Weekly Menu Planning – August 2022

Sounds really successful in the laid-back, flexible planning department - kudos!

4 Likes

Thanks for the Oleana tips! We’re all very excited :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s great you are adjusting to it! With LLD gone, the beans come forth! Enjoy the carry out tonight! Did Lulu get her learner’s permit? Can’t believe she has only 2 years of high school left…

6 Likes

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore and trying to use up some stuff from the freezer

Tuesday: Stewed chicken with sour cream + chive dumplings from Simply Julia https://sneakyguacamole.wordpress.com/2022/06/26/stewed-chicken-with-sour-cream-chive-dumplings/
Wednesday: chicken marsala over egg noodles https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-marsala-232152
Thursday: spinach and ricotta gnocchi with fontina fonduta from Cook Like A Rock Star cookbook by Anne Burrell https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/spinach-ricotta-gnocchi-with-fontina-fonduta-378174
Friday: leftovers from Wednesday
Saturday: leftovers from Thursday
Sunday: skirt steak with jalapeno butter from Endless Summer cookbook, Moroccan carrots (same cookbook)

16 Likes

I’ve been thinking about making the chicken and dumplings recipe. Have you made it before? Can you tell me how easy/good it is?

I haven’t made it before so this is a new one for me. I’ll report back.

1 Like

What a fabulous-sounding week of meals, NJChicaa. Every one of those sound like they’d be enjoyed here (copying to my ideas list…)

3 Likes

Greetings, people.

Full-on busy putting up summer produce, taking a class at a local baking school (my first since the pandemic started), and providing support for my 94-y.o. father. Never enough hours in the day this time of year, so trying to keep dinners this week in the “no brainer” department.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Pork tenderloin on the grill (rolled from last week). Roasted lemony Greek potatoes with green beans, feta and olives.

SAT: Roasted halibut niçoise (more green beans and potatoes).

SUN: A baking class in the afternoon. I believe dinner will be cinnamon rolls and sticky buns

MON: Spicy honey-brushed chicken thighs. Cucumber salad. Steamed rice.

TUE: Summer minestrone with garden veg. Homemade focaccia.

WED: Zucchini-lamb kofta. Greek salad. Pita wraps.

THUR: Kenji’s Oklahoma onion burgers. Assorted crudities and garden veg.

14 Likes

Looks great, especially the cinnamon rolls and sticky buns for dinner! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The spinach and ricotta gnocchi sound really good, I’m saving that recipe!

1 Like

We’re back in Asheville after a week in the Midwest. Craving lots of veggies and seafood/fish. These are the recipes I’ve shopped for:

I’ve also got some CSA veg to work in. Happy to share any recipe links tomorrow, if wanted.

15 Likes

Hello to everyone from the Twin Cities of MN where the State Fair is going again and all the traffic craziness associated with it has returned. On a positive, most road construction projects are finished or roads open to traffic for this time so Yippie- we can get home from skating without a 2 mile detour! Our upcoming reno is getting closer and closer every day and getting a little freaked out but I’m a procrastinator so I know deep down I can do this! I’m doing rather well on the “Drinking wine so I don’t have to deal with it” category.

Actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 growing girls in a sea of crazy but my tile order arrived today so life is good!

Sun 21: Pizza Pudgy pies and S’mores while camping. Clear skies and stunning star gazing

Mon 22; Foil dinners over the campfire. Smokies, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers with salsa and cheese to garnish. Rain and storms moved in so an epic game of War in the tent replaced dessert

Tues 23: Drive thru burgers as we left our camping adventure early due to previous overbite rain and a very wet forecast. Big kiddo turned 11. Put a cantle on her cheese burger and called it good

Weds 24: Red Lobster Takeout for big kiddo’s birthday Easiest way to get her crab legs. . .Yes, my 11 year old wanted crab legs for her birthday

Tonight! Both kiddos skated: Takeout planed overs, although Mr Autumm and little kiddo ate more salad than I anticipated. GRR to eating veggies.

