with-walnuts/!

3 Likes

It’s me. Thank you!

2 Likes

Dustdude has another month. It’s me. :slight_smile: Thanks!

2 Likes

That’s the one!

1 Like

This looks like it. Honestly, it came from the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook way back in the day. It was how we always made it at home, about once each year. I was so surprised to find out that most people think of it as a fried dish. I no longer use the paprika or cornstarch, and I add garlic now. I’ve also lightened it up a bit, by using a bit less cream and butter. Still good!

3 Likes

Yum, thank you!

Greetings, People.

The final meal plan of 2023! Best wishes to you and yours in 2024.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Senate bean soup (rolled from last week). Salad. Soda bread.

SAT: Leftover pan pizza from the freezer. Salad.

SUN: New Year’s Eve. Thomas Keller’s fried chicken. NYT creamy mac and cheese (gift link). Salad.

MON: New Year’s Day. Pan-fried ham steaks. Leftover mac and cheese. Salad.

TUE: Fish stew. Homemade oyster crackers. Salad.

THUR: Wings on the grill. Veggie stix. The last of the mac and cheese (if any).

14 Likes

Ready for 2024 next week! Here’s the January planning topic.

2 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 3 back in Chattanooga–DD is visiting us for a week! So happy to be back in the kitchen and experimenting with the induction burner I got for Christmas…
Plans for the rest of December:
Thursday, December 28 (today): Beef-mushroom “biftecks” , potato/green bean/tomato salad, vanilla Bavarian cream all from the same vintage French cookbook
Friday: Beef noodle soup (will start stock today), apple-cheddar salad, buttermilk biscuits
Saturday: Potato, mushroom, and goat cheese gratin, charred broccoli salad
Sunday: Waiting for consultation with DD but thinking gougères, filets with mushroom sauce, leftover gratin, flaky chocolate cake
Hope you all are also enjoying time in the kitchen with and/or for people you love! Happy cooking!

16 Likes

Holy cow, this all sounds so good to me!

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, one of your daughters is vegetarian, so this is the other daughter. I don’t eat much meat myself and these menus sound fantastic to me! I hope you 3 enjoy your time together.

2 Likes

Hi, all. A half-baked plan for the three of us in the Boston burbs… this is a combo of actuals and plans.

Sun: we had friends over for our annual Friendsmas Eve of Chinese food, cookies, and drinks. It was really nice. One family showed up in PJs and we moms decided that next year we’ll make that mandatory attire - and then secretly buy our families the same PJs.

Mon: I think we all had sugar for breakfast while opening gifts, but it’s a bit of a blur. Chinese leftovers for lunch. Spiral ham, stovetop mac and cheese, and roasted Brussels sprouts and butternut squash for dinner. DH was grumpy that I didn’t make funeral potatoes but he’s the only one who eats them.

Tues: I got my first shingles vaccine in the late morning and it started kicking my butt just after lunchtime. I think I ate some leftovers around 5:30pm and went to bed shortly thereafter. I assume the guys ate… something…

Weds: still felt lousy, slept and watched tv all day. DH got us Thai takeout for dinner.

Thurs (today): apparently the 48-hour mark was the magic point, as I feel mostly back to normal. Ranch chicken fajitas and beans for dinner.

Fri: I’ve got beans soaking overnight to make ham and bean soup tomorrow for lunch. If the weather cooperates, I’ll try a loaf of bread too - I’ve found that gluten-free bread baking is much more finicky than regular when it comes to ambient humidity. Dinner will be penne al baffo (NYT) - pasta with tomato/ham/cream sauce. Can you tell I’m trying to use up the Christmas ham?

14 Likes

You are correct about the meat-eating daughter, and it’s true that this week is meatier than usual! I’m sure we’ll be back to less meat in the new year…

1 Like

Actuals for this last week of 2023, cooking for 2 in MN. Where it looks like snow season might at last be getting started, with an inch overnight that won’t be melting anytime soon. I’ve had a LOT of fun, “playing” in my kitchen this week. I’m so fortunate to have good ingredients, appliances that work well, and a spouse that will eat (almost) everything.

Wishing you good health, good meals and joy in the New Year.