Fri 26: Driving out to the CSA for pickup as we missed our drop off. Hopefully the grill (on it’s last legs) will cooperate with Italian salad dressing marinated chicken breasts, bruschetta, green beans and other veggie goodness

Sat 27": BLTs with zucchini fritters. Corn on the cob. Smoke the brisket (freezer) for pastrami

Sun 28P Leftovers/ freezer dive an CSA veggies

Enjoy the last weeks of summer everyone!

18 Likes

Thank you! They’ve been great about masking. I teach a lot of pre-meds, some already working in the field, so I’m lucky that way.

3 Likes

The marinade for that NYT Cooking recipe is outstanding. Reminds me of Indonesian beef saté or maybe even rendang. The red pepper flakes gave a sufficient kick, too. Would make again.

1 Like

I had forgotten how much less time-consuming it is to teach in-person versus online. My students have been good about masking, and my CO2 meter has shown sufficient ventilation. (Yes, I’m THAT person.) So, I’m feeling a bit better. With fewer online students, it’s almost like my time at home is mine again. Whoa!

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Starting off with the rest of last week’s chocolate chip scones. May well make more. Chocolate seems important to my breakfast needs right now.

S (tonight): takeout - Burritos.

Su: Husband is attending an outdoor concert with a friend. Easy meal of fruit, cheese, hummus, and sourdough for me.

M: Chicken Caesar salad pizzas (on Boboli, which I haven’t had in YEARS).

T: Pasta with fresh tomato sauce (or vodka sauce?), spinach and parm - vegetarian

W: Chicken quesadillas

Th: Spinach tortellini with tuna and peas - seafood

F: https://www.budgetbytes.com/curry-beef-with-peas/

Have a good week!

14 Likes

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Yes to teaching online asynchronous undergraduate college classes. Most of my colleagues hate doing this but I prefer it and began to specialize in this before the pandemic.

It works for my situation (very large undergraduate classes; lots of support to design and deliver high quality instruction with a LOT of help for students).

It works for the students, most of whom are from poverty backgrounds with complex lives (jobs, children, other dependants, unreliable transportation, living distant, often poorly prepared for college, etc).

Given recent and current realities, pandemic, fuel costs (I live about 88 km from workplace) and my own complex caregiving responsibilities, I will try to continue remote teaching as long as I can.

Hope your days smooth out and you and your students remain healthy.

8 Likes

These sound so good. I agree on the importance of chocolate! I brought a bunch to a friend who just delivered a baby. She needed it - dopamine - fo’ realz.

4 Likes

They sound awesome. Any tips? :wink:

2 Likes

A big Yay for getting time back! And I love how you’ve stuck with the vegetarian/seafood meal thing each week.

I wore a mask to indoor Pickleball last week, and one of the guys playing asked “so what’s with the mask?” I politely mentioned covid while gritting my teeth. Please continue to be the person who cares.

9 Likes

Hi from Chapel Hill, NC. You may remember that LLD was away last weekend. Well, he brought back an unwanted guest: he’s got covid. He’s feeling pretty miserable. I woke up with a very sore throat, but tested negative. Aside from that I’m feeling fine, but of course have canceled everything for the coming week, and will retest tomorrow just in case. We’re all hanging out in different rooms, masking when not, and doing our best. Better now than 2 years ago. Here is what we’ve eaten:

Tuesday: chicken fricassee with olives, saffron, lemon (150 Best Recipes) with rolls

Wednesday: roasted chicken sausages over polenta with tomatoes, eggplant, and garlic

Thursday: one of our favorite restaurants is closing (St James) so we had dinner out. Eek in retrospect

Friday: Bulls game, tacos

Saturday: roast chicken with potatoes, anchovies, lemon, rosemary- this was from the Guardian, and delicious

Sunday: ordering in pizza

Wishing everyone a wonderful week. Fall is slightly in the air here and I love it.

15 Likes