Mon: (Christmas Day) - dinner - Steak w mushrooms, sweet potato, spinach souffle, devilled eggs, ripe olives, fruit salad. Mini cheesecakes. Supper - repeat of Christmas Eve - Stacked crab/avocado/salsa salad. Fruit salad. Naan.
Tues: . Reheat steak, mushrooms, sweet potato. Deviled eggs, fruit salad… Bread Machine Buttermilk Oatmeal Bread.
Wed : Chicken with tomatoes & wilted fresh spinach, over spaghetti. Beer bread. Red grapes.
Thurs: noon - Oven beef stew, beer bread, Dinner - Salmon, sweet potato, spinach. Sliced orange.
Fri: Shrimp, Skillet beet farro pistachio side w feta and fresh parsley - A NYT recipe that might now be behind paywall
Sat: Bacon apple pizza, spinach salad
Sun (today) : Breakfast - Shredded potato bacon egg casserole w Mexican cheese https://www.juliapacheco.com/slow-cooker-bacon-egg-casserole/
Dinner - Pork tenderloin, baked potato, broccoli, grape & pear fruit salad

14 Likes

Hi everyone, hope your holidays have been wonderful and relaxed. LLD and Lulu flew off to Vancouver early Friday morning and I have the place to myself until Wednesday night, when Lulu comes back (LLD is staying, visiting his family, for another 6 days). As I pulled away from the airport at 4:40 a.m. the Depeche Mode song Enjoy the Silence came on. I was amused. Here is what we’ve eaten this week:

Mon: Christmas! I roasted a side of salmon, and made horseradish sauce to go with it. Big salad with belgian endive, apples, blue cheese, and walnuts, and rolls. Lulu made homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast and chocolate cupcakes for dessert.

Tues: bagels with smoked salmon, etc., leftover salad

Wed: I went out for a drink with a friend, brought back sushi.

Thurs: linguine with greens,garlic, anchovies

Fri: solo! Roasted eggplant and tomatoes with saffron cream. A Diana Henry recipe from Simple.

Sat: picked up a pizza, no need to compromise on toppings!

Sun: going to make a shrimp/bean/lemon/garlic dish. Late i’ll have potato chips with creme fraiche and salmon roe (it’s been a very salmon-y week!)

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, delicious 2024!

15 Likes

Hello to everyone from the Twin Cities of MN where I am mean and awful because I sent the girls out to shovel the whole 1 inch of snow on the driveway. And I’m doing this to stall cause Mr Autumm is complaining of GI stuff and is having a nap instead of watching football. aka he really isn’t feeling well. Trying to be better organized about plans as I have survived 2 whole days of work with the most bizarre onboarding because the site supervisor is out with COVID. Half our residents have COVID so I’m trusting in my booster and my N95. . .

Actuals for 2 adults and 2 growing girls:

24/25: Christmas at my parents. Nothing remarkable but nice to be together with my family- haven’t seen my brother and his family for 2 years. (my poor mom- my brother claims to be gluten free/dairy free due to GI issues, but in reality he just eats whatever he wants after putting up a fuss about that has x in it and then taking some anti-gluten/anti-dairy tablet)

Tues 26: Takeout pizza at home

Weds 27: My first day of work in 3.5 years! My 6 hour shift turned into 10 due to technology issues (and when I called IT for help they said just delete the eval I spent 3 hours figuring out how to do and re-write it tomorrow) Thankfully there was leftover Thai takeout for them and wine for me

Thurs 28: Fish sticks, freezer fries, crudite

Fri 29: Little one at a sleepover so big kiddo wanted to make something special for Mr Autumm and we went with beef goulash with dumplings. Very proud of her she did everything except trim the raw meat. I scrounged- don’t care for goulash. Also used the other half of the costco pack of chuck for slow cooker italian beef

Sat 30: Italian beef sandwiches, spinach salad. Cooked the beans for a future batch of white chicken chili

Sun 31: Plan was assorted snacky apps while playing an all family game of Solarquest vs Ticket to ride but with an ill Mr Autumm chicken noodle soup might make an appearance for him.

Mon 1: No skating due to the holiday- white chicken chili in the crock pot

Happy New Year Everyone!

14 Likes

Such major transitions for you and your family! Sounds like you are doing great with the meals. I hope it’s possible to get take out when the need arises, as it inevitably does for my family of three, even with 2 retired parents. Who have a lot going on despite being retired…

Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Hope the vaccine and mask do the trick, and that Mr A feels better soon. Impressed with your daughter’s kitchen initiative!

3 Likes

Tell e more about the charred broccoli salad

1 Like